Have i done the right thing??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky n

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I have recentley started working for myself renting a space in a salon that has just been refurbed into a hair and beauty salon berore it was just a beauty salon! The lady that owns the salon is really nice and the hairdresser that works there is her sister in law so i find it hard as they are really close and older than me and tend to boss me about a bit at times! I have to pay £150 a week rent and i dont even have my own room we share a big room upstairs which can be divided by a curtian but she does alot of holistic treatments which means i cant be up there when she is doin them! She also said she would help me and give me all the new clients as i needed to build up a client base and she already had her clients but she has been doing the new clients!!

I think i have made a mistake!! do you all think it sounds like it would like some other opinions. thanx xxx

Hi Nicky, did you agree to the rent before or after it was refurbed into the hair and beauty salon? Have you got a contract? Also how on earth are you expexted to pay that much rent if she is taking on all the new clients, and even if you have a client I assume you have to fit around her holistic treatments as she wont let you upstairs whilst she is performing! You need to talk to the owner seriously about the situation, maybe ask for a couple of weeks break paying the rent until you've had time to settle in and got some of the new clients, if not deffinately look for somewhere else! Good luck xx

I should say that i did work there for about 3 months when it was just a beauty salon rent free as i was hardly earning and i did agree to the rent i just thought it would be ok i was told by both of them many many times it would be fine and they would help me and they were super sure i would make money and get clients!

I dont know if im too trusting and that maybe they just made me beleive it would be ok because they wanted my rent!!?? xx

Wow £150 seems a hell of a lot to me to pay a week!!!

Maybe, but they were fair with you in the beginning giving you 3 months rent free. I would let them know how you feel, as you agreed to the rent and they did promise you they would help you acheive it, and help you with new clients.

leave.
she is taking the mick.

is £150 a week alot? ive never done this before so have no idea and dont really know anyone who has what is the average weekly rent then does anyone have any ideas??? xx

£150 is a hell of a lot to be paying. In my last place, I was only paying £80 a week, albeit for a tiny room, but now I've got a bigger room in a different hairdressers and I'm still only paying £100.

Hippy Chick is right. This woman is taking the mick!
I would either try and negotiate a cheaper rent figure, or find somewhere else.
Hope it works out hun. :hug:
xxx

I think it is too much to pay, especially as you don't have use of the space all the time, ie when a holistic treatment is going on.

I have heard others say that you should aim to be paying no more than 20% of your average takings in rent. Would you be able to turnover close to £800 per week? Think about it logically and then decide what to do.

Cheers,
Hazel

Leave now and work mobile x

is £150 a week alot? ive never done this before so have no idea and dont really know anyone who has what is the average weekly rent then does anyone have any ideas??? xx

It varies in different areas. I pay 75.00 a week for a reception and two treatment rooms. You're paying alot hun I think, you might want to compare with other rooms/spaces to rent in your area though. I would however, give the owner the opportunity to keep you perhaps. Good luck, dont let them walk all over you though, keep it in perspective and dont be too trusting, believe me, it gets you nowhere. Always, look after yourself, because nobody else will (not including family and close friends, lol) ! xxxx:hug:

Hello there

WOW you are paying way over the top babe, i rent a rooms up above a hairdressers, and was paying £100 a week, but i have had a word with the hair salon manager and have had it reduced to £80 a week now and I still dont get a wage, Though I have only been there since Febuary this year, it is going well but just covering the rent,

I dont know how your doing it on a £150 a week especially if your building up your client base

To be honest I think there pulling your leg and I seriously think you need to let them know that it is too much for you to cope with.

I honestly would find somewhere more suitable so your not having to not be there when she is doing her holistic treatments as its standing in the way of you, you could also have clients in at the same time.

It would of been more practical to have two separate rooms when they had it done up. I seriously think you need your own space.

dont worry about if they have been fair, thats not the point here, the point is that is not appropriate at this time for you to be paying too much

I hope things go well for you, let us all know how you get on. dont be :Scared: just talk it over with them both

Yes £150 a week is an awful lot, especially as you don't have exclusive use of the room. What if this other lady was to get really busy and you could only use the room one day a week? Would you still be expected to pay the full amount? It all sounds a bit fishy to me - like having your cake and eating it too. If it were me, I'd be busy looking for somewhere else.

Thanks for all your thoughts guys i am in such a mess about the whole thing and really dont know what to do with myself!!! I am wondering if i am cut out to be self employed everyone says im not tough enough!!! lol!!

Appreciate your help xxx

You are tough enough its all a learning experience m8, I dont agree with how much you have to pay as the room isnt exclusively yours. I think you should find somewhere better
You need your own room, a contract, a supply of products, access to appointment book and shared use of everything else.

Latest posts

Back