How do you deal with cell phones, laptops while working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree that these client should have been aware of the safety issue with GEEG.

Not only mobile phone addicted but also...

I used to work with a teeny mum who carrying her wee baby girl while she had her nails done. :evil: It was really annoying as she didn't even care for her baby using her feet to move baby's trolley.

I have to let her stop the baby's crying with the other hand that had already PREP. :Scared: So far I can say that was a terrible set of nails I have ever done, honestly speaking.

What else I can say... :twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree that these client should have been aware of the safety issue with GEEG.

Not only mobile phone addicted but also...

I used to work with a teeny mum who carrying her wee baby girl while she had her nails done. :evil: It was really annoying as she didn't even care for her baby using her feet to move baby's trolley.

I have to let her stop the baby's crying with the other hand that had already PREP. :Scared: So far I can say that was a terrible set of nails I have ever done, honestly speaking.

What else I can say... :twisted:

I had the same experience once ... nightmare ... !!

At the beginning of my career I once took 45 min to do an eyebrow wax on a woman who kept jumping off the bed to attend to her misbehaving toddler!!! At the end I had to be firm and just explain that unfortunately I only have 10 min allocated for thus treatment and I already 40 min late. She complained to the salon manager that I was rude and that she is unlikely to be back. I got a disciplinary for that but was glad not to see her again. You loose you gain!

The question is how to be firm enough and at the same time polite. Agree with Gigi some people do treat us like servants. And I am sorry I have Masters in Finance degree, well known parents and high IQ, but it's not written on my forehead. I work in the area where a lot of milionaires leave and their precious ladies , who never worked a day in life are our salons biggest clientelle. They all know each other. So if you upset one all will know. Food in salons should be banned like smoking. It's terrible. They bring food as if they did not have time to do it beforehand or they will die of starvation in the next hour. I refuse to start a treatment unless they have finished their meal and washed their hands. And to be honest those who did don't bring it again as they might have got the message! But some people, Jesus !!!

With phones, I stop treatment and down tools! They get the gist and wrap it up.

I find children really hard to deal with, babies-worse as all babies look at me and cry! I'm not maternal at all. At the 1st salon I was at I did a clients makeup as she was breastfeeding, I had to be careful not to bash the baby on the head with my powder and foundation brushes as i whisk these around a fair bit and they are long handled. She was a bridesmaid and her dress was made for the wedding with an invisible fastening on a strap as they knew she would have the baby by the date...

anyways a laptop or even a notebook laptop would really get in the way for nails.

Oh my sweet lord...just reading about some of the clients you get leaves me speechless. :eek: Breastfeeding while getting her makeup done....are you serious? And EATING? :Scared:

I just would not allow any of that carry on. Fortunately for me, not many clients try it. Those that have done so have been smartly reminded to put their manners back in.

I don't care how many degrees you have or haven't or what your parents do. That's irrelevant. You are a professional and there's a modicum of basic respect that is warranted. However, if you don't demand respect then you won't get it.

How do I deal with mobile phones, laptops etc while working?

I don't. Because I won't tolerate them.

Oh god, I get em all. soooo buseee that they wanna try and eat in my face when I'm cutting their hair!!! phones out all the time. Lopsided haircut anyone?

I just stop now and say I will be back when they have finished eating/chatting/texting etc. I need their heads in specific positions for cutting which cannot be done while sodding about doing other things.

SIT STILL WHILE YOUR HAVING YOUR HAIR CUT FOR GODS SAKE.

Nah, let 'em move around.
A quick skin cut and the sight of blood will make 'em sit still. :twisted:

15 minutes = extra charge to my way of thinking!! But I wouldn't allow it in the first place.

Yes, I think you are encouraging the use of cell phones if you are allowing them to be used during a service. Not only is it RUDE, it is insulting, disrespectful and DISMISSIVE of you as a person ... as if you are just a servant and not worth the attention or talking to. Outrageous way to treat a person.

I wouldn't allow cell phones either as the people using them can't keep their hands still when they are talking on them. It is not asking too much I feel to ignore, put on silent or switch off the cell during an appointment. Any other beauty service would not allow it.

Maybe I've lived too long in North America (where work is worshipped) but I do allow cell phones (to a degree)

I have a lot of business women as clients and they often come during work hours (they work in this area and live further out of town).
One dear client of mine often appologizes and tells me that she has a conference call she has to listen to.
She uses hands free and listens while I do her nails. I don't have a problem with that.
Another clients often comes during her work hours and she is on call as well. She uses a head set.
These women are professional, they ask me first so I don't have problem.
I feel that they pay for the nails and not for chatting with me and sometimes their work wins. Otherwise they would have to come after work when the traffic is bad etc.
To be honest it's refreshing actually sometimes not to having to talk to the client ;)

During my pedicures I have clients who read magazines or read their Blackberry or do their paper work. Some talk and some sleep. I don't mind. It's their time. Sometimes it's their only time during the day to do whatever they want.

