How many of you have a day job that isn't beauty?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I'm saliva sucking, filling fixing student dental nurse!

Would love to go to sea on the big warships:)

I work in the customer service department for a very popular cookwear company :) I do that 3 days a week and my mobile holistic and beauty business the other 3.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yep I'm saliva sucking, filling fixing student dental nurse!

Would love to go to sea on the big warships:)
Well I was on HMS Ocean for 3 and a half years and HMS Illustrious for a year and a half, so most of my career at sea was on big ships. They both have dental departments. Xx

I'm interested in finding out the reasons behind those with two jobs, with one being beauty.

Is it to make money from beauty on the side, because you feel it's an easy option? (not my words).

Is it to pay your bills, whilst you start your beauty career until you eventually go full time?

Is it for variety or life?

Is it a safety net that you are scared to give up incase you fail?

Did you start out in beauty and then had to get another job to help pay the bills?

With me, my job pays enough for me to work part time which has allowed me to spend the time and effort to cautiously break out to see if I can make a living. It allows me time for training, practicing as well as working on clients. It would feel silly not to try.

But one thing it is not, is just a sideline.

I work in childcare 3 days a week and 2 days a week I work in a salon. It really suits me well. I consider beauty therapy as my career. However, I earn 2x as much in childcare than I do in a salon (NMW).
So my main reason why I am not doing beauty full time - is money.
As much as I love my job and want to own a salon one day (still long long time to go) I need the money as well. I like to be able to afford holidays and me and my boyfriend are saving up on a house.
It's a huge shame that beauty pays so little (when working for someone), how unfair given the amount of time we need to study and practise.
It will be interesting to hear why others choose to do beauty part-time. Looking forward to the replies:lol:

Stay at home mum and I work 3 days a week in my own room in a hairdressers, but come July I am going full time.

We have 3 children and my husband has been a HGV class 1 driver for as long as we can remember. He's is away weeks at a time and can't remember any of the children's names lol!

He is going to be a full time dad and do a degree and I will bring home the bacon! That will teach him to moan that I have it easy! :D

I work in a travel agent full time. Trying to break out with nails and gradually cut my hours / days down.

Vicki xx

I do the exact same job I would love to give it up but I love it too much wat company do u work for x

I work in a garden centre. Qualified over a year ago hoping to get in to a salon or go mobile but having not long moved in to my own place with my boyfriend can't afford to leave my full time job for something that might not work out! Thought about going mobile on days off or nights but the kit is so expensive and I also share a car with my boyfriend so! I think iv accepted that I'm going to grow old in a job I hate! :( lol x

I qualified in December with NSI and love working with nails,but im really nervous about starting off alone.ive bein toying with the idea of getting my Class 1 HGV licence! :) xx

Hi, This is the case with me too, I am mobile therpist and I am not making enough alone, I am finding it very hard to find a part time job as I want to continue doing beauty.

Good luck :)

gosh it makes me so low reading some of these replies as I have left my office job in the corporate world after 7 years or so as I hated it so much that I felt my health was gonna go unless I left. Now I am re training in beauty full-time and paying a lot lot for the training (plus having no income while training). I really want to do beauty and holistic therapies I love it it is what I want to do. It makes me sad that it is so low paid! I am 31 yrs of age and I dont want to work for 7 an hour (not to offend anyone but it is too low in my opinion for all that has to be learnt etc). I am really hoping to get a job in beauty after I gualify (if it is 7 I suppose that would do as the first job to gain experience but how can I possibly live on that full-time? lol) and if I have to I suppose I will have to go to an office job for a few days a week but really wish that will not be the case........ Maybe that is naive of me to think that I could have it all but a girl can always be optimistic no? :) good luck to everyone! :hug:

I have just been thinking of this the other day! Just found out what i earnt last year and its so low considering how many long hours and 3/4 evenings i do a week! Im realy thinking about getting a part time job and doing less beauty. I love my job but if i want to buy a house i need to earn more.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I work full time in holistic therapies and training, I also offer community training and wellbeing days, etc, so I get a lot of variety.

One day i can be teaching all day, next I could be doing treatments.

:biggrin:

gosh it makes me so low reading some of these replies as I have left my office job in the corporate world after 7 years or so as I hated it so much that I felt my health was gonna go unless I left. Now I am re training in beauty full-time and paying a lot lot for the training (plus having no income while training). I really want to do beauty and holistic therapies I love it it is what I want to do. It makes me sad that it is so low paid! I am 31 yrs of age and I dont want to work for 7 an hour (not to offend anyone but it is too low in my opinion for all that has to be learnt etc). I am really hoping to get a job in beauty after I gualify (if it is 7 I suppose that would do as the first job to gain experience but how can I possibly live on that full-time? lol) and if I have to I suppose I will have to go to an office job for a few days a week but really wish that will not be the case........ Maybe that is naive of me to think that I could have it all but a girl can always be optimistic no? :) good luck to everyone! :hug:

There are a lot of us not working for that my darling. I have been full time for years now with a strong client base. If you conduct your business properly you too will build a profitable venture!:wink2:

i only do beauty at the moment but when i started up i worked in a shop just so i had a steady income at the beginning, but now i really want to cut my 6 days a week down to 5 so i can volunteer one day a week at an animal center, i'd like to work at the zoo with the monkeys or hippos but that obviously would never happen haha x

There are a lot of us not working for that my darling. I have been full time for years now with a strong client base. If you conduct your business properly you too will build a profitable venture!:wink2:

that sounds very very positive Thanks for posting!! x

that sounds very very positive Thanks for posting!! x

il back this up!! dont get me wrong i have struggled but this month im booked solid at weekends with wedding parties and got a good few sets of hair extensions/colours in and im only making marginally less than i would have been in my previous job which is great as i was on a GOOD wage..... :D im just getting up and running and its been up and down but as iv said before my heart is in a happy place now iv changed career and the bank isnt complaining this month either :D x

il back this up!! dont get me wrong i have struggled but this month im booked solid at weekends with wedding parties and got a good few sets of hair extensions/colours in and im only making marginally less than i would have been in my previous job which is great as i was on a GOOD wage..... :D im just getting up and running and its been up and down but as iv said before my heart is in a happy place now iv changed career and the bank isnt complaining this month either :D x

yay thats very encouraging! I suppose you just have to keep oin trying and working hard and the results will eventually follow :biggrin: x

I work in Translation, specifically automated translation. I used to run our European office. Before that I worked for a building society and had a variety of jobs from the age of 14.

When I first qualified in beauty I luckily found a job in a salon full time, after a couple of years I thought about going mobile. Built up a few clients in the evenings and on my days off. Finally left the salon and worked part time in a cafe and have gradually been reducing my hours whole my beauty work picks up. I'm finally taking the plunge into full time self employed end of July. It's scary giving up a guaranteed wage but now I'm so glad and proud of myself :) it's well worth the hard work

Latest posts

Back