How long have you been in business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how long are you in business?

• 0-1 years

Votes: 105 29.0%
  • 1-5 years

Votes: 118 32.6%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • 10 + years

Votes: 76 21.0%

• Total voters
I've literally only been doing it a few months so doing okay. No clients yet but I'm only trained in Hollywood Toes and mani/pedi so once I have my SVQ in acrylic (L+P) extensions, I'm hoping to start gaining some clients.

Really enjoying it though!

If anyone has any tips on building and gaining clients then by all means, let me know! And as a side note, I have only lived in Glasgow a few months and have exhausted my very small friend list already!

:D

8 years for me, was a bit of a side line to balance out my sensible career in finance, had a beauty room at home & business was steady. Since having my son I took the plunge and am working for a salon and my private clients have dwindled :sad:, mainly because it's pretty hard to advertise me whilst with a company. Looking to get back into me as a nail tech/therapist but would have to be mobile, I'm a little nervous:Scared:
Any advice would be greatly received x

Qualfied for nails in June 2011 - left my call centre job that day to be self employed. Qualified for Beauty in June 2012 and I'm now basically earning what I was in the call centre job which was all I ever wanted. I now know its going to exceed that wage and that's great - more money to treat myself!

x

I started my business on 5th September 2011 ;) so pretty much 1 year!

I love it. My brand new home salon, my lovely clients, my freedom! Doing very well, never been so busy.

Xxx

Last edited:
I qualified in m&p 3 years ago and shellac/minx/acrylics 18 months ago. But my mobile business was set up in October 11.

So I have been in the industry 3 years so to speak but only actually self employed taking proper prices for ..wow 10 months just worked that out its nearly a year. Boy time flys.

I work part-time until my littlest child goes to school he's 2.5.

Loved reading this thread.

Qualified in 96, practised only very part time for friends and family until 4 1/2 years ago, after a career in nursing and IT.
Started distributing in January 2011 and both businesses are just growing and growing.

Been a hairdresser and beauty therapist 26 years. Bought my first salon 13 years ago. Now have 3 salons.

Ive been qualified for 4 years doing beauty and nails but worked in salons and i went mobile last month and struggling to get clients, my work is unique and it is my passion so i dont see why im struggling, im doing everything i can advertising wise and putting on too-good-to-miss offers but nothing seems to work.

My clients are very few and far between, i really want this to work but its not easy trying to survive on an unstable wage!

Hope things get better!

22 years and the industry just gets better and better!

I've been self employed for 10 years now and I love my job even more now than ever before.

I absolutely love this industry: it's constantly changing and that's what keeps it fresh and exciting!

I like to keep up to date with what's going on and never want to stop learning. My salon is busy and I still have to pinch myself some days... I get paid for doing something that I love! :Love:

i started working in a nail bar 15 years ago, then trained in Beauty 10 years ago, have been in and out the industry.

Started my home salon 9 months ago and im doing ok, could be busier but i do have a few regulars and alot of others that come when they are going out, think i have about 70 clients (not sure if that is good or bad).

Hairdressing for 31 years.

Self employed hairdressing 24 years, Colour Me Beautiful 7 years & nails 6 years

Very busy.Busy enough to choose the clients I want to do & dropped the ones that I didn't.

Some of my clients have been with me for 28 years now. They feel more like family than clients & I love them all.

Some that moved away travel back over 1 hour drive, get their hair & nails done then meet their old friends for lunch, then go home.

Adding nails to my business was a great move.

Also helped with RSI as I am not in the same position all the time.

LOVE IT ALL.xxxx

Last edited:
I started learning to do enhancements in September 2010, qualified in November then added to my initial training by learning to apply Minx, Shellac and L&p with CND. I went mobile in January 2011 but only charged to cover the cost of the products, put my prices up to be competitive with other tech's and salon's in the area in April 2011 and I've been booked up ever since!!! :p
I have three young sons aged 3, 5, and 8. I take them to school and nursery, work til 1pm, come home, walk the dog, empty the dishwasher, throw a load of washing in etc, go collect the kids. throw their tea at them and the dog and hubby, and go back out at 7pm to do more appointments!!!
Life is crazy but being busy is great. I tend to lack confidence so being busy doesn't allow me to worry too much as I don't have the time!

This path way supposed to be a way to bring a little bit of pocket money into the household but it has fast become a really good little business! :Love:

Just gone into my 2nd year and its unbelievably busy, nearly booked up for Christmas, not enough hours in the day xx :)

I qualified in March this year as a nail tech and work from home, I'm building.up a nice clientele and I'm kept as busy as I want to be. Same a izzidoll I could take on more work but I have a young family and enjoy spending quality time with them. Once they are a bit older ill take more and would like to rent a space in a salon part time.

Latest posts

Back