If people don't have head sets I usually tell them that I'm really really sorry but they cannot touch their nails during the service.
Their hands are either in the lamp or I'm working on them.
For that reason I keep the lamps on usually, so even though one hand is cured and I'm still working on the other, the first one stays in the light untill I'm done with the other one.
If the light goes off the clients think that their hand is "theirs" ;)

If they really have to call someone (like to call someone 10 minutes before they are finished so they can be picked up) I just tell them that I will let them know when they can use their phone.
No long conversations though.

None the less.. Like Gigi said, talking on the phone while you are with someone is rude.

Laptops? How? The client has to sit straight? Where would they put the laptop? On my workspace? No way.

Nataliya...I have an eater too...every time she comes in, 2 mins early, with a hefty baguette and says, oh I'm starving I'm just gonna eat this, which is fine if she arrives in time to eat the blooming thing before her appt, but no, she expects me to leave her to eat the flaming thing then take her for her appt at 12.10 instead of 12.00!!! NO WAY JOSE, I run to appointments for a reason. I don't eat my lunch when I'm supposed to be colouring her hair!!!!!

Phone calls - I used to have one client who would JUMP out of the basin to answer her phone. And then you get the "....oh I'm all wet down the back of my top..." DUHHHH thats why the basin is there, to catch the water!!! Now its my salon, I leave clients to it if they are on the phone. Most keep the call to a minimum, or call back when their colour is developing, which is fine, but I just leave them to it. It annoys me, and like Geeg said - do I need to allow extra time for this? If so, I should be charging more money. It's unfair to not expect this.

I say no laptops...could get damaged, etc. Phones....harder to rule out, but just politely explain you cannot be held responsible for any damage to it. But it is very disrespectful, in my eyes.

RANT OVER :D

Funny enough it is the women who DON'T work who are the worst culprits for all this. They all pretend to be "sooo buseeee" all the time and constantly get calls on their mobile etc. I resist the urge to ask "busy doing what exactly?" and generally race through the blow dry.At that point they twig that they are asking for a fast service, and quit the whining about how they "cant fit everything in" Silly women are just attention seeking.

Funny enough it is the women who DON'T work who are the worst culprits for all this. They all pretend to be "sooo buseeee" all the time and constantly get calls on their mobile etc. I resist the urge to ask "busy doing what exactly?" and generally race through the blow dry.At that point they twig that they are asking for a fast service, and quit the whining about how they "cant fit everything in" Silly women are just attention seeking.

I had a client cancel last minute once cos her 16 year old wouldn't have anyone to cook his dinner if she came to get her hair done....

I had a client cancel last minute once cos her 16 year old wouldn't have anyone to cook his dinner if she came to get her hair done....

I used to be soft but now I have just about had it. I now say excuse me but you need to make sure your phone is in your bag and on silent mode, due to the fact that there are other clients getting relaxing treatments. Cause the other day this womans phone went off with the most WTF tune, I nearly had an accident lol. And then the facial client complained that she nearly died when she heard it. I meant it was that loud it could wake Elvis up;)

Gigi is right they have to respect us. But they won't if we are not firm.

Lol

Cause the other day this womans phone went off with the most WTF tune, I nearly had an accident lol.

WTF tune!!!!!!! Hilarious!!!!!!! I hate those loud ringtones!!!!

Well i'm starting off as I mean to go on ............... and this exactly what i've put on the back of my aftercare leaflet .............

Please note: I am contactable by telephone between the following hours only:

Mon to Friday - 08:00 to 19:00 hours
Saturday - 09:00 to 12 noon
Sunday – Unavailable

To ensure I give all of my clients my undivided attention and they receive the best possible service; whilst with a client, I will not take phone calls. However, please leave me a voice message, text message or email and I will return your call as soon as I am available.

Use of Mobile Phones Within Treatment Room

Due to the chemicals I use, insurance purposes and that I provide you with the best possible service, I do not permit my clients to use their mobile phones within the treatment room and ask you to ensure your phones are kept off the manicure table at all times and preferably left in your bags/pockets.

Punctuality

I request that you arrive as punctually as possible for appointments so that I can ensure you receive your full treatment time and prevent inconvenience to my other clients.

