how do you deal with a dissatisfied customer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnieme

Reaction score
i had a client in the salon today that left before i even started, not through anything that i did........but because she wanted me to do a full set of gel extensions within half an hour to an hour. i tried to explain to her that it took between 1&1/2 to 2 hours to do a full set and she got really angry with me because i couldn't do them quicker. have you ever had a client do this and how do you deal with them?

i felt so fustrated aswell as dissapointed as this was my first assessment and it's took me a long time to build up the confidence to do my first client.:cry:

Awww :hug: .........Chin up & keep repeating this lil mantra.

" You can only please some of the people some of the time........And all of the people none of the time "

Stick to what makes you comfortable - Sounds like she'd have been a bit of a nightmare anyway... Errr the general public - Who can pick em?

XX J XX

i think you could probably do without clients like that!
if she is behaving this way befor you have done anything imagine how she would be if there was ever a problem with her nails!

I agree, dont let this lady put you off!!
Maybe she was new to nails and had no idea of the time and skill involved in creating enhancements!!
No need to be rude though, if you get someone like this you could try and explain why it takes a bit of time and patience, i always try and be over nice if i meet someone like this as they normally back down (unless they are really are on one!) deep breath and carry on!!! xxx

I had someone who did this to me! Couldn't understand why I couldn't do them in 45 minutes in her lunch break like I had done her friend!!! Turns out her friend had been to the NSS a dozen doors up! I said I don't work like that, but if she wanted a quick set ... and ruined natural nails ... then go up the road!

Don't let people upset you, if you can't do it, you can't do it! 1 and 1/2 hours is standard salon timing so you've done nothing wrong at all ... you just got a quick lesson in how some clients behave and thankfully it rarely happens. I'm sure your next client will be lovely - 99.9% of them are :hug:

Best way to deal with them is smile sweetly and act with professionalism, let them behave like a muppet .... and then go out the back in the staffroom and have a good scream when they have gone!!

Hey good job it didnt work out that time I say - she sounds like the kind of client you DONT want to start on ! She would likely have been picky all the way through and wrecked your confidence. Dont be upset - there really are some lovely people out there. Good luck :hug:

thanks for that. thankfully it hasn't put me off and i've got another client monday and tuesday....fingers crossed these will go fine.

xxxx

I treat customers depending on how they treat me - if someone were dissatisfied and it was down to me, I would bend over backwards to be helpful/polite etc...

... however, with ridiculous and irate people, I just block it all out and wouldn't care where they went for their services. And especially people who want special treatment just 'because'.

Don't worry about it - you don't do nails in 45 minutes because you care about your work. Simple as. People will ALWAYS pay for quality.

Personally I would want anything to do with a client like this anyway so I wouldn't worry. You probably had a lucky escape :eek: .

Not been doing this job long myself but it soon becomes clear who I want to keep and who I don't. The 'don'ts' are not worth the hassle they give you believe me!

I had a call from a lady last week who wanted me to do infills for a set of Bio gels that another tech had put on two weeks before. I said that I was happy to do them for her, but pointed out that as I had not done the original set, I would prefer to see them first, just in case for some reason (lifting or otherwise) they couldn't be infilled. "Fine" she said.

Before confirming the appointment, I said that I would need approximately an hour and a half to do them. "Really" she said ... "my last tech only took 30 minutes". I said that may be so, but I take a little longer. "Fine" she said.

A couple of days later, she called back to cancel the appointment ... I have to say though that I was relieved as I got the impression she would have been a very difficult person to deal with!

The general public are quite frankly something else! My other job, ( I work as a receptionist in a hotel ), never ceases to amaze me, they expect so much for for little! My mum always brought me up to, " No matter how horrible people are to you smile and be polite, you may be fuming inside but remain calm but above all else retain your dignity at all times even though you want to punch their f****ing lights in!" Her words not mine.
I've been in tears because of certain joe-public at my work but never in front of them.
You have to remember that these em awkward people are generally a minority

Looks like you have some very good advice so far!
At the end of the day she may end up going to some one who can do them in half an hour but will they last?
In fact I don't know anyone who can do a full set in half an hour!!!
I wish I could!!!

Don't let them grind you down.........it's her loss really not yours.

