Has nail biting caused this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephR

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I had a lovely new client in last night with her daughter. Both of them are nail biters, the mum is worse than the daughter as she's been biting most of her life.

As expected there was a lot of cuticle build up and I'm pretty sure I've sold them on the fact solar oil will help, I didn't shut up about it! Anyway the mums thumb nails had big dips in them. I want to say ridges but its just the one and it'd very big and deep. It's on both thumbs. She did mention her brother has the same thing and he's a nail biter too. Here's a picture of the thumbs. Both myself and my client would like to know what this is so if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.

5ugebe6y.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk 2

Ive seen this and it was also a nail biter. I think its caused by the habit of hmm, well. Put your thumb in your mouth then rub your bottom teeth up and down the length of the nail, as in where you client has her valley! Hope I have been clear enough and hope this helps. :)

Hi. It seems to me that your client had a felon (panaritium) that led to infection of a cuticle and damage of a nail root. Damage of a nail root leads to bifurcation and deformation of a nail plate. she need a check with a doctor to prevent infection on all fingers is necessary.
I had a client with the same problem but her problem was a result of a bad manicure. She had all the symptoms but did nothing and ended up with no nail at all on one finger.
This is from Encyclopedia

(also dactylitis), an acute purulent inflammation of a digit, most often a finger. The principal cause is infection of a microtrauma, such as a hangnail, puncture, or abrasion. Panaritium may be superficial, affecting cutaneous or subcutaneous tissue or tissue beneath the nail, or deep, affecting tendon, bone, or joint. A special form of panaritium is paronychia— inflammation of the tissue folds surrounding the nail. Inflammation of all the tissues of the digit is called pandactylitis. The symptoms of panaritium are severe, pulsating, twitching pain that deprives the patient of sleep; swelling; redness; and soreness of the suppurative focus. Treatment is surgical. In the early stages of superficial panaritium, conservative measures, such as compresses, baths, and physiotherapy, are helpful. In other cases, immediate surgery is advisable.

I have seen this several times my OH's mum has a mild form of it, every time I have seen it it had been down to the client pickinbg and rubbing the eponichium constatnly. As soon as they left it alone it did actually start to look a lot more normal!

Go to Google and search for 'habit tic nail' lots of images will come up. You can see if a nail is infected and these don't look infected at all...

My daughters index finger nails were like this when she used to bite her nails, they are now normal as she stopped biting them a couple of years ago.
If she can persevere and not bite then hopefully with a lot of love and care they will return to normal.
Xx

I have a male client with just the same (on both his thumbs), his is growing out quite well now

Thank you guys, she said its been like it years so I doubt its an infection. I hope it isn't anyway cause we shellaced her nails with negligee. Her daughter is a nail biter too and she did say it happened on one of her nails, scared her so much she stopped biting them as bad they are both buyers. They want to kick the habit so I'm hoping with us working together we can do it. Here are some before and after pics. First 2 are the daughter, second 2 the mum.

6egu8yre.jpg
y4utyge5.jpg

vepe9yzu.jpg
zuguqu4a.jpg

Thank you guys, she said its been like it years so I doubt its an infection. I hope it isn't anyway cause we shellaced her nails with negligee. Her daughter is a nail biter too and she did say it happened on one of her nails, scared her so much she stopped biting them as bad. they are both still biters though. They want to kick the habit so I'm hoping with us working together we can do it. Here are some before and after pics. First 2 are the daughter, second 2 the mum.

So do you think if I manage to get this client to stop biting her nails that her thumbs will improve? I'm hoping so because I think this will give her the kick up the bum that's needed to stop biting?! Xx

What a great project to have! It looks like a fab start. Terrific job. Please keep us updated. I hope they both succeed. For motivation tell them you are showing how well they are doing on SG. Let them know the geeks are cheering them on! Lets all give a heart for each new round of photos to show our support.

They both know this, I asked for their permission before I posted pics both on here and on facebook and they were more than happy. I've offered them both free nail art too when they get their nails to a condition and length we are both happy with so I'm thinking 3rd or 4th shellac treatment which will be 6-8 weeks after the first one. They both love tropix too so that is the goal, tropix and nail art! Xx

ebature2.jpg
e3uty8e7.jpg

Well they were both back in for their second shellac manicures today, 2 weeks after the last time. Both have tiny free edges now and the thumbs are looking better on mum already.

Both been finding it hard though and nibbling away at the skin around the nails. I've told them off so fingers crossed in 2 weeks time there will be a bigger improvement.

Xx

Ooh I'm just commenting on this as I'd like to keep a track! ;-) Love a project! My friend won't have shellac as she's a biter! Would like to get her out of the habit! X

Hey just a little suggestion, hope u dont mind, it has sometimes worked for my biter clients, i suggest trying to apply solar oil when they want to bite the surrounding skin. Obviously they wont do it everytime as they dont always notice they have their hands in their mouth but they will do it every so often and it will also soften the surrounding skin which will mean there is less of a temptation as there is less dry 'picky bits' (as i call them lol) of skin to bite off! Hope they, with ur help, manage to kick the habbit. x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I want to see the progress too and compliment you on your work. I think nail biters are tough and you've done an awesome job!

Hey just a little suggestion, hope u dont mind, it has sometimes worked for my biter clients, i suggest trying to apply solar oil when they want to bite the surrounding skin. Obviously they wont do it everytime as they dont always notice they have their hands in their mouth but they will do it every so often and it will also soften the surrounding skin which will mean there is less of a temptation as there is less dry 'picky bits' (as i call them lol) of skin to bite off! Hope they, with ur help, manage to kick the habbit. x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Great minds think a like because I told them to do it too lol. Xx

Great minds think a like because I told them to do it too lol. Xx

Have you got them both on CND Cuticle Eraser too? CND recommendations are Cuticle Eraser + SolarOil together in the morning as a moisture pack, then SolarOil again in the evening (although up to 4 times a day would be good for these).

Cuticle Eraser uses a blend of alpha-hydroxy acids (A.H.A.s) to micro-exfoliate and condition the surrounding skin, as well as moisturising the nail plate itself - see if you can get them to use it and they will see a marked difference in their skin, making it less tempting to pick/chew! x

Looking good. Hopefully they can give up the habit x

Latest posts

Back