How do you tell a client...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with these comments. We all have the occasional client who's not the cleanest of person and I for one hate it when they have a mass of God knows what under their nails. However I certainly would not start dictating to the client about their personal hygiene. (Even if I wanted to,LOL) Most people would be deeply insulted if you as much as hinted at it. If a client came into me for a pedicure and they had smelly feet I would't ask them to wash their feet first, if someone came into the salon for a Brazillion or Bikini wax and they had come straight from work, after doing a 10 hour shift, need I say more? would I ask them to take a bath first. I think not. I'm not saying it's nice to have filthy nails or any of the mentioned but its part of our jobs, I certainly would not feel I had completed my treatment if I had not cleaned under the free edge.When I did my training cleaning under the nails was part of the service. You couldn't pick and choose who's you would clean and who you wouldn't.If you use an orange stick tipped with cotton wool then it's not too bad, (just try not to look at what's on the cotton wool:sad: )I think if we do start refusing to do basic things like cleaning under someones nail it's gonna be a sure way to losing clients.

I've had a couple of clients like this and i explain that you are going to see whats under there with the enhansment as I hand them an orange stick and some paper towel and explain that I am never happy using an orange stick under some one elses nails because I'm always affraid of hurting them, the look on their faces as they wipe the gunk onto the paper towel is priceless, theres no substute for haveing it all there in front of you:D

Susie H said:
I've had a couple of clients like this and i explain that you are going to see whats under there with the enhansment as I hand them an orange stick and some paper towel and explain that I am never happy using an orange stick under some one elses nails because I'm always affraid of hurting them, the look on their faces as they wipe the gunk onto the paper towel is priceless, theres no substute for haveing it all there in front of you:D
I always clean their nails in front of them Susie and the particular clients we're talking about see me change the cotton wool several times and sadly it dosn't make any difference to most of them. If you use cotton wool on your orange stick their is no risk of hurting them.I have actually had some ladies come straight from doing their gardening, yum! :Scared:

BABSann said:
I'm sorry but I totally disagree with these comments. We all have the occasional client who's not the cleanest of person and I for one hate it when they have a mass of God knows what under their nails. However I certainly would not start dictating to the client about their personal hygiene. (Even if I wanted to,LOL) Most people would be deeply insulted if you as much as hinted at it. If a client came into me for a pedicure and they had smelly feet I would't ask them to wash their feet first, if someone came into the salon for a Brazillion or Bikini wax and they had come straight from work, after doing a 10 hour shift, need I say more? would I ask them to take a bath first. I think not. I'm not saying it's nice to have filthy nails or any of the mentioned but its part of our jobs, I certainly would not feel I had completed my treatment if I had not cleaned under the free edge.When I did my training cleaning under the nails was part of the service. You couldn't pick and choose who's you would clean and who you wouldn't.If you use an orange stick tipped with cotton wool then it's not too bad, (just try not to look at what's on the cotton wool:sad: )I think if we do start refusing to do basic things like cleaning under someones nail it's gonna be a sure way to losing clients.
If you visit a dentist with loads of dental caries, crud on your teeth and stonkingly bad hallitosis, then I doubt the dentist would stop short of suggesting you use toothpaste and a brush twice a day (diplomatically, of course)! Of course one would not want to insult a client who comes in for a wax, having been working for 10 hours and is less than fresh and sweet smelling, but I for one would nip to the bathroom and have a freshen up first. I brush my teeth before I sit in the dentists chair. It's personal pride. I do ask my clients to freshen up their feet if I'm doing gel on toes and know they have been in shoes all day(again diplomatically). As for the 84 year old client, it is a difficult situation because although spritely, she is 84. My fear is that, like Rose143 says, has the old lady been scratching her bum or worse still, have her fingers gone through the toilet paper:eek: ?

