Help with doing own roots please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondie

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here & I am a beauty therapist with a hair question !
I normally get my very dark blonde hair( some would just call it brown !) which has a bit of red in it done at a salon with wella special blonde, my roots grow through real quick and as such would like to be able to buy the products and do it myself, so If I remember rightly it was 12/0 they use but what developer would it be for high lift 20% or 30% bearing in mind my hair can be stubborn and usually has to be left on for at least 45 mins otherwise my roots are orange.
Thank you in advance.

I would say that if you're not a hair geek, then best leave it to a professional!! :D

Why's that ?

I think because this is a site for professionals and they will not give advice for DIY treatments. Skin, hair or nails.

Oh really, soz

Hi blondie, wecome to salon geek :)
I agree not to mess with it yourself and leave it to a professional :)

Last edited:
Thanks Minky.

As a beauty therapist there are plenty of DIY treatments that I would be happy to pass on to people and know lots of others who would too. It's a pity isn't it that people can't just answer the question without getting all high and mighty from behind their computer screens, I'll jib this forum.

Last edited:
As a beauty therapist there are plenty of DIY treatments that I would be happy to pass on to people and know lots of others who would too. It's a pity isn't it that people can't just answer the question without getting all high and mighty from behind their computer screens, I'll jib this forum.

If you passed on information on how to do treatments, you wouldn't have a job as there would be no need for you.

Also, if we pass on information to untrained individuals how to use professional products, we could be put in a position to be sued.

We trained hard, and work hard. No-one has been rude to you. It states clearly in the rules what this site is intended for.

One of my fave things about being qualified in beauty and not hair is you could find a hairdresser and do a trade. I've got a short bleach blonde crop that needs maintenance every 5 weeks! I do swapsies for the hairdresser in whatever treatment they want! :D

Hey im a hairdresser , and i wouldnt do my own hair with special blonde - reasons are - you can get root glow , its quite a strong product so id hate to overlap by mistake and id hate to have a dark patch on my crown! There are plenty of things that we can advise you to do to your own hair , but id leave this or find a qualified/trainee friend to do it for yoU.
welcombe to salon geek ,im sure youll find the forums useful.

If you passed on information on how to do treatments, you wouldn't have a job as there would be no need for you.

Don't talk silly, oh and you'd better start worrying, there are a lot of hair dyes for sale in the shops incase you didn't know...HA!

No, nobody was rude ( don't remember saying that) just snotty. Just had to come back one more time to see how easy it is to get people right back on those high horses HA HA HA
Thank you above that is helpful and said in a nice way, I really am signing off now cos I can't put up with the people with self inflated egos, you are HAIRDRESSERS nothing more.

Last edited:
Can i just say that the dyes in shops are made by exactly the same companys as pro dyes , the products are quite similar . Sallys doent provide better products as such , they are just broken down more so they can be personalised - so what people go to hairdressers for is good advice and application, which can only be given if we can see your hair .
Im sure everyone will agree , that we probably see more correction jobs coming from people that have been to sallys than boots because alot of people think the products are better, If its the wrong product its not better!when its actually the science thats wrong , got black hair put boots blonde on it equals orange hair , go to sallys , spend a fortune on pro blonde equals orange hair.
The best thing about being a pro and using pro products is that you dont have to nuke the hair and you can be much more condition/colour specific- but thats it, you cant change the science or the knowledge
Sorry Blondie , its not a rant at you, its just weve had a lot of ' Sallys recommended' on here lately

Hey Blondie :eek: you can still share all your professional knowledge with a lot of other professional Beauty Therapists on here.... who I must say are very helpful rich in professional knowledge and are a kind bunch of Guys and Gals who will happily share loads of tips and hints with fellow Professionals , but ... I wouldn't ask or expect them to share their hard earned in depth training techniques and knowledge with me just so I could do it myself... especially if I wasn't trained up to do it !...

whats the harm in giving your hairdresser the job of doing your hair ?... after all it is their bit of bread and butter which they trained hard for,
just like your professional job... which is what you trained hard for too which is also your bit of bread and butter...

When I first came on here I didn't realize it was a professional forum and I happily gave out Professional advice to a lovely person who was doing a home colour job,
I thought she was a hairdresser .... but she wasn't ! Doh
it was a simple enough mistake for a newbie .... and I too was told to be mindful of the forum rules ,
I felt bad too but .... it's no big deal
I apologized for breaking the rules and moved on .... I did notice you apologized earlier and that's a good thing , well done :)
so why not just move on follow the forum rules and enjoy this great site ?
stop being a pair of old grumpy knickers and laugh with us instead :lol: you muppet :hug: :) x minky

Don't talk silly, oh and you'd better start worrying, there are a lot of hair dyes for sale in the shops incase you didn't know...HA!

No, nobody was rude ( don't remember saying that) just snotty. Just had to come back one more time to see how easy it is to get people right back on those high horses HA HA HA
Thank you above that is helpful and said in a nice way, I really am signing off now cos I can't put up with the people with self inflated egos, you are HAIRDRESSERS nothing more.

Do you normally use such charm to get your own way?

A lot of us mere "hairdressers" go out of our way to help and advise the non-hair geeks on a regular basis. Quite frankly, this is not the way to win friends.

Oh dear, thanks for pointing that out. I am very worried.

This thread has made me start thinking about home dyes and head and shoulders again, im gonna barf. Funny that the one person in this thread that is wound up is the one thats trying to wind everyone else up? but oh well, no point in replying cos she said she was never coming back.

we are all here to help one another in a constructive way, i dont wanna advise someont to do their hair and it burns their sclap or snaps their hair off!

This thread has made me start thinking about home dyes and head and shoulders again, im gonna barf. Funny that the one person in this thread that is wound up is the one thats trying to wind everyone else up? but oh well, no point in replying cos she said she was never coming back.

we are all here to help one another in a constructive way, i dont wanna advise someont to do their hair and it burns their sclap or snaps their hair off!

Hey kimi she will probably come back and she will be reading these posts with avid awe in offline mode , :) ;)
she will probably re join here again under a different name but only when she sees its such a good site and it has actually clicked in her mind
about the forum rules ,

but..... I am thinking to myself perhaps she wasn't a professional after all ? and may have been sent by another disgruntled non pro who we couldn't share DIY advice to , Hmmm :zzz: how tiresome
but if she is a professional she should act like one and come back and join us friendly lot
:Love:

Perhaps she will come on after she has climbed to the top of her pedestal ?:wink2:

Anyway As Kimi said she said she wasn't coming back
so I guess it may be time to close this thread ?

Well said Minky. :)

pesianista u took the words right out ma mouth!! marry me lolllzzz:eek::lol::lol: go somewhere else blondie

Latest posts

Back