Home and Mobile geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairchild

Reaction score
Do you take credit or debit card payments? Nearly ready to open the doors to my room at home and not sure how practical it is to just take cash or cheques? What do you do?

Hi im mobile, I only take cash or cheque hun, it may be different at home as its more like someone going to a salon, but ive never had anyone ask to pay by card.xx

Cash and cheques but if I had a home salon I would get a card machine as it would help with retailing as you are more likely to put an impulse buy on a card. :hug:

I am constantly asked if i take cards but i only take cash or cheque i may take on a card machine soon and ive been opened 2 yrs ... you will find unless you stock lots of products your clients will b happy to order them and pay on when they come other wise you end up with alot of dead stock xxx

15 years on I have only ever taken cash or cheque and have never had a problem with it. You need to consider the costs concerned and if you would cover them by those who would not be able to pay using cash or cheque, if you understand what I mean! :)

Thanks all. I feel much better now.:) Had a bit of a panic that I was going to make things difficult for my clients if I did not take any cards - cheques just seem to be going out of fashion but hopefully they will hang around for a bit longer.

As long as they know how they can pay in advance there shouldn't be a problem. :hug:

Cash and cheque only for me as well and I'm mobile. I tell all new clients in advance and it's never been a problem.

Hth's

I have a card machine (I work from home) and I'd be lost without it. It's so rare to find a business these days that doesn't have one and I find people just don't use cash often anymore. Also, like Weezie said they are great for impulse buyers!

I have a card machine (I work from home) and I'd be lost without it. It's so rare to find a business these days that doesn't have one and I find people just don't use cash often anymore. Also, like Weezie said they are great for impulse buyers!

Ditto!

I got my card machine this year and it paid for itself within a few months but then I do retail a lot. I got a mobile machine which I can take with me when doing bridal make up or events. It costs a little more but is well worth it.

not too sure how, but i know you can make payments using your mobile phone. i went to an ann summers party and the rep used her mobile to process the car payments there and then rather than us having to write our details down and have the payment taken out at a later date. could you look into that maybee??

i used to work for ann summers they had a secure system ud text everything in a certain order from the card and it would all be processed in 5 minutes xx there is also an application on iphone dont know how good it is though xx

I have a card machine and its been brilliant especially when selling my aftercare packages and products. People buy on impulse aswell which is good.

I was recently looking into PayPal's Virtual Terminal system, where you take the clients' card details and do the transaction on-line (good for deposits I was thinking.

It costs £20 a month plus a % per transaction ... but cheap as it sounds it's still a lot for me although I'm very tempted!

I have been home based for 8+ years and have only ever taken cash or cheque without any complaints from clients. I have thought about a credit/debit card machine but the cost stops me. I'm sure that clients probably would make more impulse buys with a card machine though.

It really is an interesting one - I suppose I am just going to have to see how business goes and then make a decision as to whether it is holding me back and if I need to invest in a widget/gadget! If cheques get phased out sooner than we think - it may force my hand.

Latest posts

Back