Mrs.Clooney said:
If you visit a dentist with loads of dental caries, crud on your teeth and stonkingly bad hallitosis, then I doubt the dentist would stop short of suggesting you use toothpaste and a brush twice a day (diplomatically, of course)! Of course one would not want to insult a client who comes in for a wax, having been working for 10 hours and is less than fresh and sweet smelling, but I for one would nip to the bathroom and have a freshen up first. I brush my teeth before I sit in the dentists chair. It's personal pride. I do ask my clients to freshen up their feet if I'm doing gel on toes and know they have been in shoes all day(again diplomatically). As for the 84 year old client, it is a difficult situation because although spritely, she is 84. My fear is that, like Rose143 says, has the old lady been scratching her bum or worse still, have her fingers gone through the toilet paper:eek: ?
I would obviously wash also before going to have any bikini wax(actually I do my own) but I would always wash down below prior to any waxing,even some wet ones in handbag. It's a difficult one because you dont know whats underneath anyones nails, however short. There's lots of nasties that I dont even want to think about when I'm cleaning out nails. However I dont usually pass comment I do as Susie said clean their nails out in front of them. That's my tactful way of letting them know what's underneath their nails. I would never not clean underneath no matter how bad. It isn't nice as I said earlier hen they have goodness knows what but it's my job to do it and I do without comment. Not saying I wish I could say a few things.

BABSann said:
I would obviously wash also before going to have any bikini wax(actually I do my own) but I would always wash down below prior to any waxing,even some wet ones in handbag. It's a difficult one because you dont know whats underneath anyones nails, however short. There's lots of nasties that I dont even want to think about when I'm cleaning out nails. However I dont usually pass comment I do as Susie said clean their nails out in front of them. That's my tactful way of letting them know what's underneath their nails. I would never not clean underneath no matter how bad. It isn't nice as I said earlier hen they have goodness knows what but it's my job to do it and I do without comment. Not saying I wish I could say a few things.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't comment on the crud and I would do the necessary cleaning otherwise I'd be wasting my time and their money , but if they were gross, I would ask them to wash their hands or feet first and explain that it is imperative for the survival of the enhancement. Fortunately, I haven't been in this position yet and my clients hands and feet have been ok. I always thought I'd fear pedicures but I actually really enjoy them. Just my opinion though. Anyway, I'm off now to enjoy an Open Day at Pronails in Bushey. Will geek later. Have fun.

i think doing the job for them reinforces their belief that its o.k to turn up with all sorts of crap under their nails.

i think suzie has the right idea, get them to do it themselves.

angel fingers said:
i think doing the job for them reinforces their belief that its o.k to turn up with all sorts of crap under their nails.

i think suzie has the right idea, get them to do it themselves.

DITTO!

And I personally would NEVER go for a brazillian without a shower first. Put your appointment on another day when you CAN shower first. Same as I wouldn't go see my gyno either at the end of a long work day..
Or see dentist without having brushed my teeth first.

It is not THEIR job to make sure that I am clean.

While it is our job to make sure that clients have beautiful hands and feet, I draw the line at cleaning 'their' dirt.
Particularly when a client is just plain disgusting. If they can't bring themselves to clean their own dirt, then they must be fine with it, so let them live with it.
YES, there are sometimes extenuating circumstances..or the odd occasion when a regular who is really good about that sort of thing ran out of time or whatever (and those are the ones that have pride and are embarassed about the slightest yuck under their nails) but....... there's a definate line.....

There are ways to be discreet about it.. and to get them to do it on their own to avoid the yukkies ourselves.

Edited to add:
I personally think it's a sign of disregard and disrespect when someone else expects you to tolerate and clean their dirt when they dont do it themselves......

Aah bless her. My guess is that she can't see. I would put some warm soapy water in the sink/basin and scrub them for her with a soft nail brush before you start. Just don't look down whilst you're doing it LOL. xxx

BABSann said:

I'm gonna disagree with you, I think you make your job alot harder for yourself PERIOD!!!

