Hormone hell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
This is aimed at all the older lady geeks :) I have had 20 years of migraines and have took and tried every thing under the sun to help me with them. They are hormonal migraines which start each month with my period, As most of you know I am 40 now and my migraines each month are getting worse last night I couldn't sleep because the pain was so bad, I was also sweating and felt like I had a hot water bottle in my head. I have asked my gp before about menopause but he said it isnt that, It almost feels like I have a flu bug but without the cold etc
So what I am asking is can you get flushes etc long before your periods stop ?

Apparently there is a simple blood test that they can run to see if you are going through the change. Maybe ask your dr about this. Every person is different, and each has different syptoms at different times. HTH

I'm with Graphxgal and was about to suggest you push your GP for a blood test, hot flushes are classic menopausal symptoms.

My mum started her change at 35 and I'm hoping my hot flushes are the start of mine too (I'm 37)

If your GP isn't particularly helpful can you request an appointment with your practise nurse, or do you have a well woman clinic anywhere near you. They'll be more clued up about the whole situation and probably more helpful with the PMS migraines too. It's obviously having quite a serious affect on your quality of life and for the GP to just dismiss it is unacceptable really.

Hope you get some answers soon

Lell i went to the gp's with flushes etc and he siad i wa pre menopausal an could be for up to ten years efore i start. thansk can i come backa s a boy next time lol

Hi there

Of course you can get hot flushes before the periods stop. My sister is 42 and I'm 45 and we both get them, I've had them on and off for a few years.

Get a blood test done to check out your hormones either by your GP or you can visit Dr Cecilia Tregear at Wimpole St London. Be prepared to pay a fair bit for your consullation with her and blood test. She can prescribe hormone creams etc if she thinks you need them but of course you have to pay because it's private. http://www.wimpoleskincare.com/home.htm

Hope this helps

Deb379

Lellipop said:
This is aimed at all the older lady geeks :) I have had 20 years of migraines and have took and tried every thing under the sun to help me with them. They are hormonal migraines which start each month with my period, As most of you know I am 40 now and my migraines each month are getting worse last night I couldn't sleep because the pain was so bad, I was also sweating and felt like I had a hot water bottle in my head. I have asked my gp before about menopause but he said it isnt that, It almost feels like I have a flu bug but without the cold etc
So what I am asking is can you get flushes etc long before your periods stop ?
Good question - I have similar symtoms even though I'm a lot younger than you:wink2: (ok so I will be 40 in 4 weeks but shhhhhhhh) I get the bad headaches and sweating at night but the worst thing when I get hot at night is the itching, I feel like I have a million creepy crawlys under my skin and can't stop scratching!!

I am going to book in with the gp, I knew you could have hot flushes etc with the change but didnt know how long before your periods actually stopped you could have symptoms for if that makes sense. But if lucia as been told 10 years ouch
I am sat here with a cool gel pack on my forehead and am still sweating like a pig lol

Lell I had these probs too. My doctor couldn't do a blood test as I'm on the pill and so wouldn't give an accurate diagnosis. I also used to get the most mega headaches in my pill free weeks. So my doctor suggested that I take 3 packs of pills in a row. The hot flushes seem to have gone, and the headaches are a lot better, at least Nurofen seems to shift them when nothing used to. The reason she said to take 3 packs in a row was so that I only had to suffer once every 3 months.

Don;t know if this helps at all, but just sharing my experience.

Zuise.e said:
Good question - I have similar symtoms even though I'm a lot younger than you:wink2: (ok so I will be 40 in 4 weeks but shhhhhhhh) I get the bad headaches and sweating at night but the worst thing when I get hot at night is the itching, I feel like I have a million creepy crawlys under my skin and can't stop scratching!!

I had the itching too!!!! I now take an antihystamine tablet every day and it's controlled that too.

Sassy Hassy said:
Lell I had these probs too. My doctor couldn't do a blood test as I'm on the pill and so wouldn't give an accurate diagnosis. I also used to get the most mega headaches in my pill free weeks. So my doctor suggested that I take 3 packs of pills in a row. The hot flushes seem to have gone, and the headaches are a lot better, at least Nurofen seems to shift them when nothing used to. The reason she said to take 3 packs in a row was so that I only had to suffer once every 3 months.

Don;t know if this helps at all, but just sharing my experience.

Thanks Sass the problem is I cant take the pill due to the migraines, So have a mirena coil fitted.

Actually if you have your banner ads switched on there seem to be some Google links at the top of this thread, which I haven't looked at but may just offer some help!

My mom started perimenopause at 40yrs old... and it lastes for 10 years!!! I had a full hysterectomy 9 months ago (I'm 33) and am in full menopause... the hot flashes are the worst!!!!!

I too have the migrain each month in PMT week (but when on the pill it was in the free week - this was sorted by gp changing to one that didnt give migrain and this was before my kids)
but have been to see gp for breast lump and that too is caused each month nothing nasty thank god. but while there GP told me that if you start periods young (i was 13yrs) you finish late - i'm 42 and no hot flushes yet.. my migrains still there and last 48 hours and i cant sleep and nothing in the chemist cures them only time. My mum started periods at 19 and menopause at 44 and it lasted 10 years. Stomach cramps, heavy months -flooding etc I remember her being like death warmed up one a month.
I look up a lot of medical stuff on www.Patient.co.uk maybe there is some info on there? HTH

Latest posts

Back