How hard are you prepared to work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extensionten

Reaction score
Just a quick thought nail geeks!
If you couldn't afford your training for your nail qualifications.... would you be prepared to work on the public regardless?
Would you use excuses such as: "I have NO TIME to train, or I have NO MONEY to train? So seeing as I'm Okay doing nails, what the heck? What I will do is just go on the geek site and rack the qualified geeks to get the help I need, when I need it!"
Just wondering how many of us are serious nail geeks and who are out there to make a buck but not willing to make the industry as GREAT one.

It's never occurred to me to do any job without doing the necessary training to be able to do my job properly. If you think you can do this job AND charge the public without proper training and insurance then think again ... you're a law suit waiting to happen and given the recent reports EHO's seem to be getting their act together so watch out.

I won't answer anyone on here if they haven't filled out their profile, or if the question is obvious that no training has been completed and the person has no intention of doing any. If they can't make the effort to help themselves then neither will I help them. We are striving to improve the standards within our industry and by telling untrained people how to do it all is against all I believe in. And if you can't afford the continuous training then leave it to those who can because what you think is okay is probably far from any kind of professional standard and you're just giving this industry a bad name.

I simply cannot do enough training. YES I have got some great ideas from this site, but that's all they are IDEAS.
It's a heck of a lot different when you try to do the things that you have read about...and putting them into practice.

I have spent a lot of time, effort and money in training and I will never feel trained enough - there is always something else to learn, even if it is how not to do something LOL.

Like Sassy, I will not help people who are not prepared to help themselves - why should we give away our time and experience FOC to people who have no intention of putting in the same graft as we have.

Equally I will gladly help anyone who has the same sort of passion for the industry that we have.

I too have spent a lot of time, effort & money to train in the areas I have & always feel I want to do/learn more!!! I'm very proud of the qualifications I have achieved!!!! :) But I also feel that this site is great help towards that, as this site & people on it (vicky-fingertips ND) especially have helped me do/ become what I am today & for that I can't ever thank them enough!!!

I have pushed myself financially and physically over the last year to get as much training as I can I have never considered doing the job without getting training.
I have even taken 2 days off my full time job without telling my boss why! to travel 150 miles to stay for 2 nights also put up with my mother for 2 1/2 days!!:eek: to do my Creative Spa Manicure/Pedicure and also my Brisa Induction.
I feel this is a 'Profession' not just a job and the more training you can do the better:)

I know what you are saying and maybe there are lurkers on here who are doing just what you intimate, but, they aren't going to make it work in business for themselves.

Local Councils are begining to up the ante with regard to Health & Safety, which includes hygiene and also filing techniques and potential damage done to natural nails, so how can they expect to get on?

I think that ultimately, regardless of a national standard, local councils are starting to come on side with regard to under par salons.....I know that at least one stereotype NSS has been closed down by the council this week in my area....still haven't had time to suss if the others have too....and Bristol City Council have had loads of call from other local councils asking for assistance in how to monitor nail salons......plus the involvement of the EHO and independant lab tests that they will be doing in the near future.....all good stuff IMO.

I hope the local Councils get round to looking at mobile technicians too, not just nail salons.

self respect..would stop me working on the public untrained and un-insured
i couldnt and wouldnt do it, as a professional the public trust who you say you are, and you shouldnt be anything else.this goes for any professional career,
if you are going to work on the public untrained then you have to admit the fact to the public before you venture out to perform any nail service, my guess is you wont get anywhere career wise or financily.
if you really want something bad enough you will make sacrifices, you will find the time, you will save your pennies, if not...then you dont want it enough

I have a DEP in cosmetology.
I have a diploma in gel-resins (aka dips)
I have a diploma in uv gels.

NEXT diploma in L&P Acrylic. Saving up my pennies cause this will cost me a FORTUNE to take the course I want as I want to take a complete 'beginners' course since my DEP was earned 19yrs ago and want to refresh on diseases etc..

I'm collecting books and vid's as I can..

Ongoing education is a MUST and I wouldn't dream of working on the public without it. Granted.. when I first learned gel-resin's from a tech... I didn't know all there was about about the business BUT I did already have my dep so knew of nail diseases and such. But still, when my hubby suggested I start a business, I didn't until I had taken another gel-resin course at the school. I told him that I didn't think I was good enough.. I was right. 1.5yrs ago, took my uv gel course. Although I did do an occasional girl friend free of charge.. that was about it.

Anyone with self respect, who's serious and wants better than an average set of nails will set out to get further education and pursue that goal.
After my L&P.. who knows.. I haven't thought that far ahead to the next course... But I do know that there WILL be one.

Do you know what?

Today I had to borrow £1000.00 from my mum. I have spent every single penny I had left for myself(after on going salon expenses) on my calgel training!!! lol.

I also sold half my wardrobe and clothes I loved on ebay to get some of the money for the first course I did - I also done a carboot and more ebaying for money towards my waxing course.

