Have I cracked it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailchic83

Reaction score
When preparing a nail for extensions i always remove shine with a white sanding block which looks a bit battered!! my friend uses a 100 grit nail file to do this! is this the reason why i am having lifting on all of my clients i make sure the product isnt touching cuticle and side walls? it suddenly clicked that this is maybe the reason i am having troubles:green:

Hi I use a 240 grit to remove shine but it all down to great prep to stop lifting and clients taken care of nails and using cuticle product of your brand. x

Last edited:
there are threads on here from people who have forgotten to buff the nail and they stil havnt got lifting, so i would say that your thinking isnt quite on the right track. make sure the nail is thoroughly prepped / dehydrated, and all non living tissue emoved from the nail plate. there are LOADS of threads abut lifting;

Click here

There is no need to use any grit coarser than 240 on the natural nail, you are only removing shine not actual nail. There is no need to "rough" up the nail plate.

hth:)

I agree, a 100 grit is far too coarse! It'll be removing layers of nail. Prep is the key to not having lifting. Make sure you remove all the non-living tissue in accordance with whatever system you are using. Then your nails will adhere well. xx

When preparing a nail for extensions i always remove shine with a white sanding block which looks a bit battered!! my friend uses a 100 grit nail file to do this! is this the reason why i am having lifting on all of my clients i make sure the product isnt touching cuticle and side walls? it suddenly clicked that this is maybe the reason i am having troubles:green:

You shouldn't be using a white block as it is impossible to sanitise between clients and you certainly shouln't be using a 100grit on the natural nail.

Have you had training to use the products you are using ? If you are having problems your Educator is the best place to start - HTH

Sanding blocks aren't a winner with me tbh.
They can't be properly sanitised for one thing x

A 240 grit file should be used and only remove shine from the nail plate and only use your file gently from eponychium up towards the free edge. You only need to remove the 'shine' not the 'surface' of the nail.

If you continually use a harsh file to 'rough up' the nailplate before application, you will thin the nail so much over time that it will not be strong enough to maintain your enhancements and you will get lifting. This would happen with someone you are prepping in this way regularly.

There are so many important aspects to prep - dehydrating the nail properly, not touching the nail after prep, etc., etc. Please do a search, as has been suggested, on 'lifting' and also 'prep'

HTH

i always remove shine with a white sanding block which looks a bit battered

if it looks a bit battered, not only is it unsanitary, it's more than likely got very little grit left at all.

I see you use Ezflow. Well EzFlow train you to use a 180 grit zebra file to remove the shine so I would recommend you use what is taught to get the best results. It is also essential that you remove any non-living tisse from the cutile area, dehydrate and prime.

Hi I also use a 100 grit to remove shine but it all down to great prep to stop lifting and clients taken care of nails and using cuticle product of your brand. x

when you use a 100 grit file on the natural nail you are not removing the shine...you are removing layers of nail...you are etching the nail...this isn't good.

prep is very important when preforming nail enhancements....safe prep is even more important....looking after the natural nail MUST be number 1....otherwise how will we ever rid this stigma that nail enhancements ruin nails.:!:

when you use a 100 grit file on the natural nail you are not removing the shine...you are removing layers of nail...you are etching the nail...this isn't good.

prep is very important when preforming nail enhancements....safe prep is even more important....looking after the natural nail MUST be number 1....otherwise how will we ever rid this stigma that nail enhancements ruin nails.:!:

i agree with the other angie....it's not nail enhancements that ruin nails....it's nail technicians that ruin nails
if u try everything the geeks have told u and u still have lifting...i'd change liquids (for example i had lifting on a few clients while i was using CND radical...so i tried CND retention + and that solved the problem)

good luck :hug: angie

Latest posts

Back