Has anyone else had business setbacks? I'm in need of some inspriation!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollydolly

Reaction score
Hey guys, I started my first salon in November last year at 19, renting as I didnt know what to expect, but I built it up from a blind start, by walking miles doing leaflet drops etc,I was worried, excited and stressed but to my astonishment I was rushed off my feet within weeks and it was consistent, Unfortunately due to many stressful hurdles and trusting a business woman who only wanted to take advantage my age ( long story), I threw in the towel this month. (But happy as all my clients want me mobile)
Although I am absolutely Gutted and feel like a failure, I have learned things about business and can't wait to start another venture in a few years as I feel like I have LOTS to learn still, I was just wondering if anything like this had happened to you when you first started and where you are now, as I find sucess stories very inspiring!

Please tell all :)

Thanks in advance!
x

OMG! I can't believe u started a salon at 19. That's AMAZING!!! I don't think you'll realise how much of an achievement that was untill you're older. Like most 19 year olds I was way 2 busy partying 2 really care about anything but having fun.

Life is never smooth, the path of business is even rougher. U will meet some unpleasant characters, not everyone has the same business morals as u. I'm sure we've all been burnt, conned etc. In fact I've just been swindled £200 :cry: **** happens. But I think the most important thing is to learn from it and make sure the same **** doesn't happen again.

I used to work in an office and always dreamed of working for myself. I've had quite a few unsuccessful business ventures, I'm sure a lot of people would have given up. But I've kept trying different things and now I finally have a business that works for me.

I do semi-permanent eyelashes full time and opened my own little shop last october. I started from home, then rented rooms in salons to build up my clientelle.

I've been meaning to read Simon Cowells autobiography for a while. Hav heard it's quite inspirational. He lost everything at the age of 30. He only had £5 left in his pocket and took a taxi home. Look at him now!

You are not a failure. You did something that most people wouldn't have the courage to do in a lifetime. Nor r u giving up. I admire that.

Wow, u've achieved this by 19, I wonder where you'll b when you're 30...?

Prob ruling the world lol x

Well done you for giving it a go and for be honest enough with yourself to say you still have things to learn. We have had our salon for nearly 4 years now and we are STILL learning, trying new things only for them to fall flat adds to your wealth of knowledge but you will not have failed, you will always have learnt something from that experience good and bad. So all I will say is hold on to your dream stay focused in what you do and keep your eyes wide open for any new opportunities...you never know when they will show up.
Keep smiling and good luck you still have years ahead of you. xx

I havent got any stories but just wanted to say well done for getting as far as you have at such an early age!
I live my life by this saying and it's so true...
Everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that u can appreciate them when they are right. You believe lies so that you aventually learn to trust no one but yourself,and sometimes good things fall apart so that better things fall together.

xxx

All of us make mistakes, all of us have made bad judgement calls. We learn huge lessons that way which stand us in good stead for the rest of our lives. It is far better to make these mistakes when young than if you were trying to do your first shop at 40.

Posted via Mobile Device

Beautiful Story! Hold your head up high be proud ! You are obviously very smart NEVER GIVE UP
Posted via Mobile Device

awww thank you everyone :) xx

Hi
I understand how you feel. When I was 21 I rented a room in town. My family and friends helped me no end and my dad was my main support helping with advertising ect. well 2 months into it and it was going really well,,,, my dad died, and I down hill,,,, I was having clients and was just going in on the days I had clients in,,, my heart wasn't in it and a couple of months later the woman I was renting off told me to either pull my socks up or leave,,, so I left,,, she was getting her rent on time all she was interested was in getting extra business her way.
Since then I have worked in salons looking since then for a salon and if something come up nothing has,,, well nothing that I can say straight away "this is it".
I lost my job in July last year after 5 years being there and my partner and his children said about working from home. It told me a day to say "yes I can do this" and with advise and support again from family and friends I'm now working from home. I'm 28 and I always wanted my own salon before I'm 30 so I have kinda got it,,,,, in the next 5 years I want a salon. Everything is going really well from home it's great and I feel ready this time around. Working in a salon has given me experience and I feel that noone looks at me as though I'm a silly kid and don't know anything.
It's a 24/7 job having your own business, you have done it once and it didn't work but don't get put off,,,, your doing mobile, clients are follwoing, your building a client base give it time and you can think again about a salon,,,, only next time you'll be wiser and know when someone is taking advantage.

HOLLY DOLLY -my daughter is also called Holly Dolly!
I was 18 when i started my first business(many many years ago).My Dad was my greatest supporter too,sadly he died 8 months ago.He was a great believer in the work ethic and instilled that in me-finally!Many people of my generation had very little in the way of financial help and just had to work long hours and learn by their mistakes.Enthusiam for our business and a positive attitude,even though there was no money,and going on courses and to trade shows,and finally meeting inspirational people ,that helped cement the direction you wanted to go in -or perhaps feel you could do a better job in your area.
I have made sooo many mistakes in business,i have cut corners and paid the price,i have grown cocky with clients and lost them,i have put my trust in the wrong people,and i have been a really terrible book keeper.But thru each and every disaster you scrape thru,you learn a little.but i never never gave up.By this time ,sure i had to keep going i had a living to earn!
This is a bit rambling,what i am trying to say is- get back on that horse,you have an entreprenurial spirit,that is clear from your first business-so what if that didnt work out? You will be better the next time around- you have learned valuable lessons.

Latest posts

Back