Every penny I have spent on training has been worked and saved for.

It's such a nice feeling to know you have accomplished something! Why not train and get that certificate to proudly display on your wall?

Thats what I think! :hug:

Just a quick thought nail geeks!
If you couldn't afford your training for your nail qualifications.... would you be prepared to work on the public regardless?
Would you use excuses such as: "I have NO TIME to train, or I have NO MONEY to train? So seeing as I'm Okay doing nails, what the heck? What I will do is just go on the geek site and rack the qualified geeks to get the help I need, when I need it!"
Just wondering how many of us are serious nail geeks and who are out there to make a buck but not willing to make the industry as GREAT one.

To be honest I think the only replies you will get to this thread are from the qualified techs that use this site, I can't imagine anyone is going to reply to this saying 'sure i've no insurance or qualifications, but I do nails, so what....' any one who uses this site and is serious about their job has training and insurance and does the job for love and personal pride not just for a quick buck. Maybe I have missed the question in this thread, but can't honestly see that you will get any replies to it other than from peeps that are already trained etc??

Hi

Lets just say that certain multiple regional nail bars (one of which I have worked for) offer little to no training whatsover to staff, nor do they insist on even basic NVQ qualifications. This is frightening considering the fact that the customers who choose to visit them do so based on the fact that they look outwardly respectable and charge exhorbident prices for their services. Their philosophy is to turn around customers within minute time frames and to generally penny pinch where possible. I myself am properly trained (CND qualified) and did not practice until I acquired the necessary skills. This growing number of cowboys have a lot to answer for:irked:

To be honest I think the only replies you will get to this thread are from the qualified techs that use this site, I can't imagine anyone is going to reply to this saying 'sure i've no insurance or qualifications, but I do nails, so what....' any one who uses this site and is serious about their job has training and insurance and does the job for love and personal pride not just for a quick buck. Maybe I have missed the question in this thread, but can't honestly see that you will get any replies to it other than from peeps that are already trained etc??

I dont think that what you are saying makes a scrap of difference ... who wants to hear from untrained persons?? Just hoping they will read this thread and maybe it will change their minds about working on the public without training or insurance.

!Just wondering how many of us are serious nail geeks and who are out there to make a buck but not willing to make the industry as GREAT one.[/quote]

But my point is this: The only replies to this thread will be from the trained professionals, as I'm guessing the cowboys would be to cowardly to reply:)

well hopefully the cowboys will see that training is the only way forward, particularly now the "Sheriff" EHO's seem to be taking client complaints more seriously. Also that the public are realising that shoddy workmanship is not acceptabe and they actually have a right to complain ... and even sue ... and since you can't get insurance without recognised training then it will be you that has to stump up the compensation. Is it really worth the risk?

So like Gigi says, maybe by reading threads like this it will encourage people to get on and be trained and take them and their clients seriously

But my point is this: The only replies to this thread will be from the trained professionals, as I'm guessing the cowboys would be to cowardly to reply:)

I think qualified and passionate techs will reply to this thread in support for what the whole issue is about.

I have wanted to do nails since been a teenibopper but hated school so thought i would hate college and never went so ended up doing allsorts of boring jobs but never even tried to do nails as i didnt have a clue as i had never been to a nail tech because ive allways had long nails, then one day not so long ago i was reading cosmopolitan mag and saw the ad for creative nail design training, rang them up and booked my foundation course and i loved every bit of the training but i wouldnt have dared to do nails without training and insurance, i just wish i had seen an advert for the academy years ago:hug:

well hopefully the cowboys will see that training is the only way forward, particularly now the "Sheriff" EHO's seem to be taking client complaints more seriously. Also that the public are realising that shoddy workmanship is not acceptabe and they actually have a right to complain ... and even sue ... and since you can't get insurance without recognised training then it will be you that has to stump up the compensation. Is it really worth the risk?

So like Gigi says, maybe by reading threads like this it will encourage people to get on and be trained and take them and their clients seriously

and if they STILL cant be bothered..maybe they will at least be too ashamed to ask for advice on here anymore..the unqualified questions always stand out
icon_wink.gif

I hope the local Councils get round to looking at mobile technicians too, not just nail salons.

So do I Cathie. I'm full time mobile and do things by the book with regards hygiene etc. but there must be plently of mobile techs who've done 1 course max and have set themselves up....... and I wish there was something official that could differentiate me. I offer salon quality nails in the clients own home - how many mobile techs from my Yellow Pages can honestly say that??

My training (like so many of us) is ongoing..... my next step is Spa Mani and Pedi then Pre-Masters.....

I, like others, have spent a lot of money and expended an enormous amount of energy in just getting my basic qualifications.

I AM PROUD OF MYSELF

There are many more people who have spent a small fortune on furthering their training and I applaud them. This site is for those of us who care enough and have pride enough to do the right thing.
The rest of you are irrelevant

Latest posts

Back