Hot, cold or warm water to wash your face?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADiva1

Reaction score
Hello to you all...!

I've just had a thought ..... for many years I've washed my face with very warm water... Should I be doing this?

Apparently its not good to wash with cold water nor hot water!

Which do you use to wash your face - thats if you dont use cleansing wipes?!

Now I think I'm doing it wrong too.

I wash in very warm water and splash with cold to close the pores, don't even know who told me to do or even if it's the right way but I've always done it this way.

I do the usual cleanse, tone and moisturise thing too!!

Teri x:hug:

Now I think I'm doing it wrong too.

I wash in very warm water and splash with cold to close the pores, don't even know who told me to do or even if it's the right way but I've always done it this way.

I do the usual cleanse, tone and moisturise thing too!!

Teri x:hug:

Thanks Teri, sounds as if you are doing the right thing to me. At least you are closing your pores, but I dont!:eek:

I only use water on my face when I exfoliate.With this I use warm water,exfoliate,rinse off with warm water,then I use a toner to restore the PH balance and close pores,then whatever creams,serums I use.

iI would never wash my face with very hot water but i like it warm to quite warm.
People with rosaeca or broken capillaries should avoid hot water though as this would only excaserbate the situation.
Actually i have a quuestion to pose on a new thread:!:

I use a cleanser every day so dont wash my face at all!

The only time water goes on my skin is to remove cleanser or when I am in the shower - cant be avoided then I suppose.

you should use "tepid" water that is within a few degrees of body temperature.

Extremes of temperature can actually cause broken capillaries and rosacea if im correct.

The extremes can cause your capillaries to dilate and constrict which in turn can damage them.

I use a cleanser every day so dont wash my face at all!

The only time water goes on my skin is to remove cleanser or when I am in the shower - cant be avoided then I suppose.

Thanks. I am going to try this for a week and see how I get on!

I think I wash my face too often with too much warm water!!!!:eek:

i wash my face with warm water

although if i am very tired i have washed my face with cold water to help wake me up a bit

I use cool water to splash on my face every morning, sort of mix it in my hands from the taps.

Then i use my eye cream & face cream

I'm 44 and 3/4 and have NO WRINKLES!

i use and advise my clients to use tepid water. i personally love the feel of water on my face, so use a cleanser with sorbitol in it, which neautralises the hard water. Hot water can lead to broken capillaries and sensitivity, and cold water is unpleasant (unless trying to wake up!), and would image doesnt enable the pores to open as efficiently? Feel free to correct me geeks- i'd love to be certain! hths

I use cool water to splash on my face every morning, sort of mix it in my hands from the taps.

Then i use my eye cream & face cream

I'm 44 and 3/4 and have NO WRINKLES!

Lucky you!!

How you skin ages is down to a number of external and internal factors.

some of the things that you can sometimes control are;
Diet, lifestyle, smoking, drinking, where you live, free radicals, sun exposure, skincare routine (or lack thereof! lol), stress levels, things like that.

Then there are the things you cant really do much about such as;
Race (we know that black skin tends to be oilier and age alot better and white skin gets mostly drier as we get older),
Genes some people are just lucky and they can neglect their skin and its still fabulous,
medication can sometimes affect your skin, it may dry it out so if your on meds long term this may cause a ong term problem.

I think the key is, If you look after yourself in general you can get away with the bad stuff in moderation!! =] Follow a good skincare routine 99% of the time and your skin will be more forgiving!

It's all genetic, yes we can try to do what we can and we should, but it's all about the genes!

It's all genetic, yes we can try to do what we can and we should, but it's all about the genes!

I LOVE the feeling of a fresh washed skin. I don't think I could wake up in the morning if I didn't wash my face. I always use Nimue cleanser and then wash it off with just nice warm water and a face cloth.
I am blessed with skin that even at my advanced age :eek: is very well toned and unlined (my grandmother's genes). But I still like to take very good care of what I've got to preserve it for as long as possible.

I use a variety of moisturisers as well as a few drops of Solar Oil on slightly damp skin every day morning and night. I am religious about this routine.

I wash my face in warm water, prior to this I have removed my make up with skin wipes, I then leave my skin slightly damp and apply a dab of bio oil to my cheeks, chin and forehead, and then solar oil to the tops of my mouth, nose and temples. It keeps these areas lovely and moisturised!!

I started to have a bit of a problem with my skin due to various contraceptive pills, but now it has cleared up and I love my skin!

p.s To Geeg, I hadnt heard of anybody using solar oil on their face until you just said about it! I thought I mustve been a bit odd to do it, but I thought if it keep cuticles and hands beautiful, then why not the face aswell. I only use a few drops though!

I LOVE the feeling of a fresh washed skin. I don't think I could wake up in the morning if I didn't wash my face

You know, I was thinking of cleansing instead of washing my face. However, like you, I also wake myself up with a good face wash, I would certainly miss that.

We hear about all these do's and don'ts but I guess its all down to personal preference and what really works for us!

The genes are a plus side but you've obviously taken care of yourself as well Gigi!

You know, I was thinking of cleansing instead of washing my face. However, like you, I also wake myself up with a good face wash, I would certainly miss that.

We hear about all these do's and don'ts but I guess its all down to personal preference and what really works for us!

The genes are a plus side but you've obviously taken care of yourself as well Gigi!

Andrea - as you probably know as long as you get a good quality face wash then they can do as good a job as a cleanser - just make sure you get the right one. I have always used cleansers (clarins at the min) so cant help with that one.

p.s To Geeg, I hadnt heard of anybody using solar oil on their face until you just said about it! I thought I mustve been a bit odd to do it, but I thought if it keep cuticles and hands beautiful, then why not the face aswell. I only use a few drops though!

I have used it for 15 years around my eyes at night and all over the face every morning . As you say only a few drops and on fresh washed still slightly damp skin. It is absorbed right into the skin .. never greasy ... I swear by it. Sometimes I mix it into another moisturiser too. It is all completely natural and very high quality fine oils.

Very intersting Geeg..so it doesn't cause clogged pores around the eyes because of heaviness?. I use to use Vit E but it was too heavy.

Very intersting Geeg..so it doesn't cause clogged pores around the eyes because of heaviness?. I use to use Vit E but it was too heavy.

I think JD,as its a "dry"oil it is easily absorbed.
As it contains NO mineral oils it wont clog the pores.
The molecular structure of a mineral oil will only sit on the surface of the skin,howver a fine quality oil like solar is very different.
I also use it on the backs of my hands when damp aswell,before i go to bed.
As i always say you can NEVER over moisturise...LOL:lol:

Latest posts

Back