Healthy Lunch Ideas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Guild

Reaction score
The other half and I are starting on the pre-wedding diet in January, and I radically need to alter hubby's eating habits. I will get him having a healthy breakfast and dinner together is quite easy but I am stuck on what to make for our lunches. We only have access to a microwave at work, so can't construct anything complicated. Does anyone have any good recipe ideas?

Hubby is a bit of a fussy eater, so I can already say humous is out of the question. I've seen a few suggestions of using cous cous, but I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

A nice chunky home-made soup....mmmm....

A jacket potato with beans or prawns and a ready made salad. Or wraps instead of bread, crackers and soft cheese instead of bread and hard cheese. Tuna, sweetcorn and pasta.

All the tesco asda, diet micro meals are yummy!
They are usually low calorie aswell.

it really depends on what your hubby to be is like with food?

my partner was adament that he hated things like peppers and salad, but when i tried to help him eat healthy he changed his mind...just make things exciting!!

i find it boring at the thought of just your basic salad-lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber.....but if you add red onion, peppers, avocado, sweetcorn, celery, mushrooms..anything you want, its not so boring. try a dressing such as balsamic vinegar, or makeup your own vinegarette...again healthier than mayonnaise or salad cream, and you can vary the flavours.

with the colder months, you can easily make soups and stews (from scratch and healthy), and then heat in the morning before work and store in a flask. this will keep it warm until lunch.

you can also make things like rice salad and serve with chicken.

i would suggest eating any carbs, such as bread, rice during the day rather than at night. (this is just my opinion)

oh and dont think of this as a diet. that will just make you feel like your depriving yourself and will make you miserable!!

ive got loads of healthy recipes if you need any...i love cooking!!

Pasta salad is quite nice - brown pasta spirals mixed with extra light mayo, pepper and whatever veg you fancy. I actually eat this out of fun as it tastes nice, not for health!

I share your pain though, I'm on Slimfast at the min!

Try the Fuller Longer range from Marks & Spencer. I had one the other day that was sundried tomato & Basil Chicken in a cous cous salad with a balsamic dressing, and it was delicious. Also I did not feel like a snack all afternoon as it had been so filling.
Trying that will let you see if he likes cous cous before you go doing anything with it yourself!!

3 of us at work have decided to go on a diet so have been stocking up on things to eat for lunch.
As someone has already said, tesco do some really tasty low fat meals. Had one yesterday-mushroom pasta bake thingy-tastes really nice and only £1!!
We have wholemeal pitta breads, salad stuff, kidney beans,tuna, sweetcorn and stuff in the cupboard.
The jolly green giant chucky soups are really low in fat too.
I take some boiled eggs in some days and we have microwave rice, chicken breasts, roe and low fat cheese as well.
Tesco also do some microwaveable steamed potatoes with butter and seasoning which are surprisingly low fat and very tasty. Perfect for a salad.
We also got some laughing cow light cheese and ryvitas. We're spoilt for choice now.
We were spending a fortune on lunch every day between us so we've saved money too.
I just love tesco. I went there and spent less than £20 and i bought 3 plates, a tin opener, 2 sieves, cheese grater, dessert spoons as well as the rice, sweetcorn, kidney beans, 2 packs of ryvitas, low fat salad cream, laughing cow cheese and 3 packs of steamed potatoes-bargain!!

Pasta salad is quite nice - brown pasta spirals mixed with extra light mayo, pepper and whatever veg you fancy. I actually eat this out of fun as it tastes nice, not for health!

I share your pain though, I'm on Slimfast at the min!

I was on slimfast before xmas and lost 6lb in 2weeks! also found it a lot easier than other diets!

The shakes and snacks are so yummy! Only thing is it's quite pricey Bodycare charge 85p for one shake which makes it £11.90 for a weeks worth but dont forget your snacks and eve meals but my local tesco charges £1.65 a bottle :O
Asda do offers regularely £1 each or at the mo 2 for £2

Try cutting up so chicken cooking it in a frying pan with spices like you would when your doing fajitas or whatever.. and do some pasta and mix some light philedelphia with pasta and there u go..is v. yummy its even better with noodles and chilli sauce or rice!

Or yes as everyone has said stews!!!!! they lasts days aswell so just make loads and freeze it my mum does this but i prefer all the veg properly blended so no lumps..and then lumps of meat..YUMMY.

Errm braising steak in yorkshire pudding gravy have with some onions and carrots peas etc i wouldn't say that's overly bad for you, it's my fave meal..minus the veg!

I was on slimfast before xmas and lost 6lb in 2weeks! also found it a lot easier than other diets!

The shakes and snacks are so yummy! Only thing is it's quite pricey Bodycare charge 85p for one shake which makes it £11.90 for a weeks worth but dont forget your snacks and eve meals but my local tesco charges £1.65 a bottle :O
Asda do offers regularely £1 each or at the mo 2 for £2

At the min in Tesco and Boots are doing them half price so I've stocked up on the shake powders - I've bought enough to last me for about 8 or 9 weeks, each tub lasts about a week and they were only £3 each.

It's actually working out miles cheaper than when I wasn't dieting, which is a first! I didn't like the vanilla bottled one I tried, it tasted really strange. I'm sticking to the powdered shakes rather than messing about with meal bars and things.

Thanks guys, you've been a big help. I will give some of those ideas a go.

Some guys i know actually really liked the weightwatchers meals and they just go in the microwave, which is nice for cold weather.

Girl who works with me has been on a diet/lifestyle change and has now lost 6 1/2 stone. It took about 3 years but it was sensible.

Drink 2 litres if water a day
Make sure you have a breakfast to kick off you metabolism, she has cereal or fruit in summer.
Lunch she has a wrap with some salad bits and ham or fish.
Dinner she usually eats quite a bit of fish.

Keep a bowl of fruit at work for snacks.

Her and oh were both doing it, they put £1 in jar each week and at the end of set time, whoever lost more won it x

Well we decided to put £3.50 each a week away. We have saved more than that on food anyway. Whoever has lost the most at the end of the month gets the £42!!
Been to tesco again today and bought loads of stuff. They have these lovely toffee pudding things half price and only 4g fat per 100g-well you gotta have a treat!
Packet pasta and sauces which are really low fat. Some more of their healthy option meals, noodles and tinned stuff-have to get stuff that we can do in the microwave. I reckon we have enough for the 3 of us for almost 2 weeks and it cost £24! Ooh what to have for lunch tomorrow-lol

I'm not a big one for weighing myself, but have done lately just to see if anything is happening. Been eating a more healthy diet for just over a week. The main changes have been cutting out chocolate :Scared:, drinking 1.5 litres of water a day and eating breakfast, and so far I have lost 5lbs.

I will continue this week, and let myself have a little treat at the weekend for such good work!

Latest posts

Back