Help!!Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beautyrus

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this site and think its great that there are so many of you that give great advice to help each other.I'm looking to start doing shellac and could do with some help.

Do i need to do training on it to use it?I'm qualified and use LCN.
Also whats the kind of set up cost i'd be looking at?I was wondering if i could use my own nail lamp for it?I've got a daylight unit that takes 4 9w bulbs???
Lastly whats the procedure to apply it?

Any advice would be apprecited

Thanks

As long as you have a recognised manicure qualification you can purchase shellac.
You will need to contact sweet squared as they are the uk distributors for it 08452106060 or www.sweetsquared.co.uk
They will inform you of start up costs as we dont post that sort of information on here as clients can see.
With regards to the lamp, no you wont be able to use yours, you will need to purchase the new CND UV lamp which has been specifically designed to cure shellac, or the old Brisa lamp.
HTH
Jen xxx

To answer your questions:

You probably don't need training to use it because there are tutorials on this site - check the tutorials tab at the top of the page.

We don't publish trade prices on this site because they would be viewable by the public, but you could contact either Sweetsquared or Ellisons and they will tell you exactly what you need and how much it will cost.

You need one of the two lamps suitable for curing Shellac - either the CND Shellac lamp or the CND Brisa lamp. Other lamps may look like they cure the product but it can't be guaranteed.

I would recommend a search on this site because that will show you everything that has been written about Shellac. You could also join the Shellac lovers group using the groups tab at the top of the page.

Thanks for your advice.Will get on to sweetsquared in the morning.Sorry to ask about costs did not realise!thats my first lesson learnt on this site.Its gonna take me a while to find my way around i think.Could end up addicted to it,there so much good advice on here and so much to learn from others.
Thanks again

Hi there, I've heard from other users that you really do not need to purchase a lamp from CND & can use your own. Plus it's worth noting that this site is owned by sweet squared who in turn are owned by CND so it's no surprise that they say you must purchase one of theirs £££££££££,

This site is for all technicians in the hair and beauty industry, all of whom will tell the truth. The truth is that you need an appropriate lamp for the product you are using. Using a lamp that isn't recommended, may look like it does a decent job but may not given the results that a paying customer deserves.

Shellac needs one of two lamps - the Shellac lamp or the Brisa lamp.

Hi there, I've heard from other users that you really do not need to purchase a lamp from CND & can use your own. Plus it's worth noting that this site is owned by sweet squared who in turn are owned by CND so it's no surprise that they say you must purchase one of theirs £££££££££,
People have tried using other lamps with the Shellac system and started having problems. They have all come on to complain that they were having problems with longevity, peeling, not curing and it all boiled down to them not using the recomended lamps

The fact that this site was set up by Samuel Sweet is neither here nor there. That is an extremely biased and incorrect comment to make. This forum is open to any beauty professionals not just nail industry so how you can say that this is a CND site when hairdressers, waxers, and beauticians use it is beyond me.

Do a search on here for the uv lamp article that Doug Schoon did you will find it explains why you should use the correct lamp for the system.

Last edited:
I do agree that maybe you do need to purchase either one of these lamps to guarantee perfect results for Shellac-I personally dont offer this treatment as yet so couldnt say for sure. BUT, it is also recommended to use an infra-red light to properly adhere Minx, when in actual fact a normal 40w bulb will do the job perfectly without any problems at all.
I have read the article about uv, wattage and curing so I understand the importance, but many companies say we MUST use a certain product for best results-this doesnt mean another product couldnt do the job just as well.

I have read the article about uv, wattage and curing so I understand the importance, but many companies say we MUST use a certain product for best results-this doesnt mean another product couldnt do the job just as well.

Well it has been proven time and time again on here with all the shellac problems that people have been posting wen it turns out that hadn't been using either the new cnd lamp or the old brisa lamp.
Jen xx

I have been using Shellac now for a few months and use my Bio Sculpture lamp with no issues at all. I guess I will just continue to see how it goes, but if I have to purchase another lamp then I will simply not use the CND products.

Just a few facts, so nobody is confused by the above 'information'!

Nail Geek as it was previously called (now SalonGeek.com) was set up by Samuel Sweet LONG BEFORE Sweet Squared was 'born'.
This professional community has NOTHING to do with SweetSquared as a company and the running costs are paid for solely by Samuel, with a bit of help from the Premium Geek and Event subscriptions.

Sweet Squared are not 'owned' by CND, they are the authorised distributors for the products in the UK and they had to bid for that privilege, they weren't handed it on a plate.

re the lamp 'issue'... How can you possibly provide your clients with a Shellac service when you're not using the system AS A WHOLE?

