Having your nails done by another nail tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstewart

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me. I am a qualified nail tech and have been for 4 years with acrylic but only 3 months with gel.

My clients nails are all fine, I have no complaints of them lifting or coming off (except for a few nail biters), however whenever I do my own acrylics they lift the same night usually then are off after a few days, same with NSI Polish Pro too (although I know I do need practice in the application of this).....I just can't seem to keep them on! Granted I am a picker, I will admit :o

Sorry for waffling, but when I used to get them done by my local salon (before I could do them myself) I managed to keep them on without picking!

My question is, am I totally crazy to pay another tech to do my nails when I am trained to do them myself?? Does anyone else have this problem?? :Scared:

I have the same problem lol. When I do mine I always get a few that lift on my right hand but I take that as I'm right handed and I do them with my left hand. They start lifting after 2-3 days. I haven't gone to another tech but I probably would if I knew one lol.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I used to love having my nails done before doing my training. I generally do my own nails now but every now and then I have a lovely nail tech friend do them, and I love it! Although we're local to each other I don't worry about competition etc and if someone asked who did them I'd be happy to pass her number on.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me. I am a qualified nail tech and have been for 4 years with acrylic but only 3 months with gel.

My clients nails are all fine, I have no complaints of them lifting or coming off (except for a few nail biters), however whenever I do my own acrylics they lift the same night usually then are off after a few days, same with NSI Polish Pro too (although I know I do need practice in the application of this).....I just can't seem to keep them on! Granted I am a picker, I will admit :o

Sorry for waffling, but when I used to get them done by my local salon (before I could do them myself) I managed to keep them on without picking!

My question is, am I totally crazy to pay another tech to do my nails when I am trained to do them myself?? Does anyone else have this problem?? :Scared:

You probably didn't pick becaused you valued them more as someone else had done them and you had paid for them!

I only do my own nails ... There have been the few exceptions when travelling etc when I have paid for a service, but I never like the result as much as when I do my own, for the simple reason that no one knows my nails or how I like them to look, better than I do myself. I don't consider it a problem but why have a dog when you can bark yourself?

I haven't been to another nail tech since the day i started my training lol I always do my own nails - as Geeg says, nobody else knows the exact way i like my nails to look etc

i use my own nails to practice everything too - sculpting, nails art etc, just don't think I could justify paying someone else to do them ( unless of course it was someone mega amazing whose work I admired greatly then I would pay with no doubts at all lol ) xxx

You probably didn't pick becaused you valued them more as someone else had done them and you had paid for them!

I only do my own nails ... There have been the few exceptions when travelling etc when I have paid for a service, but I never like the result as much as when I do my own, for the simple reason that no one knows my nails or how I like them to look, better than I do myself. I don't consider it a problem but why have a dog when you can bark yourself?

I totally agree, since I qualified, I have done my own nails. I see it as a way of advertising.

Iv been doing my own for 3 years, been a qualified tech for 1 and a half! Im fussy and want something different every time! And like to showcase what i can do :) id only get them done by someone else if i was traveling :) xx

I only do my own nails ... There have been the few exceptions when travelling etc when I have paid for a service, but I never like the result as much as when I do my own, for the simple reason that no one knows my nails or how I like them to look, better than I do myself.

Completely agree, I am fine at doing my own nails but can never seem to get the smile lines correct on my right hand when doing french. Saw a Groupon deal for Shellac in a salon a few miles away so thought I would indulge. I loved the pampering side of it and the tech was lovely but the smile lines were too high and generally just not my cup of tea.

The great thing about doing your own is the ability to be able to fix any damage. I am terrible when removing acrylics on clients, I just can't seem to do a full removal without damaging my Gelish nails, guess I don't take as much care because I know I can touch them up myself x

Since training i always do my own nails... takes longer than on a client because unfortunately im not amidextress (sp?)
If i went to another tech and the shop lady said lovely nails, i couldnt lie and say it was my work because i cant lie... and saying "oh thankyou such and such did them, but i also do nails, heres my card" would sound silly, and probably be a wasted business card....