Safety Precautions
Please inform me of any medical conditions, including pregnancy prior to booking so that all treatments can be carried out safely and where necessary tailored to suit individual needs/requirements
Late Cancellations
24 hours notice of cancellation would be greatly appreciated. A small charge may be applied.
Strictly Over 18's only!
Your co-operation is very much appreciated.
..................... People think they can get away with murder with me when they first meet me due to my bubbly personality and courteous nature, but they soon realise I don't and won't tolerate no nonsense. It's quite interesting to see what people will try on with me and how far they will push me and that is not just in business but my personal life too, lol. My two nieces only need me to give them one of my looks and they know they stepped over the line with me, lol.

Rude, rude,rude.
I would very politely ask them to not answer their phone. I have please switch off your mobile signs up .

Hello geeks! yes I think it's very rude...! :twisted: I ask clients to turn their mobiles off or switch it to silent when they are having a treatment as its very disturbing for them and me! (politely asked though). Mobile phones are a definite no no when doing nails won't put up with it, most people are ok with it as they don't want to wreck their nails anyway. One day I was doing a pedicure on one of my clients after she had her nails done, and what did she go to get her "PHONE", well she ended up dropping it in the foot spa ha ha :biggrin: it was so funny so that will teach her to just leave her phone until later! Her next appointment with me she told me her phone was ruined she was gutted. x

Well i'm starting off as I mean to go on ............... and this exactly what i've put on the back of my aftercare leaflet .............

Lou I am not so sure about your leaflets wording, it kind of put me OFF. And if i was a client, I would not bother going. It a good idea maybe to look around for examples in other places just to give you an idea, before you print it honey) Its a bit rough:D

Please note: I am contactable by telephone between the following hours only:

Mon to Friday - 08:00 to 19:00 hours
Saturday - 09:00 to 12 noon
Sunday – Unavailable (what about if they want appointment on monday 8 am and you had a space?

To ensure I give all of my clients my undivided attention and receive the best possible service; whilst with a client, I will not take phone calls:Look_left.Clients dont need to know this. I would record the message on your voicemail and kindly explain that during opening hous you are not always able to get to the phone and will get back to them as soon as possible. However, please leave me a voice message, text message or email and I will return your call as soon as I am available.

Use of Mobile Phones Within Treatment Room

Due to the chemicals I use, insurance purposes and that I provide you with the best possible service, I do not permit :Look_left :?:my clients to use their mobile phones within the treatment room and ask you to ensure your phones are kept off the manicure table at all times and preferably left in your bags/pockets. CHEMICALS - be careful not to scare clients away

Punctuality

I request that you arrive as punctually as possible for appointments so that I can ensure you receive your full treatment time and prevent inconvenience to my other clients. You cant request you can kindly ask. :Look_righClients are paying you for your time!

Safety Precautions
Please inform me of any medical conditions, including pregnancy prior to booking so that all treatments can be carried out safely and where necessary tailored to suit individual needs/requirements (YOU have to carry out a full consultation prior treatment with new clients, and check the details with every returning client - thats important for insurance purposes. Clients sometimes forget that they have a verruca or diabetes. It is your responsibility to make sure during consultation that clients are suitable to receive the treatment.
Late Cancellations
PLEASE allow at least 24 hours notice for cancellations to avoid 50% charge. A small charge may be applied.:Look_leftsmall charge does not make them to turn up
Strictly Over 18's only! WHY? Under 18s witha parents permission may be attracting prom girls. What about birthday girls, girly parties, seems like missing out on some business!
Your co-operation is very much appreciated.

..................... People think they can get away with murder with me when they first meet me due to my bubbly personality and courteous nature( you are a professional and this is how you should be, every hour, every day to every client, thats why they come to YOU), but they soon realise I don't and won't tolerate no nonsense (they may never come back again). It's quite interesting to see what people will try on with me and how far they will push me (unfortunately this is our job and you will get various types of people. Dont you think it would have rather nice if we could choose our clients? and that is not just in business but my personal life too(personal life should be left outside your workspace and you should never talk too much about yourself. its all about THE client, lol. My two nieces only need me to give them one of my looks and they know they stepped over the line with me, lol. (i am sorry hun, but with an attitude like this especially at the very start of your journey it wont do you much good.

IMHO - I sorry if this may make you upset, but this is truly constractive criticism
based on 8 years experience, being a senior therapist in a busy spa and salon owner. You just need to put all the above in attractive, kind and polite manner.

hugs :lick:

Latest posts

Back