Help, Problem Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenski

Reaction score
Hopefully you'll have some suggestions. I have a client, who is always late and i'm not just talking 5mins,sometimes doesn't turn up atall ( on 3 occasions), books for an infill/rebalance then arrives and states she wants a soak off and new set, is always touching her nails after prep despite my constant reminders not to do so. She doesn't ever look after her nails, she's a cleaner and never wears gloves and yet is happy to leave her nails for 4 weeks sometimes without maintanance making my job very hard and time consuming, I've tried to be understanding that she is very busy etc, but it's reeally getting to me, This morning is the last straw, i left a family celebration early last night because she was booked in this morning and surprise surprise she's a no show. I'm considering charging her a no show fee, do any of you do this or am i just being abit over sensitive :cry: ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

It might be enough just to give her a "firm" phonecall explaining the inconvenience to you etc and that if she is late again you'll have to charge her, even if it means you can't perform the service. Have you mentioned this to her before, as she's been late/no show so many times? If you have I'd go ahead and charge her, but she might just avoid paying by going somewhere else. x

Hopefully you'll have some suggestions. I have a client, who is always late and i'm not just talking 5mins,sometimes doesn't turn up atall ( on 3 occasions), books for an infill/rebalance then arrives and states she wants a soak off and new set, is always touching her nails after prep despite my constant reminders not to do so. She doesn't ever look after her nails, she's a cleaner and never wears gloves and yet is happy to leave her nails for 4 weeks sometimes without maintanance making my job very hard and time consuming, I've tried to be understanding that she is very busy etc, but it's reeally getting to me, This morning is the last straw, i left a family celebration early last night because she was booked in this morning and surprise surprise she's a no show. I'm considering charging her a no show fee, do any of you do this or am i just being abit over sensitive :cry: ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

As it has already happened a few times you could get her to pay in advance & also tell her that by being late you will have to cut her appointment short & still charge for the time she has booked you out as it is not fair to your next clients to keep them waiting as their time is precious too.

Thankyou for the advice, MOOmin, i've spoken to her on several occasions about it, explaining about other clients being kept waiting etc, but it just doesn't seem to sink in. Pooh8bear, great idea about paying in advance, but as i never know the extent of the work needed it would be hard to price, but you have given me and idea of asking her for a deposit to secure her appointment, do you think that would be ok? And once again thankyou so much for your advice.

I guess it also depends on whether you want to keep her as a client or get rid lol. It sounds like you want to keep her but it's definitely time to get tough! If you can make the deposit idea work then I'm sure she'll think twice about stitching you up! You can always say "I'm getting so booked up at the moment I have a waiting list most of the time, so I'm taking deposits to ensure nobody misses out." Do you have a minimum cancellation policy? You could say to her that unless you get 24 hours notice that she can't make it, or has to change her appointment, you'll have to charge a fee. x

cancellation policy, what a fantastic idea, had never thought of that. I think i might go with that, as it wouldn't seem as though i'm just targeting her :) thankyou so much x

I just had this same problem: i told her straight up i want you to be my client but i wont service you if you are late: on her next appointment she was 15 mins early and very apologetic: obviously this woman likes your work but she doesnt realize the damage she is doing to you business. if she leaves your problem is solved: if she straightens up then its good too

No need to keep you other clients waiting. Explain to her if she gets there late, services will be reduced--but the cost will not. After all, disorganization on her part does not constitute an emergency on yours. If she is more than 15 minutes late; explain to her that she will not be recieving services today, but will still be paying for it. She will either start being on time, get used to paying for things she is not getting or go elsewhere. In any case, your schedule will not be compromised.

she doesnt sound like the type of client that you need really hun stand firm and stick to your guns remember its her problem shes late not yours, some really good advice above, we have a ten minute late policy in our salon, we dont charge for missed appts and we only charge for what repairs we can do in the time thats left, we dont get repeat offenders as usually the inconvieniance of having to re book which can get up to a wk later before we can book them in again is usually enough to stop them

I really detest these people!
These are the ones who are used to getting their own way all the time, and dont care that they are late and still expect to get everything done for them.
I would get a small sign made stating your new appointment policy, and as every client leaves tell them this. And say the same to this problem client!

I have tried to take deposits for appointments over the value of £25 but I find it doesnt work! Mainly as Im a cash only salon, so I cant take payments over the phone!

I used to go to a salon who stored your card details on file and on my first appointment when I signed the consultation form there was also a bit that I had to agree to my card being charged if I had to cancel within 24hours or I no showed. It was only a £5 charge too, no matter what the price of treatment was. I was a little scared at that tbh! But it worked, as I made sure I wasnt late or if I needed to cancel I would do it asap!!
I personally wouldnt do that in my salon, this was a large salon!

I would get rid! Seriously your business does not need this sort of client and she is taking the proverbial!

Next time she tries to book in tell her that you would prefer to leave it as she is so busy and can't always make her appointment. Tell her to ring you either the day before or on the day to see if you have any spaces. I have done this to someone and it turned her around, she is one of my best clients now! You need to make her understand that this is your living and that you cannot 'reserve' an appointment for her just in case she might want it!

The other thing is to have a sliding scale for infills and rebalances. The longer the client goes the more it costs. A lot of us do this as it does take more work the longer the nails have been left and in particular when they are not being looked after either!

You need to take control of your business and your clients and don't let this selfish woman dictate to you any more! :green:

Thankyou all so much for your advice and support it's really helped, I think the sliding scale for infills/rebalance is a great idea and i will be including that now. Thanks again you've all made me feel much better about this situation, and i will be firm with her and then she can decide if she wants to stay with me or go elsewhere x

Dear Jenski, you are nor over sensitive at all. You are right.
This customer simply doesn't respect your time :(

That's my advise:
When she will show up in your salon,
you should take a deep breath, and calmly explain her, that you left family celebration specially for her and it is simply not fair.

Wait for her reaction, but don't ask her to pay first.
She might tell her friends that you are expecting money, without explanation whole situation. I don't think it is worth.

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.

Hi,

I really find these kind of customers so annoying.

I would ask her to pre-pay when she is booking in the salon, she wont no-show then, even if it is half the cost of the treatment.

I would also consider whether she is a customer you really need, while she is not showing up you are loosing money and that space could have been filled with a loyal customer.

Hope this helps :)

Latest posts

Back