hour for a full set?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllumeGirl

Reaction score
good arvo geeks..it is in aussie anyway:)
A question for you..especially those that are in busy salons..is it possible to do a decent full set in exactly one hour? Can anyone do this and really say they look good? I was asked by a salon owner if i could...to which i replied i could if it were white tips/clear overlay:eek: (not my fave!). my usual time is 1.5 (without talking much to the client:lol: )
Prep on its own takes me 15-20 mins..and i hate egyptian hats with a passion..i just cant see how it would be possible without sacrificing the quality i am used to producing:confused:
Or should i just pull my finger out,get over myself and speed up??

Uuuummmm?? Im not sure on this one? You'd have to get really experienced Geeks to answer this one, maybe the likes of Mr.&Mrs.Geek and Geeg. Theyve been doing this long enough to know.

Me....it takes me 1hr30mins -1hr45mins, to do a full set, less time if it is a regular client, as I know the nail size, so can pre tailor a bit first. Also it takes longer again then if they want nail art, as they usually cannot make up their mind on what they want. xx

Hi Mel
I think to produce a set of nails in I hour than they are not going to be of a quality that you can really be proud of and say hey I did those nails..I think its better to let the NNs do the under 1 hour nails and let us professionals (who know what we are doing ) do the real quality nails......

I know I couldn't do a set that I would be happy with in an hour, I'd rather take the extra time - tho the day I'm 100% happy with a set will be a good day indeed lol:lol:

When working in the salon part time (30 hrs a wk), I was doing fullsets in 1 hour, this also included french.......had to, the clients were booked in hourly...stressed myself out big time.

Fleur Xmas 1a.jpg
An example of the work I was producing in a 1 hour timeframe

it's amazing what you can do when you are busy and "pumping em out", the more you do, the fasteryou will get.

All the judges were quite dubious when we (with me pushing) introduced the "speed" section in the Australian comps.

Many were flabbergasted at the quality of the work churned out in 45 mins , some white tips (some not), many busy techs are expected (some just do) all appointments in an hour.

It's those slack/cheap clients that go for 4- 5 weeks that waste our time with lifting, chips, cracks etc. I always say "luv, this is an infill, not a resurrection". Just last week I introduced a $15 penalty if they go 3 days over their agreed 2 or 3 week infill period (3 DAYS CAN KNOCK THEM INTO MY NEXT WORKING WEEK)...... every single one agreed (so far).

I'm sick of fixing work and using twice as much product and preparation time, making me stress out to keep myself punctual.

Whats the point of doing your best work on clients, feeling good about yourself and your work, with a very happy client, only to let them trash all your efforts?
I'm not gonna tolerate it any more. They all know about wearing gloves, using oil, not using them as tools, I know my work is good .... HOW DARE THEY TRASH IT !!!!

maybe if you use a tip and dip system it would be possible

My average time for a full set is an hour and 10 min and I'm very happy with the quality of my work. When I'm pushed for time I can just about do a set in an hour (French, not just clear) and I don't think the quality suffers. I probably don't talk as much when I need to do this though!!

My usual time is 1 & 1/2 hours, when I was doing nails full tiime that came down to 1 hour 10, you find the more you do, the less fileing you need to do and that is what takes the most time.
That said I once had a German woman to do who didn't speak a word of English and I did her set if 50 mins:eek:
Just goes to show how much we slow down when we chat, but my clients came to me because they like to chat:lol:
Totaly agree with Carl though, lost count of the times I've run over because a client didn't think to call and book extra time for a rebalance after a gardening spree:irked:

With UV Gel, I've never managed better than 1 1/2hrs to 1 3/4hrs for a full set, sculpted or tipped.

With "tip & dip" as you guys say, I can whip one out in 45 min, including prep.
The prep and tipping is the longest part, after that, the actual dipping takes no time LOL

I'd love to get my sculpting time up, but don't see how without sacrificing on the finished shape.

UV Gel is such fiddly stuff.... I dont see how it could be done faster.

normal time for me to produce a decent set of 1/4-1/2 inch nails is about 1.5-2 hours......but! in saying that ......I can/have a decent set of nails in an hour if they are barely passed the free edge....and don't talk to me.....:)

Is it l&p you guys are doing in an hour?
Anyone on here who can do a new set of Brisa pink and whites in an hour?