Anyone that walks into a salon with anything grubby has no respect for their bodies or the therapists. I'm sorry but when I used to go for bikini waxes straight after work, it costs nothing to get yourself some Lillets feminine wipes and just freshen up. If your feet smell, and it's your shoes that make them smell (let's hope) I would ask to be shown to the ladies room and get some baby wipes and freshen my feet.

Anyone with the some respect for themselves would do the above and agree with me. I'm sorry there is no excuse for being smelly!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxx

At least she is still making the effort to try and sort her self out but as you say I expect she cannot see very well and I think when you get to that age you dont bother quite as much. She is coming to you for help and I would go along with getting her a brush and offering kind words advice to keep it clean. But tread careful I have a nan that age and I can tell you she is getting a bit mingy lately and we have tried saying some thing and she gets very tetchy.
x

Rose143 said:
I'm gonna disagree with you, I think you make your job alot harder for yourself PERIOD!!!

Anyone that walks into a salon with anything grubby has no respect for their bodies or the therapists. I'm sorry but when I used to go for bikini waxes straight after work, it costs nothing to get yourself some Lillets feminine wipes and just freshen up. If your feet smell, and it's your shoes that make them smell (let's hope) I would ask to be shown to the ladies room and get some baby wipes and freshen my feet.

Anyone with the some respect for themselves would do the above and agree with me. I'm sorry there is no excuse for being smelly!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxx

Yeah I've got to agree with you on this one - why have nail enhancements but not have clean hands? Some retail items for sale could help, in a subtle way of course!

Rose143 said:

xxxx
I agree it dosn't cost anything to freshen up but the sad reality is there's a lot of people that don't, for whatever reason.However I was actually talking manicures not nail enhancements which actually you could get away with not cleaning the free edge because you cant see it.If you did a lovely de-lux manicure with a pale pink polish and you didn't clean under the free edge you are not going to be pleased with your efforts are you? well, I certainly wouldn't. You said earlier you never, ever clean under the free edge you are there to beautify them not clean under their nails. Well when I was at college as I said earlier, this was taught to be part of the treatment.I am not for one minute saying its something I relish and nobody needs to disagree with me cause I am not saying I agree to it but it's part of the treatment and yea there are ways of tactfully letting your client know that maybe their nails need cleaning before coming into you but how do you tell someone that they smell? are you going to refuse to do their treatment?Tell them to rebook, when they have gone home and bathed? I dont think you would ever see those clients again.The point I am making is how do you tell them? do you say anything at all?Do you refuse treatment? I just swallow hold my breath LOL and get on with my job. I will add that I am a very clean person myself and wouldn't dream of turning up somewhere unprepared.You also have to remember that it's not always a case of people not respecting themselves quite often when people have smelly feet and I'm doing a pedicure they are very, very embarrased. I dont sit there and think that person has no respect for themselves or me cause they have smelly feet of other bits and pieces.It's not black and white.

...I ask all my clients to wash thier hands before they sit down in my chair so I'd have no problem handing the lady a nail brush and asking her to scrub before hand. I also wash my hands before each client - it's called sanitising... ;)

Kx

Karen said:
...I ask all my clients to wash thier hands before they sit down in my chair so I'd have no problem handing the lady a nail brush and asking her to scrub before hand. I also wash my hands before each client - it's called sanitising... ;)

Kx

Yes I do the same for manicures but for enhancements I use a liquid similar to the ones used in hospitals. If my clients washed their hands and scrubbed nails just prior to application it would create problems. jmho

River said:
Hi Victoria,

Sorry to go off the thread, but this made me giggle. In the UK and SA, the word "toss" means something completely different to what you meant (if you get my meaning..) :wink2: :D

River

Again river, right on my wave length, but you got in there before me!!

joe90 said:
Again river, right on my wave length, but you got in there before me!!

You are obviously being distracted by that gorgeous pink cardie of yours and not paying much attention to what's going on, on this site !

Or have you been spending your time looking for new undies because you can't seem to get your bladder under control :D

River

Latest posts

Back