How do you remove twinkle toes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenrose

Reaction score
I done my first set of twinkle toes this morning! They look ace! Was trying out diff colors on my cousin to see what they looked like. I just bought a really fine glitter and sprinkled it onto the gel before cuing.
But just wondering how you get them off! I tried to file, but it wasnt budging. Does it take a while to file off? Any tips please?

Bit late to tell you this lol but I use a soak off gel now when doing twingle toes then remove with cotton wool and acetone, saves the awful filing:)x

How would I do them then? Only time I use gel is for toes so not clued up on how gels work!

You can use any glitter as long as its very fine, I get mine from the local arts and craft shop x:)

Video is great thanks!
But how can I get this stuff off the toes?

If its regular gel you got to file it off, it will take longer than usual due to the glitter overlay. I usually use soak off gel to do twinkle toes because its faster/easier to remove, so next time try using soak off gels instead.

hi karen yeh with the gel that you have used you will need to buff them off.

I use acrylic for my twinkle toes therefore i know it will soak off xxx

Chimbabweep, I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to use acrylic on the toes, only gel?? As the acrylic is harder than the gel and if you stub your foot you could cause a lot more damage to the natural nail, due to gel being more flexible.

Can someone please confirm this??

Chimbabweep, I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to use acrylic on the toes, only gel?? As the acrylic is harder than the gel and if you stub your foot you could cause a lot more damage to the natural nail, due to gel being more flexible.

Can someone please confirm this??

Gel is acrylic, just a dif. form. And people have used it on toes. I have seen extensions etc.

Cool thanks, will just have to file it off her toes then!
So with soak off gel is it just all applied the same? Only difference is the removal?
I did try acrylic on my toes, took me ages to get it all off though! And found it too harsh looking! x

My cousin has spent 3hours filing her toes on one foot and its still not all off. She hasnt even attemtped the other foot! Any ideas?

i use Brisa and havent really had to buff it off yet until last week. I tried soaking the last little bit off but it didnt really happen HOWEVER a friend who had brisa french decided to soak them off even tho it shouldnt soak off and she claims that it was ok to get off. So I havent tried this myself yet and i know its not supposed to soak off, but might be worth a try tho more difficult with toes.

I use Shellac for glitter toes as it soaks off pretty easily. I cant be doing with filing toe gel with glitter down :) I know this doesnt help you right now tho :(

Should I get her to try acetone to soak it off? Really want to know how to get it off properly before I do it on a paying client!! lol!

I too did glitter toes on myself and daughter using hard gel (buff off) and it took forever to get off due to the high glitter content! Vowed to myself would do with acrylic after as easily soaked off. I have mainly mature ladies so none have asked for glitter toes. x

Yes the application is exactly the same with soak off gel x

Ideally Twinkle Toes should be applied using gel, so I think u'll need to file off and buff towards the end to prevent damage.

I’ve been doing twinkle toes for over 3 yrs now and I’m surprised at how many different techniques there are.
Click below for our original step by step guide
http://www.youngnails.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=391

Just a couple of tips to go with it........

Mani Q is perfect for Twinkle Toes, it is a crystal clear, one component, gel that allows your glitter to shine through for weeks on end with no discolouration.

And YN Finish is the perfect UV top coat that really makes those toes twinkle when you step outside in the daylight.

Apply the gel sparingling and precise as the glitter will stick and you need to prevent it going all over the surrounding skin. Although this will wash away easily when your client showers.

The finished result should be no thicker than the regular gel enhancement so very fine glitter is advised.

V.Important! Apply 2/3 thin layers opposed to one thick one, this will allow full curing between layers. The second layer you can easily fill in those gaps you may have missed.

Darker colours such as red / black and bronze will need a longer cure due to the darker pigment

We tend to mix colours creating a more customised look and adding ‘diamond dust’, for instance, totally changes the original colour base.

Mani Q and Finish cure with all UV lamps on the market as far as I am aware.

One more thing......buy extra mixing jars for your colour mixes and drill 5/6 small holes in one of the lids and then use this same lid each time as a ‘salt shaker’ for whenever you’re applying different coloured glitters. This will give you more control and cause less wastage.

Hope that’s all made sense. Call me or pm me for any questions

Last edited:
Oooh brilliant idea on the drilling holes in a spare lid!

I normally only use 2 layers of gel and and haven't found it takes *that* long to buff off. I also use Glaze n Go as my final layer, it just speeds things up. It works for me anyhow and it was how we were taught doing our NVQ 3 at college.

Latest posts

Back