Home salons - Loo?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hello, if you have a home salon what do you do about clients using the loo? I'm planning a log cabin in the garden for my home salon and the cost of installing a loo with plumbing is HUGE!!!

i thought you said 'homo salon'!! :\

i dunno if you have to provide toilets for clients in reguards to laws, but if you don't then couldn't you just say 'you can't due to your insurance not allowing you?' one thing i thought of when i was thinking about a home salon was so that people couldn't mess around upstairs/walk into bedrooms (because i've read alot of posts on here saying people had had a nosey in their house (!!)) was to say to any clients who asked for the toilet 'because of my insurance i have to walk you up to the bathroom and wait for you, though i will wait on the stairs to give you some privacy' and make it into a bit of a joke about how crazy health and safty and insurers are these days!

yes. i spend my time thinking about people using the toilet. i admit it! :p x

I have a home salon with an ensuite shower/toilet room and to be perfectly honest, my clients never use it. I think I have had 2 clients use the loo... but the one drinks lots of tea and the other had several treatments done and was with me for a few hours.

I'm not saying a loo is not necessary, but perhaps you could offer your clients the use of your downstairs loo (assuming you have one) just before or after the treatment in your cabin. For a home salon, I would find this acceptable. It is difficult when you have children, as they can be partial to leaving 'suprises' in the loo :lol: IYKWIM (if you know what I mean :wink2:). So as long as you inspect it regularly, I can't see it being a problem.

Sorry, have to put a spanner in the works, but I too am at home with en suite and I would say over 50% of my clients use it. Could be an age thing most of my clients are 40 plus. I really think you need something, what about bikini waxing the client may wish to make herself comfortable before hand. Contour wraps are always causing my clients to become a bit desperate.... Ask your local authority as to their requirements for business use. Hope this helps,

I'm going to have to get a quote as I couldn't have anyone coming in the house, the cabin will be at the end of the garden with a separate entrance to keep family and clients apart. Plus, I want to do body treatments, scrubs etc which will need a shower. I guess it's camping next year for hols!!

Sorry, have to put a spanner in the works, but I too am at home with en suite and I would say over 50% of my clients use it. Could be an age thing most of my clients are 40 plus. I really think you need something, what about bikini waxing the client may wish to make herself comfortable before hand. Contour wraps are always causing my clients to become a bit desperate.... Ask your local authority as to their requirements for business use. Hope this helps,

I agree I can never work out why so many clients need the loo as soon as they get here, some of them only live down the road!

Have you looked into the other toilets, I can't remember the make of them I think they are called Saniflo, I know these are for unusual places where plumbing is an issue. :green:

You do need a loo for clients to use. My treatment room is purpose built so has its own toilet. I would hate the thought of clients coming into my house to use my bathroom and as well as having 5 kids, 2 of them are boys and they do make a bit of a mess in the main bathroom.

I think you do need a toilet to go with a treatment room. If you've got the money to put one in, excellent, but check the exact details of what your are installing. I'm sorry, I have to be graphic here. One of my friends had a toilet installed in an ensuite bathroom, that just couldn't cope with solid matter - not a pleasant anecdote...

Check with your local authority too as when I had my cabin built, (although it was 6 yrs ago) I wasnt allowed to install a toilet or hot running water. They said i could, but I would have to pay council tax on it, as it would be classed as a "dwelling". The council tax was the same amount as my home council tax!!!!! , They also said I would have to get planning permission (rather than just building regs) as it was a domestic building. Its such a minefield, with all the counciks having differant rules so best check x

I have a salon room at home, seperate from my house, but I live in a bungalow and have a toilet in the porch. When Im working I leave the front door unlocked so they can access the toilet but bolt the door from porch into house so they cant snoop!
Sounds complicated I know, but I find clients can be a little nosey at times!!

I would say its worth the cost as if a client does ask to use your loo and the only one is in your house would you feel comfortable just saying no?
Hth

I work from home, we have a bungalow but it's been built upstair's too. My beauty room is downstair's just off the main hall and the toilet is oppostie my beauty room. Client's don't use the toilet much. All the other doors are closed, I only even have the bathroom and beauty room doors open. I have never had anyone nosey about.

If you do have to take a client to the toilet in your house, say you'll show them the way and they go in another room, when the client comes out come out the room a couple of seconds later. No time for nosey client's. If they know the way to the toliet just say you got to pop in the house anyway, something you needed to do.

I don't do men and say it's because my insurance and people look at me gone out, "well, you wouldn't think you would have to pay extra for men."I think saying that your you don't have a toilet for insuarnce reason's they won't believe you. They may see you as a scrooge lol.

Good luck

Kerry

Hi there. I was advised that all premises used for Beauty Therapy must comply with Environmental Health Legislation and customers must have access to toilet facilities as well as hand washing facilities for use by client and therapist. I decided to go mobile because of this as its seemed like a massive renovation to achieve! If your clients could use the toilet in your house I think that would be ok, but you need to check with EH for all the specifics as I believe that they inspect all new premises.

Don't know if it would work on a long-term basis or be acceptable to the authorities, but would a caravan type toilet be acceptable? I think they're called Portapotty or something.
I know it wouldn't be an enviable job emptying it :eek:, but it would be a lot cheaper.

Latest posts

Back