Heroin Addict

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt want to read and run but I just wanted to say, look at the guy from Glee who died from a heroin overdose.
I wouldnt of thought In a million years he would be a substance abuser.
The point is, just because they are trappes in the disease of addiction it doesnt mean they are theives etc..

To the op you should treat this client like any other, use the same high hygiene standards as you would with any other client

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was going to say something similar to you. But you've said it all :)

Glee star Cory Monteith faced criminal charges for stealing from his family.

Yes he had a successful acting career but didn't maintain a good personal life while using drugs.

Don't feel guilty for turning away clients if their behaviour is unacceptable x

I dont see the issue.

Did he use threatening behaviour?
Did he try and hurt you?
Did he try and steal of you?

Regardless of addiction this man has come for a treatment. He hasnt asked to be horribly judged on a public forum.

Unless the full circumstances are known about this client then he shouldn't be judged. I would hardly think he is looking to steal and harm the OP if he is coming in and paying for a treatment.

Not all drug users are bad people, some have had very hard lives and yes they have made that choice to become an addict but they should not be talked about in this way.

Maybe he is in recovery and is trying to feel better. Not all addicts are the same, not all addicts commit crime and are out to cause damage. Not all addicts are benefit thieving. He has had a treatment, paid and left and dont see what their is to discuss. If you don't feel comfortable treating him then dont take his money.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

My godmother was a High court judge and a high functioning alcoholic.... She drank near Gin most of the day and nobody would of known she was under the influence... That is a true alcoholic!
It seems to me this thread is based on judgemental people's first impressions... Dangerous territory
It is not being judgmental, regardless of how high functioning or her high standing with her choice of career, I would refuse to treat your Godmother for the majority of treatments I offer "if" she disclosed her addiction for her own well being. I have initiated cosmetic tattooing treatment on more than one occasion and had to stop and rebook client due to excessive bleeding, on the rare occasions where the client has disclosed a medical condition or dependancy that contraindicates treatment and that they didnt disclose within consultation for whatever reason then I have reserved the right to refuse further treatment or asked them for a medical referral, this is not being judgemental but rather being a responsible provider of treatment and ensuring my client safety aswell as my own. Alcohol thins the blood, causes bruising and an alcoholic would not heal well, basically treatment would be compromised. As I said in a previous post this is not based upon her choice of dependency nor my judgement, rather it is based upon the effect that certain drugs (including prescribed) and conditions have upon the system it is also based upon the treatments that I offer.

Microdermabrasion, which I believe is the treatment sought by the gentleman in the original post, involves an abrasion of the epidermal layers of the skin to encourage healthy cell renewal so I would class this as minimally invasive and therefore would advise against treatment for anyone who's system may be impaired. I also would have deep concerns about treating anyone who appears to be under the influence anyway.

So surprised this guy is spending money on a facial!
My husband is a ex drug addict. He always worked apart from when he went to rehab for a year to get clean. He never stole from anyone.
However I wouldn't treat someone on heroin. Apart from the fact I work from home and wouldn't be comfortable with him in my house they just totally freak me out!
I can't help it. They are everywhere in my town and it scares me. People are different on heroin. That's all they care about. The high power jobs etc will all come to a end at some point. You just can't be on heroin and lead a normal life. Simples!
Also as for HIV, Hep etc Hep c is rife here too. I doubt you would catch it from doing a facial but if you have a cut etc and come in contact with someone's blood who has Hep c you can get it. hep c can live out of the body for 7 days.
Anyway OP if You're not comfortable don't do it!

[QUOTE=Nails

I think this clearly highlights some serious issues with regards to certain treatments and contraindications. Whilst some posters have raised issues that may be considered contentious ie. stealing and the relevance to the actual concerns of the original poster might be questioned. My fundamental concerns are as follows;
The treatment requested is minimally invasive and the gentleman in question has disclosed a condition that may result in a negative effect on both himself and therefore the provider, it also may render insurance invalid. The client has also already displayed erratic behaviour.
It is important always to remain professional and that includes refusing a treatment should it be deemed necessary, my personal refusal would be based upon the chosen treatment. Please let's all stop bashing each other about unnecessarily and raising issues that are not really relevant.

I am not sure where you all get your information from but the majority of people that are addicts are well presented, working people who hold down jobs and care for families etc.

My husband is a prison officer who deals with this type of stereotyping all the time and yes while there are some hardened drug addicts and alcoholics who steal etc most have ended up addicts through abuse suffered at the hands of someone in their life or having had a terrible trauma and ended up on prescription drugs prescribed by a medial professional which then led to harder substances.

I would be happy to treat anyone as long as they were able to function properly mentally as well as physically and like all medical professionals take extra care when dealing with them.