It takes practice but so does everything worth doing :)

Until I did my Manicure course I had never ever had anyone do my nails. I have always done my own. Even on my course, where the trainer practiced/showed me on my nails, then I did hers, as much as I enjoyed the experience, I will never have anyone ever do my nails again, for the simple fact that since this day my nails have been ruined :( She didnt file them properly and they all peeled and I had to cut them right back as short as they will go. Only now are they reached the tips of my fingers and this was almost a month ago I had it done.

Like others have said, if you can do it yourself...
I also see my own nails as a billboard for advertising :)

Thank you everyone for your replies......it would appear most of you do your own! And why not......if you can do it that is, but like I said I have been trained for 4 years in acrylic and have tried and tried and tried but cannot get them right on myself and definitely not to a standard where I can use myself as an advertisement!!

My left hand is ok but my right hand.....just dreadful!! :Scared: lol

The tech in my local salon who I used to go to and still go to for beauty treatments is really good and has absolute years on me (in terms of experience). I have never had a bad set done by her. She knows what I want because I tell her.......:wink2:

I hear what you guys are saying and believe me if the nails I do on myself looked half as good as the ones I do on my clients then I would have nice nails all the time. I am just tired of having nasty nasty nails and I think that is more of an embarrassment when I am doing a clients nails tbh as I am not a very good advertisement for myself.

Plus, it is not the same when you do your own nails......I miss the pampering feeling I guess :wink2:

Anyway, again thanks for your replies guys, I was just curious as to everyone elses thoughts on this :lol:

hi, dunno if this will help or not but i was once told to do my wrong hand first, i am right handed so i start on that hand first. I suppose it makes sense as i seem to have more concentration at the begining and then the left hand doesn't take as long.

:lol:

hi, dunno if this will help or not but i was once told to do my wrong hand first, i am right handed so i start on that hand first. I suppose it makes sense as i seem to have more concentration at the begining and then the left hand doesn't take as long.

Thats the way i do it ;)

Thanks for the advice hunni......I have tried this and for me it does not work......I am just hopeless with my left hand! lol :Scared:

I do my nails on different days!

I'm such a perfectionist that it takes me so long to do my wrong hand that by the time I'm finished I can't bare to finish my left hand lol x

The number of times I've gone home with left n right hand in different state of repair lol! X

I used to love having my nails done before doing my training. I generally do my own nails now but every now and then I have a lovely nail tech friend do them, and I love it! Although we're local to each other I don't worry about competition etc and if someone asked who did them I'd be happy to pass her number on.

Aww I wonder who that be!! :)
I do my own too don't like paying for a service I can do myself but do feel sometimes it would be nice! I am
Too fussy though would be the client from hell!!

Aww I wonder who that be!! :)
I do my own too don't like paying for a service I can do myself but do feel sometimes it would be nice! I am
Too fussy though would be the client from hell!!

Ah, when you know a lovely lady who is fab at nails...seems silly not to!

I too miss having a pamper of my own...I've started having facials done purely just to get some pampering back!

I go to another nail tech to get mine done. She has been doing my nails for about 6 years, and it was her that started me on the path to training etc. I still get mine done - we use the same gel, and I tend to have a colour rather than anything else. Some people think it's false advertising - but in my mind it's showing how the coloured gels look in real life rather than on a stick!

Apart from anything else..... I love getting my nails done. It's my "me" time - I work hard doing other people's nails, so I deserve a treat. I don't think I'd fit in time to do them myself either to be honest.

Since I trained 8 years ago, I have always done my own nails. I know I am too fussy to let anyone else do them. I am my best advertisement. I trial all new products on myself so I know exactly what my clients are getting and what to expect.

Personally, I would be embarrassed to tell a client someone else did my nails. I used to do another nail techs nails and she told her clients she did them herself :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back