Read the following link, you will find it enlightening :wink2:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/109719-every-user-uv-gels-should-read.html

thanks for all your advice i'm going to look into setting up in Shellac.No doubt i'll be back soon for more advice.I will defiantly look into the light unit situation.
Thanks again

I have been using Shellac now for a few months and use my Bio Sculpture lamp with no issues at all. I guess I will just continue to see how it goes, but if I have to purchase another lamp then I will simply not use the CND products.

Respectfully as lamps are to do with curing the product - you really don't know what issues are happening. If I were one of your customers and got an allergic reaction, I would seriously wonder why it was that you were not using the professional system recommend by the manufactures of that said system.

CND don't spend 5 years creating something unique, have lamps manufactured in a specific way, for no reason. Trust me, if we didn't have to sell lamps - we wouldn't... it's not what we do. But if I were a customer who got any type of problem because you 'the professional' was doing what you wanted and not what is professionally recommend by the manufacturer of your chosen product, I would sue - and trust me - that is happening.

It's very simple to follow manufactures instructions and with the success of Shellac - you have made the cost of a one hundred pound lamp back, in 3/4 treatments! Why bother taking a chance???:idea:

It's very simple to follow manufactures instructions and with the success of Shellac - you have made the cost of a one hundred pound lamp back, in 3/4 treatments! Why bother taking a chance???:idea:

This is so true!! I HONESTLY made the money for the original shellac kit I started with in just 2 weeks of using the products.

If your going to spend the money to use decent products why only do it by half, if your going to do a job, do it properly why do it at all?

Why wouldn't you buy the proper lamp to go with the shellac?
It's an excellent lamp, looks professional and to be honest it's no more expensive than any other lamps!

Why wouldn't you buy the proper lamp to go with the shellac?
It's an excellent lamp, looks professional and to be honest it's no more expensive than any other lamps!

I agree! I owned 4 different lamps before I bought the new CND UV Lamp..and it is BY FAR (SOOOO FAR), my favorite. It has features that no other lamp has and it actually cost 50% less than two of my other lamps. Get it..it's worth it. If I used products other than CND, I'd be tempted to use the wrong lamp because I don't want to use any other!!

Here we go again!

If someone doesn't want to invest in to their business, doesn't want to learn and pass on the science behind it, doesn't want to support the only company that stands behind you all the way, why be a member of professional forum? Why spread clearly wrong information and confuse other newbie geeks who wants to learn!

If you don't know or simply don't want to know - keep it to yourselves!

I started on here while I used nsi, lcn, ezflow and other brands and no one told me off!

And if majority of us are using CND it only means that it is the best out there!

Rant over;)

Nail designer with a twist;)

In my opinion EVERYONE is entitled to thier own opinion on here that's one of the joys of a forum.

I normally just read forums then move on rather than commenting but Its starting to get to me some of the comments that are becoming more like people having ago at each other that professionals helping other professionals.

I've seen mixed results on here of people using non CND lamps and getting great results and also people using CND lamps and also getting great results.

Give people your advice/opinion without forcing it on them! Help them come to thier own conclusions.

In my opinion EVERYONE is entitled to thier own opinion on here that's one of the joys of a forum.

I normally just read forums then move on rather than commenting but Its starting to get to me some of the comments that are becoming more like people having ago at each other that professionals helping other professionals.

I've seen mixed results on here of people using non CND lamps and getting great results and also people using CND lamps and also getting great results.

Give people your advice/opinion without forcing it on them! Help them come to thier own conclusions.

Opinions are great when things are going right but a lot of the time people are posting question like "Help im having problems with shellac" and it turns out they are using the wrong lamp, so its ok to let people have opinions on the wrong lamp but when they dont want to listen to " Proven FACTS" then it becomes a problem.
Why invest in something if you are not going to use it as recomended, then moan when you have issues.
Start off correctly and you wont have issues!
Jen xx

Respectfully as lamps are to do with curing the product - you really don't know what issues are happening. If I were one of your customers and got an allergic reaction, I would seriously wonder why it was that you were not using the professional system recommend by the manufactures of that said system.

CND don't spend 5 years creating something unique, have lamps manufactured in a specific way, for no reason. Trust me, if we didn't have to sell lamps - we wouldn't... it's not what we do. But if I were a customer who got any type of problem because you 'the professional' was doing what you wanted and not what is professionally recommend by the manufacturer of your chosen product, I would sue - and trust me - that is happening.

I think its lucky that with using a different lamp that there havent been any problems, I would not know what to do if one of my clients had paid for a shellac service and then they had problems with it because i wasnt using the full correct system that was designed specifically for it!! :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back