My full sets average at about an hour unless they have tiny nails which p*** me off coz i feel i have to spend longer to make sure they are absolutly not going anywhere! I don't let them leave if i'm not happy!

I have a couple of clients who come in for infills and they take me 2 hours!! They are extremely picky though, and think they know everything!

* I'm with you Carl - I get SO tired of these "cheap" clients who try and squeek it out 2-3 weeks (sometimes more):mad: Then come in for a "fill" and they've trashed a couple etc. so takes me longer, more product and then question me when I have to charge more than a 2 week fill (which I charge $22)! I've weeded out about (3) so far that I finally said "honey, to save us Both frustration you'd probably be better off finding someone else" - BIG load off my back :green:

Annenails,I can't agree with you ,
my salon is not NNS and I am professional and I do full sets under 1 hour . My clients are happy and I am happy too. When I worked in high end Spa I used to spend 1,1/2 because I was booked for that time. And when I decided to go on my own I booked all my clients on the hour and pushed myself to work faster. I also attended some classes and worked on my speed ,without compromising quality. Now , it comes naturally to me. My personal best is 43min for full set of sculpted nails. My client was late and I didn't want my next one to wait for me. If you are well organized and know your product very well you can produce great set of nails in 1 hour or less.

I always say "luv, this is an infill, not a resurrection".

:lol: PMSL - I will have to remember this next time someone shuffles in after 5 weeks :irked:

Lana
i am not saying that every set of nails done in under an hour are from NNs:) .but the majority of nails that I see ,around my area are from the local NNS,.I wish I could do a great set of nails that I would be happy with in I hour,but at the moment its not possible,I don,t work in a salon,only from home ,and I don,t have as many clients as you, so my turn over isn,t as big I am lucky I have the luxury of being able to take the extra time...Any way one day I would love to be able to get a set of nails out the door in I hour,until that day comes I guess I just have to keep practicing...:) :)

I do pink n white l&p full set or gel full set in an hour not using white tips and I don't think I've reduced the quality of my work.I do have time saving measures ie I don't buff to high shine I use my finishing gloss but if needed I can do it I use thin tips but I can also sculpt them which I do find quicker than tips.Alot of my clients come out during their lunch breaks so sitting around for more than an hour isn't going to happen.I think its a personal thing not everyone wants to push it to the limit and if you can afford to take abit longer then why not but also don't let it stop you from having a go its all and practice.I was thrown in at the deep end as the salon I used to work at only gave me an hour so unless I wanted to spend all night there I had to work it out and so now its just kinda stuck I start to get quite anxious if I spend more than an hour cause I feel like I'm running late:irked:

When working in the salon part time (30 hrs a wk), I was doing fullsets in 1 hour, this also included french.......had to, the clients were booked in hourly...stressed myself out big time.

View attachment 4256
An example of the work I was producing in a 1 hour timeframe
thanks for the pic! looks good..even time for polish and art! The stressed out bit does really apply to me normally..i find day to day life stressful enough,without having to slash my times so dramatically..it could make me hate nails:Scared:

it's amazing what you can do when you are busy and "pumping em out", the more you do, the fasteryou will get.

All the judges were quite dubious when we (with me pushing) introduced the "speed" section in the Australian comps.

Many were flabbergasted at the quality of the work churned out in 45 mins , some white tips (some not), many busy techs are expected (some just do) all appointments in an hour.

It's those slack/cheap clients that go for 4- 5 weeks that waste our time with lifting, chips, cracks etc. I always say "luv, this is an infill, not a resurrection". Just last week I introduced a $15 penalty if they go 3 days over their agreed 2 or 3 week infill period (3 DAYS CAN KNOCK THEM INTO MY NEXT WORKING WEEK)...... every single one agreed (so far).

I'm sick of fixing work and using twice as much product and preparation time, making me stress out to keep myself punctual.

Whats the point of doing your best work on clients, feeling good about yourself and your work, with a very happy client, only to let them trash all your efforts?
I'm not gonna tolerate it any more. They all know about wearing gloves, using oil, not using them as tools, I know my work is good .... HOW DARE THEY TRASH IT !!!!
very well said. The whole one hour expectation does not take into account those clients who return way past the due date and to boot arrive 10 or so minutes late without a thought to you.
In a perfect world of punctual clients who stick religiously to 2 weekly appointments, yeah i think it would be possible..after a time of freaking myself out settling in..but just thinking about it makes my head spin:lol: not a good sign!

Latest posts

Back