How best to lose a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmonie

Reaction score
I know we normally are begging for clients but i have just taken a new one on that i just know will be more hassle than she is worth!

She booked her appt then was late first time(20 mins) although she did phone to say.

When she arrived she was very uncooperative (the type you have to pull their hand across the manicure table!) Anyhow i finished and she loved the work but when it came to paying she said she didnt have any moeny and would go and get it and come back.
Well there and then i thought it would be the last i saw of her BUT she did return.

Then she rang cause she had a breakage (a little simple lifting) and again tured up with no cash to pay yet again came back 5 mins later.

I just dont think my nerves can take her appointments! How can i move her on nicely?

hon i have to say lets look at this in a different light...

what does she have to do to stay being your customer? is it that she doesnt have the cash ? if that is the case, then you have to tell her at the beginning of the appointment that youll take payment at the start.....if she declines then tell her that you are sorry but you insist.

is it something else? maybe by thinking about it this way, you miht be able to tell her that what she is doing is not acceptable and she may realise that her behaviour is unsettling you. she will then hopefully stop it if she values your work .

sometimes, people behave in unusual ways and its only when we ask them to change do we get the big picture.

We have a lady in our salon.... she unsettles me, wont willingly put her hands across the table keeps fiddling etc, she has coming for weeks and i dread it....... anyway, turns out that she has some personal space issues and is struggling to stay calm. she didnt say anything until this week and we are working together to make her feel more comfortable and an easier treatment for the BOTH of us.

Its only by asking them can we help!

tigi
xxxx

How about giving her a call the day before her appointment "just to confirm your appointment tomorrow at _pm, can you please bring the money for your appointment with you, thank you" x

I think I would be tempted to ask for payment when taking the booking or a good deposit, if she continues to mess you about I think I would be inclined to be unable to fit her in as I was too busy, if you know what I mean!

Trying to be completely objective:

She was late - well, at least she phoned, and she may not be late again. If she is regularly late (assuming you don't manage to lose her) it will cause a problem, and will need to be dealt with, but she honestly may not be.

She was unco-operative - is she used to having her nails done? It may be that she didn't know what she was supposed to do, and when.

She has no money and disappears off to get some - I have a friend who owns a hair salon and this (believe it or not) has become standard practise for her! She takes the customer over to the till, calculates the price, the customer disappears next door to get cash back in the corner shop, comes back and pays. My friend doesn't have a problem with it and says she finds it perfectly acceptable because few people carry large amounts of cash around with them. I'd hate it and wouldn't stand for it, but it may be that your lady is used to a salon that runs this practise.

If you really want to get rid, then get into the habit of asking for a name before booking someone in, and then don't book her in. However, if you're struggling for customers, it may be worth trying to "train" her. She'll either become one of your best behaved, or give up and go elsewhere.

Or the way around the no cash thing is to get a card machiene x

To answer the question you asked my darling. Just say you are fully booked! You don't have to book in anyone that you are not happy with so I would just tell her that you have no appointments and that if you get a cancellation you will ring her. You could tell her the truth but I doubt you would want to do that.

One of the perks, as far as I am concerned, is that I can look at my diary and see the names of lots of lovely clients who I will look forward to seeing. There is nothing worse than dreading a client and if I do get any of these they just don't last very long! My business, my rules!!:green:

I agree with previous reply i DO KNOW THE TYPE and i think you are more concerned that she will drive you mad less than the money side of things?
I have had this and i thought Work with her she isnt used to the salon but she was so picky (i dont mean i wont buyers who expect fantastic work of course i do) but the client i had queried everything and popped in for info on what soap to use with her her new manicure (Fair enough but this was 2 days later!!) + more importantly i do give clients a little booklet a sort recommendations for keeping there manicure lasting longer)

Some clients you have a sixth sense about
Why not say you are fully booked for weeks??????
Good luck

Latest posts

Back