How do you do it on your own?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hi Luvvies,
I'm openinf my salon in about 3 weeks and at the beginning it's just gonna be little me!
I was wondering how all you geeks who are in the salon by themsleves manage?
How do you manage with the phone ringing if you're in the middle of a treatment? Do you lock the front door when you're in the treatment room with a client?
I'll probably take on a part-time member of staff, but what do I do when it's just me?
Any tips or advice?
Thanks so much! :hug:

helloo,

well i dont actually have my own business, but i know someone who does and she too works alooone.

i know that she has an automatically locking door, but she can put it on the catch, whenever shes in treatment she programs the phone so that it goes straight to answerphone and it takes the message. She also has caller id so that she doesnt get any unwanted sales calls.

hope this helps a bit xx

Hi hun i run my salon all by myself, you soon adapt
your clients will like the fact that they will know their treatment will be performed by you each time instead of a different therapist on each appointment,
if i am doing a treatment where i can answer the phone, i do so, my clients are very understanding about me been the only one there, if i am in the middle of spray tans or waxing then i let the answerphone take the call and i phone them back asap,
if i am doing a treatment where i need to lock the door i put a sign on the door stating that i am doing a treatment, ask them to knock on the door to let me know that they are there and ask them to take a seat in the hall and that i will be with them as soon as possible,
this works well for me and my clients hth :hug:
as for the sales reps i simply say no thank you i am not interested, if they carry on i politely interrupt them and repeat that i am not interested and put the phone down.

I took on a few 15 year olds after school and at weekends. I paid them £3 an hour but they answered my calls, cleaned my salon and looked after my clients and I cant run my business without them. I treat them when I can to treatments. be careful though as there are a lot of rules and regs about child labour.

I also use an 0845 number and that automatically captures my calls so I can call people back and also I divert my calls to a friend or callcentre and they take names and numbers etc for me to call back when I have time between appointments.

I lock the doors but thats for safety for all my staff as at night you dont know who could walk in. I have an intercom system so can talk to them and tell them I will be right down.

As to sales calls if they call from an anon number they wont come through as I have had them blocked but those that do I just say 'i am in a treatment and can't spare any time if you have my address then send me the info as I dont buy anything over the phone and if I am interested I will call you, bye!' I never give them chance to talk back. Most companies ask for sales info to be sent by mail so they are used to it. Then when it comes I put it in the recycling bin!

Be careful working late nights though I used to leave on a thursday alone and got mugged and it wasnt a chance thing either. Only take your takings home in the day and get them banked and be wary of anyone who calls and ask you what time the place closes. Its obviously a rare thing but always be on your guard in business.

rope in family and friends - offer them a cheapo mini treatment in return.
also to have them looking like a customer on quiet days is a good ploy!!

Hi Tasha

I moved from my home salon to a place in the City Centre at the beginning of August. I also work on my own at the minute. I lock the door; and
I put a sign on the door to say I'm in a treatment; I also put what time I will next be available & my phone number, with a short message saying if they leave me a voicemail I will return their call as soon as I get out of the treatment.

I was quite worried about doing this - missing potential appointment, but so far so good!! Hope that helps :)

Hi

I have a salon above a hairdressers and also work alone, you do learn to adapt and doe,nt take long to get into a routine.

The hair salon staff answer the phone and if its for me and im not with a client i pick up the phone which ive got upstairs myself.

If i am with a client then they will do my bookings for me which is really good of them,

When i am doing a treatment i have a please do not distub treatment in progress sign so if any walk ins come they know im not available and the hair salon sort it out for me.

I am on my own in the salon from time to time. Clients have to ring the bell to get into the salon anyway and there is a notice on the door so all new clients realise this. They all say it makes them feel safe knowing that no-one can just walk in without warning.
The phone goes to answerphone if I am busy, eg massage/facial, and the message says at busy times can you leave your name/no. and we will call you back. If it's just waxing or a short treatment I excuse myself and answer the phone, clients don't mind if it's a one off.
If you are just starting up, at this quiet time of year you'll find that it'll be easier to manage alone than you think. And besides if it becomes so busy with calls and clients popping in to make appointments etc then you are probably at the stage to be able to afford to pay someone to help you.
Maybe you could get a beauty college student to do unpaid work experience at your place, even if it's only one day per week, that way you have someone answering your phone who knows the basics about treatments etc. And as they usually only go to college part-time you could pay her to do any extra hours on busy days as and when you require it.
Hope it works out for you!

Hi hun i run my salon all by myself, you soon adapt
your clients will like the fact that they will know their treatment will be performed by you each time instead of a different therapist on each appointment,
if i am doing a treatment where i can answer the phone, i do so, my clients are very understanding about me been the only one there, if i am in the middle of spray tans or waxing then i let the answerphone take the call and i phone them back asap,
if i am doing a treatment where i need to lock the door i put a sign on the door stating that i am doing a treatment, ask them to knock on the door to let me know that they are there and ask them to take a seat in the hall and that i will be with them as soon as possible,
this works well for me and my clients hth :hug:
as for the sales reps i simply say no thank you i am not interested, if they carry on i politely interrupt them and repeat that i am not interested and put the phone down.

This is exactly what I did when it was just little ol' me. Clients are very understanding when it's just you on your own

Latest posts

Back