Do not judge a person until you know all the circumstances surrounding them. (Book by its cover and all that.)

I agree with the posts advising caution if someone is "out of it" whether it's because of prescribed drugs, alcohol, other drugs etc.

However.

Anyone can, for example, be HIV positive. Your friend, your local shop assistant, or your child's class-mate.

It need not be a doomsday scenario. I was talking to the consultant in charge of the sexual health clinic at a large hospital and he said - contrary to my previous thoughts - that his job was so uplifting, as every week he told people that they could go on to have families etc.

We study and apply H/S rules to protect all against cross- contamination, against communicable diseases.

As to thieving, it's unlikely that he would have been so honest with you if he had intent to steal.

Heroin can ruin and take lives. Not all users, though.

I am not sure where you all get your information from but the majority of people that are addicts are well presented, working people who hold down jobs and care for families etc.

My husband is a prison officer who deals with this type of stereotyping all the time and yes while there are some hardened drug addicts and alcoholics who steal etc most have ended up addicts through abuse suffered at the hands of someone in their life or having had a terrible trauma and ended up on prescription drugs prescribed by a medial professional which then led to harder substances.

I would be happy to treat anyone as long as they were able to function properly mentally as well as physically and like all medical professionals take extra care when dealing with them.

Do not judge a person until you know all the circumstances surrounding them. (Book by its cover and all that.)
it is not a question of being judgmental regarding someone's life choices or their medical condition, it is a question of offering a safe, legal insured and ethical treatment. Contact your insurance provider and check if you would be covered to treat individual cases for a start if in doubt. For example I personally treat clients with certain medical conditions if I am confident to do so and am covered by both qualifications and insurance, some conditions require a letter of referral for me to do so. However treating anybody under the influence of alcohol or drugs even if suspected is a big no.

putting yourself at risk of being sued or having someone collapse is just not worth it.
If someone was behaving erratically but had not disclosed any condition, I would also refuse for treatment.

Why treat anyone that you consider 'out of it'? Whether its illness, medication, alcohol or otherwise?

I wouldn't feel comfortable health and safety wise for any of the above? how do they get benefits of the treatment? are you insured? how do you maintain your own personal standards?

The subject of drugs is another issue, and has been discussed a lot in this post!

But ultimately I don't understand why you would treat someone that you say was 'out of it'??

As to thieving, it's unlikely that he would have been so honest with you if he had intent to steal.

Heroin can ruin and take lives. Not all users, though.

Would you leave your purse or other valuables in a room with a client unsupervised?

Heroin does ruin lives, its a horrible drug.

I would advise him that having microdermabrasion and still taking heroin will be a waste of time, people need to change their lifestyles in order for their skin to change! X

Why treat anyone that you consider 'out of it'? Whether its illness, medication, alcohol or otherwise?

I wouldn't feel comfortable health and safety wise for any of the above? how do they get benefits of the treatment? are you insured? how do you maintain your own personal standards?

The subject of drugs is another issue, and has been discussed a lot in this post!

But ultimately I don't understand why you would treat someone that you say was 'out of it'??

This is a good point, ask ur boss to ring her insurance and see if u are insured x

I would advise him that having microdermabrasion and still taking heroin will be a waste of time, people need to change their lifestyles in order for their skin to change! X

<3 absolutely !

Do not judge a person until you know all the circumstances surrounding them. (Book by its cover and all that.)[/QUOTE]

As my post said as long as they were of sound mind and not (out of it) as people have stated I would yes treat the person as long as my insurance was ok with it, that is a no brainier!

There are many people who have treatments and do not disclose minor details to beauty professionals on a day to day basis, would you not treat them?

Also some medical conditions do have similar symptoms like being out of it similar to drink and drug users may be.

Would you leave your purse or other valuables in a room with a client unsupervised?

Heroin does ruin lives, its a horrible drug.

It's unwise to leave your bag with anyone unsupervised.
Quite honestly, I have to say I would, and do, but I agree it's not wise.

We both agree that heroin can ruin lives.

[/QUOTE]
Would you leave your purse or other valuables in a room with a client unsupervised, an existing client or new client?????

It's unwise to leave your bag with anyone unsupervised.
Quite honestly, I have to say I would, and do, but I agree it's not wise.

We both agree that heroin can ruin lives.

Why is it not wise??? And if you know its not wise, why do you do it? Is it by choice or you forget??

Now now youre stereotyping. Youre assuming that all heroin addicts have bad skin!!!!!

Why is it not wise??? And if you know its not wise, why do you do it? Is it by choice or you forget??

It's not wise as I could have something stolen, or I could put the client in a difficult position.

I'm going to be honest here. I would say that I do it because I have a naive trust in people.

Maybe we're getting a little off-track from the thread, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back