How insulting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£5.25 billion is what the hair industry was worth in 2006-that's not including beauty 6years on I'd think we can safely say its worth a fair but more-recession or not! What's stupid about being part of that?!

I wanted to do beauty at college when I left school but my parents wanted me to do a-levels so I went to 'proper' college...and guess what. I hated it and ended up doing only 5 hours a week and 1 a-level. I've now spent thousands on training and I'm running my own business, and I LOVE my job!

I absolutely hate it when people assume we're thick. If i get a client like that I always ramble on about chemical reactions and molecular complexes to shut them up! :D
Rhiannon x

Hairdressers are supposed to get more satisfaction from their job than anyone else...in any industry... Fact!! Im a beauty therapist and got very good gcse's at school and, like everyone else feel like ppl think im dumb or that my job should just be a hobby and not a full-time career. Its so annoying! But iv definitley found my path in life and I think there are endless possibilities in my career..if I want to stay a mobile beautician I will do or if I want to own and run my own salon I will do because I AM A BEAUTICIAN AND I AM CLEVER!!!! lol X

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

My reply would be your obviously not that intelligent to see how highly skilled and artistic us therapists and hair dressers are!! X

Hairdressers are supposed to get more satisfaction from their job than anyone else...in any industry... Fact!!

Did you know we are also in one of the industries that party the most? Apparantly its us and Nurses single handedly drinking the bars dry..... yup or maybe just me......

Well at the weekend I was stating with friends who made constant 'oh she's a hairdresser incase you didn't already know, AND she's blonde' *rolls eyes* like I'm sorry but you tr learning hair dressing and remembering the colours ect. My other friend who is also a hairdresser kept talking to eachother ('after our its so annoying your underestimated rant') in colours like yeah I used a 6.3 and 913 And bleach and talking in the clever terms and in the end even they had to admit they would 'never remember all the colours and terms'

Mwahaha lool x

Lol sorry I'm tired my post didn't really make sense haha! X

Alan Sugar said on the last series of The Apprentice if he wasn't doing what he is now he would invest in the beauty industry beacuse it is THAT good an industry.

Hate ignorant gits that don't know what they're talking about. I have a degree in Tourism Management and people say to me literally ALL the time 'So you will get me cheap holidays then??' :grr: Ehhhh NO because i am not a travel agent, i have a business degree!!!!!!

Rant over :hug: x

If it's any consolation, in the Navy which I am leaving I got it ALL the time from the Officers, being a junior rank. They spoke to you like you were a complete thicko who couldn't rub two peanuts together.
One spoke to my friend once in a derogatory way saying how 'the reason that he was an officer and she wasn't was because he did well at school and she didn't.'
Her reply, 'Well actually, I have 4 A Levels, SIR!!'
Apparently his face was a picture, mumbled something incoherent and scuttled off!
At least entering the beauty industry with this life experience I should be prepared for these little 'jokers'. Lol.

I'm going to mention another thread now, but it's not just outside the industry, many salon owners think that college educated hairdressers and therapists are useless, and won't employ them, is this the way we should be to "our own kind"? Or should we take them under our wing and try our best with them to gain their confidence in the "real world"? Xoxo

I'm going to mention another thread now, but it's not just outside the industry, many salon owners think that college educated hairdressers and therapists are useless, and won't employ them, is this the way we should be to "our own kind"? Or should we take them under our wing and try our best with them to gain their confidence in the "real world"? Xoxo

I have no experience in the hair industry whatsoever, and hats off to those of you that do!

Many a time have I been to a hairdressers and seen a Saturday girl have demands hurled at her and she's not had a clue what to do. Why? Because she's not been shown and when your 14 and finding your feet you don't have the guts to say 'Well how about show me then??'. I've seen this with a few beauty salons too.

Once I was having a toner put on my hair by the school girl in the salon in this case, hairdresser shouts over after a couple of minutes,
'leave that on for 4 minutes then wash it off'. Saturday girl says to me:- 'What do i do???', I say-
'4 mins in total, been on for 2 so wait another 2 then off'! I don't mind helping but it isn't my job to tell people how to do their job!

It infuriates me because i am a really confident girl now but i haven't always been and when i see a young girl (or boy if its the case) in this situation, wandering around not sure what to do or who to ask i feel like saying 'come on, this is how its done! And here's how to do it properly!'. ;)

I am all for taking people under our wings, to guide them- not for cheap labour!!

xx

*jumps onto high horse*
this is a disgrace i feel. there is such a snobbery in this country that deems certain jobs more desireable.
Well i just think in the countries current financial state, where people with degrees end up working in shops because they cant get a job that there degree is needed for, where teachers cant get a job, nurses are made redundant. . .where have these careers gotten them so far??
Vocational training, giving young people the skills to one day have a business and a trade that will see them through a lifetime if they work hard is the way forward.
For teachers and career advisors to snub hairdressing as a cop out for those who they feel are not too bright is in my opinion a disgrace.
But having said this, let me reword it in words us common hairdressers and beauty therapists will understand (you know cos we are so thick). . . *****

Last edited by a moderator:
It is annoying to be classed as not as intelligent as other people in different trades :(

at our daughters first parents evening in her ne school her teacher was skibg if.my.husband or I were aware how to help her correctly with.math and English.

Before we had chance to reply she rolled her eyes and said " probably not with you being beauty and your husband a mechanic"!!!

Her face was a picture when I corrected her and told her i was actually a qualified psychologist and my husband a retired engineer - I got into beauty through choice and passion not through the inability to control a brain cell!!!

Needless to say, she is lovely to us now and often asks us if.we would like to go in and hhelp the kids with their.work!! Xx

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

I too was told I was to good to do beauty by my school, I actually didn't do great at school, so what they were on about I have no idea, anyway my mum put them straight ha ha. I just think people don't understand the business.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

It is annoying to be classed as not as intelligent as other people in different trades :(

at our daughters first parents evening in her ne school her teacher was skibg if.my.husband or I were aware how to help her correctly with.math and English.

Before we had chance to reply she rolled her eyes and said " probably not with you being beauty and your husband a mechanic"!!!

Her face was a picture when I corrected her and told her i was actually a qualified psychologist and my husband a retired engineer - I got into beauty through choice and passion not through the inability to control a brain cell!!!

Needless to say, she is lovely to us now and often asks us if.we would like to go in and hhelp the kids with their.work!! Xx

Wow, what a STUPID teacher to say that. Classic reply and wish I had been there to see her expression!

It's absolute rubbish! I hate the brush we all get tarnished with. I have 11 GCSE's and 3 A levels, I chose to do those and I chose to do hairdressing. It is ridiculous to say anyone is too intelligent for hair and beauty, it is a brilliantly creative and worthwhile industry to be involved in. I have a successful business earning more than any of my further "educated" friends. While saying that people who don't have school qualifications are no worse off, common sense and experience are the driving force of today's society. Some of the stupidest people I have ever met have degrees. People's jobs and education are no reflection of their intelligent. God rant over. We should all be proud to be part of this industry.

@#%?*%^!$€¥ Pardon my French. I look forward to the day some snooty teacher has the guts to say this to me and my OH...x

This particular teacher is a very articulate and educated woman - she also teaches in a private school part time alongside our kids school. she pushes the kids which is great but she will rue the day that my daughter decides she also wants to go into beauty and she tells her she "can't" because she is too clever!!!

I knew from the instance we walked in that she was a snoot but I will not be spoken to like that by anyone I don't give a hoot how many degrees they have lmao xx

Usually people fall into one main catagory... whether it be academic, practical, creative or science... we have to do all of the above. How can someone who's thick be good at all of those?

x

Latest posts

Back