Keep rockin':hug:

lol thanks fifitrix...feel alot better now it just took alot for me to build the confidence up for my first client...made me feel awfull but i just smiled and thanked her anyway.

thankyou all i feel alot better now xxx

There's a bright side to this:
As a tech, in a sense, you CAN pick and choose your clients.
You do NOT have to do everyone's nails. If someone really upsets you or really gets you rattled... there are ways out of it.

The bright side is if she was that difficult, then thankfully you didn't have to face the difficulties for 1.5hrs straight.:wink2:

You want to love your job. Not dread it.

We all face people like this, accustomed to the NSS.
For now, we have to grin and bear it and try to educate the public as to the difference between US and THEM.

One day, the dreaded NSS WILL BE gone.. until then, enjoy the clients that DO appreciate skills and time taken to do their nails PROPERLY.
Later, you can nod and smile knowingly when yet another learns her lesson and chooses the long road vs the short road.

:hug:

I have a friend who goes to a salon where she has Bio natural nail overlays. THis is done in about 35 minuts from start to finish. I cant really comment, as I am not yet trained so dont know hte normal timings for this treatment.....but all I will say is that her nails are forever chipping at the free edge.

Is that an acceptable time for NNO's with Bio?

I suppose there's not really an acceptable or unacceptable time for NNO's with Bio, but what I do know is that good prep takes me at least 15-20 minutes and about an hour and a quarter to do a full set (prep included).

When I first completed my training, I was taking two hours but no one seemed to mind as they never had any problems with chipping or lifting and still don't for that matter.

i had a client in the salon today that left before i even started, not through anything that i did........but because she wanted me to do a full set of gel extensions within half an hour to an hour. i tried to explain to her that it took between 1&1/2 to 2 hours to do a full set and she got really angry with me because i couldn't do them quicker. have you ever had a client do this and how do you deal with them?

i felt so fustrated aswell as dissapointed as this was my first assessment and it's took me a long time to build up the confidence to do my first client.:cry:

What a b*tch! Surely if she wanted it done that quickly she would have checked at her appointment time and if not booked in at a time she was in less of a rush. Chin up and dont let this nasty cow ruin your confidence before you even start.
I remember when I was doing my course, they got a model in for me as my model had bailed on me. It was for my first infills. This woman came and had not had her nails infilled for about six weeks, most of them had come off and what hadnt needed to come off, so I ended up having to do a full set and she was huffing and puffing through the whole thing as she had left her 9 year old daughter in the charge of her 12 year old son and expected to be no more than an hour. I was in training for gods sake, everything was taking me nearly 3+ hours as I was being taught while I was doing it. I was so on edge and I tried to get the educator to take over and get her finish because she was so pissed of, but the educator told her that you are here as a model that these were the time students took and that is why she got it for free.
Feel for you. Better that she left than stayed and destroyed your confidence even more.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug: :green: :hug:

I suppose there's not really an acceptable or unacceptable time for NNO's with Bio, but what I do know is that good prep takes me at least 15-20 minutes and about an hour and a quarter to do a full set (prep included).

When I first completed my training, I was taking two hours but no one seemed to mind as they never had any problems with chipping or lifting and still don't for that matter.

Is that including tips/sculpts or just NNO's My friend said the tech used to take about 1h 15mins when she first trained, but now has it down to 40 minutes. I am pushed to do a proper manicure in that time, it has to be said........ Still, she is going to be one of my guniae pigs for a couple of sets when I have trained, so she may see where the extra time is being spent.

Is that including tips/sculpts or just NNO's

An hour and a quarter for NNO's ... with tips, approx. two hours.

At the end of the day, if it takes me a little longer than other Bio techs and my clients are happy with that and their nails, then that's good enough for me.

BTW, my educator, who has been using Bio for several years, admits that she still takes two hours to do a full set of NNO's.

I have a friend who goes to a salon where she has Bio natural nail overlays. THis is done in about 35 minuts from start to finish. I cant really comment, as I am not yet trained so dont know hte normal timings for this treatment.....but all I will say is that her nails are forever chipping at the free edge.

I have been told, the reason they are done so quick, is not much prep is done, then the gel is only painted on in a couple of thin layers, no build for strength is used, which is why she probably gets chipping at the free edge, they are too thin. I can honestly say, my prep alone takes me about 35 minutes, a fullset of tips or sculpts about 1 hour and a half.

Latest posts

Back