How do you position your client to do an arm wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADiva1

Reaction score
Hi all :hug:

I'm still a novice when it comes to waxing - actually I'm not too bad with a leg wax.:lol:

However, I havent quite grasped how I can comfortably perform an arm wax. Got into a right state the other day doing one.

How do you position your client to do an arm wax and manage to do an effective job?

Thanks.

I do an arm wax whilst the client is still lying on the couch (for a leg or brow wax) and put a piece of couch roll under the arm to protect clothing etc. I work from the outermost strip first (usually in line with the outside of the pinky ) and wax in vertical strips to the inside of the forearm. Usually the client helps by rotating the arm for me.
Don't forget to check the fingers for hair too !!:)
With practice, you'll make short work of it.
HTH

I do an arm wax with the client sitting next to the treatment bed, with the arm straight out, sometimes with the arm laying flat on the bed, sometimes withit stetched out leaning on it.

I prefer the client lying flat with arm straight - I also get the client to stretch the skin with her hand while I stretch the skin also. I use a fine layer of powder to stop perspiration.

When its warm its the worst place to wax because of perspiration.

Do you mean forearm or underarm?

For underarm the I have the client lying flat with her arm flat above her head.

For forearm I was taught to sit the client and have the rest their arm on the couch at angle comfortable to both you and the client. Although I guess if they are already in having other areas waxed you could have them lying down still with their arm over a covered pillow.

hth:hug:

Underarms-client lying flat, with the arm you are about to wax the arm pit of pointing towards top of couch, bent back towards/under head (this keeps the skin tight). They then pull the skin taught with their other hand over their armpit/breast area. I gently hold the skin of the arm just above the armpit taught too. Hairs usually run in one, two or three directions.

Arms-client sitting at the side of the couch with arms resting on couch, this leaves less chance of wax going on the client and you can easily see around all sides of the arm.

They just turn their hands palm up to do the inner arm and bend arms up (folded back towards themselves touching/holding their shoulders) off the couch to do around the elbow.

I grip their arm on the opposite side to the one I am waxing to get a good stretch. The hairs go around the arm especially on the outer side so you need to apply the wax slanting down around the curve and place the strip the same way at a slight angle, pulling off as close to the skin as possible.

:hug:

Oh crikey - I have just noticed that this is for arm waxing not under arm getting mixed up with a post on under arm:smack:

I find the arm a pain to do as there are so many curves to the arm and there isnt much room but yes sitting at the bed with arm rested on the bed or lying flat on the bed (a bed with arm rests is better) doing all the outside first then turning to the inside...I then have a good check for 'missed bits'

Thanks for replying everyone!

I HAAAAATE arm waxing. Because as you move the arm the strips youve waxed contort and twist, so you just end up losing yourself. Ive never found a methodical way of doing it, every lient is diff. I do them all lying down tho with a towel over their top half, arms out.. Sounds a bit rude! lol.

I follow this method using the Clean & Easy roll on system having the client sit on treatment couch facing me arm outstretched.

1. Inside arm - elbow to wrist
1b. Outside arm - as above.
1c. Remove wax.

3. Forearm/top - elbow to wrist.
3b. Remove wax.

4. Elbow area complete.
4b. Remove wax.

Works for me & keeps all mess free.

HtH

XX J XX

I'm always so happy when a client books in for an arm wax... not!:eek:

I have tried pretty much every way BUT as I don't get asked for it very much I haven't really perfected it. However, my new way is to start with the client lying down, arms above the head (sim. to underarm) and wax the entire area that I can see from that position. Then I sit them up, put couch roll over their lap in case of drips, and hold the arm, gripping / stretching from underneath and just work methodically over the whole area. I think with waxing it is absolutely key to be methodical and have a good check at the end for any missed bits.

I find arm wax clients can be the most fussy, I don't mean that in a nasty way, but often arm wax clients don't really need it doing (imo) so the fact they think they need it doing means they are sensitive about the hair, and particular about the result. One thing to watch is where to stop, so that you don't leave a tide mark, for instance... on a dark haired person if you wax the entire arm you can make the back look hairy, so you need to blend. A suggestion I have read (prob. posted by Andy!) is to use a used wax strip that is already sticky to thin out the tide mark area, as it will kind of pull half the hairs out rather than all of them, therefore softening the line. (Sorry Andy, if I have not explained this well!)

The other things is, I personally find it takes me ages. Not sure how long they allow for it in a salon but it's fiddly and (I hate to admit this) I would probably allow an hour, just in case:rolleyes:

Lastly, and again this is a tip I got from someone else, you must include the hands and fingers... but not ask the client if they want them doing, as this draws attention to the 'problem'.. simply do it as a matter of course:)

Hth's, Zoe x

Trust me this only takes 20 mins once you have got your head around it, get someone to demonstrate it to you- it's actually a pretty simple wax if you do all of the outside including hands first then the inside. It's just a matter of practice like with everything else. It's such a small area that you'll soon be whipping it off in no time x The problem is that usually when you train there are very few who want it done so you don't get the same practice. :hug:

Latest posts

Back