Help for any salon owners who rent rooms out..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suggest she buys a lamp with a dimmer on it then she will have dim light when she needs it and the florescent for waxing e.t.c when she doesn't. I personally would put in a sink and dimmer lamp and paint the walls and then rent the room to someone else/ or her at a higher price or charge a % per client that way the room is an investment for both of you. :hug: This takes away the "she wants" part as it is a mutual thing.

I've just rented a room within a gym and its only small 10x8ft, but I pay £50 pwk and all I asked for was a sink to be fitted in the room, the flooring to be changed as they had carpet down and I told them I need a mopable floor, and flourescent lights as I have chosen to have a lamp that I turn on for 'dimmed' light, and a new lock on the door. Which the gym agreed to do. They also white washed the walls for me as it was originally lilac paper.

I then painted it the colours I wanted and fitted my own cupboards in and fitted my own shelves and mirrors up.

If you ask me she's trying to get out of paying for as much of the set-up costs as possible and basically taking the mick!

I agree a proper door is best and a sink is better inside the room and as long as she can turn the lights off easily there's no reason why she can't use a touch lamp (which is what I brought), and to be honest she should be doing the decoration and shelving herself unless you agree to be 'paid' to do the work.

Watch her she seems to be a 'taker' and not a 'giver' she could prove to be difficult in the future. If you are adament of keeping her then get all future agreements and rental and everything written in a contract and make it fair so that she can give you notice if she wants out and you can give notice if you want her out - I've got a clause in my contract that we both give each other a months notice if they want me to leave or I want to leave - its just fair then.

Good luck x

yeah i decided today i will not put dimmers in and explain to her when we see her.. as its not a neccesity in my view..

Sounds like she could be trouble in the long run, for £15 per day with all her demands it will be ages before you make any profit for the room.

I have a sink in my room, the hot water broke about a year ago and it took about 8 months for them to fix it, i had to keep going out of room into hair salon to get water i didn't get rent reduction or anything and to top it off when it was finally fixed they installed an electric shower unit instead of a just fixing the pipes so no water actually comes out of the taps !

Another angle is maybe she wants the best for her clients and she is contentious. :hug: If costs are a problem why not tell her it's her responsibility to pay or split the costs? You set the rent so she is only going by your guidelines for all she knows if she is newly qualified that is the going rate for a room with no sink, no dimmer on the lights and a sliding door!

she has been doing beauty for 10 years so isnt newly qualified..

it was advertised at £25 more a week so she new the original price...

also its not a sliding door it has 2 panels and you pull from the left and it opens.. and more solid then the pull open door we are changing it to.. :irked:

but the more i think about it i think she is just trying to get out of actuallly doing anything when she moves in so its all done for her... which is not going to happen so its a no to the dimmer and we have white washed it for her...

Sounds like she could be trouble in the long run, for £15 per day with all her demands it will be ages before you make any profit for the room.

I have a sink in my room, the hot water broke about a year ago and it took about 8 months for them to fix it, i had to keep going out of room into hair salon to get water i didn't get rent reduction or anything and to top it off when it was finally fixed they installed an electric shower unit instead of a just fixing the pipes so no water actually comes out of the taps !

8 months is a long time... :eek: i wouldnt do that to her :lol:
has it still not got a normal sink now ?

she has been doing beauty for 10 years so isnt newly qualified..

I was confused by the fact that you said she is "young and I don't think she is ready to own her own room" she must be at least 26 if she has been working for 10 years and that's not young. :hug: Why not offer to make the changes for £25 rent, why did you drop the price?

because she said she said in her words ' i love it, its perfect and £15 a day gives me a chance to get clients '

and im opening on sat and she wants to start on sat and i knew i wouldnt be able to do much before then.. and also i had actually taken the advert off so had actually decided not to rent it anymore about a week before she came round..

but definetely not doing anything else as an agreement is an agreement... when i agreed on a rent price with my shop landord i got abit cheaper because we had to do a few things to the shop and i now cant go back and say well i actually need you need you to do this after all but still pay same rent.. thats how ive been thinking about it today :irked:

stubborn i might be but i just dont wont to start off with people taking the mick..

but definetely not doing anything else as an agreement is an agreement... when i agreed on a rent price with my shop landord i got abit cheaper because we had to do a few things to the shop and i now cant go back and say well i actually need you need you to do this after all but still pay same rent.. thats how ive been thinking about it today :irked:

stubborn i might be but i just dont wont to start off with people taking the mick..

That's better :hug::hug:

when i rented my rooms I had no sink, it was outside the room as yours is but it was no problem......
She really is taking the micheal... Get a sign up saying beauty room for rent until she pays a) a deposit and b) signs a contract dont let her get to you.
You have the power to say yea or nay it is YOUR salon. I had to pay a £1200 deposit just for my rooms and paid £95 a week £15 a day is way way too cheap you have over heads, electric, gas, water business rates all this has to be taken into account.

You need to make your point and tell her as it is. Dont let her spoil your open day
take care sweet, i understand its a difficult and worrying time but you will make a sucess of it all

thanks definetly thinking abit more different today i got to relax abit and realized i will have to tell her straight otherwise will carry on maybe not with demands on room but demands in other ways i reckon ..

and id rather clear it now then it come up in the next few weeks etc... because from experience it generally does..

As she said 'i love it and £15 a day gives me a chance to get clients', maybe you could suggest that she pays £15 a day and when she has some clients that it will go up to the original asking price.

Latest posts

Back