How many people have a free website??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he's a pro website designer then he will probably be checking the underlying HTML syntax of the page (which you can see by doing a "view source").

Many of the template driven web sites are notorious for churning out "messy" HTML with syntax errors in, e.g. unmatched start and end tags, or that specify a particular DTD (document type declaration) but then include HTML elements or attributes in there that are not allowed in that DTD.

Fortunately most web browsers are pretty lenient to those sorts of errors though, so you should not have too much of a problem (even though it's a bit naughty from an accessibility and interopeability point of view).

Ironically, even if you have a website that has perfect HTML and CSS from a validation standpoint, it still might not look right on all browsers though, as some (most notably IE6) don't implement the standards properly, and you have to put workarounds in to make the site display properly.

It can be a bit of a "black art" if you ask me!
Posted via Mobile Device

WOAH!!!!

You can think you have a degree of intelligence until you read all that....and then it all flies out of the window :lol:

You amaze me Ruth...that's another language!!!
I want to be clever like that :lol:
No wonder my website was a blooper :irked:

WOAH!!!!

You can think you have a degree of intelligence until you read all that....and then it all flies out of the window :lol:

You amaze me Ruth...that's another language!!!
I want to be clever like that :lol:
No wonder my website was a blooper :irked:

LOL, the rabbit hole goes a lot deeper than that ;)

Wait till you start trying to dynamically generate your web pages, e.g. from content stored in a database.

That's where the fun *really* starts lol.

Although I guess that is what a lot of the template-driven sites will be doing behind the scenes.

Put a nice, user-friendly front end on it, so that people can easily author their web pages, and Bob's your uncle!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for all your replies! It was interesting reading through them all.

Ruth - "WOAH" - Ditto!!! lol I started to read that and my brain was getting a tad confused! :lol:

Cant remember who wrote it, but i clicked on your website, it was the Microsoft Office Live one, it looks really nice :)

Thanks again for everyones replies xx

I have a free site with Webs, and whilst I don't particularly like it I do get a lot of business from it. My problem is that I am a control freak with no concept of computer talk or how to set up a site. So the idea of handing it all over to someone else to do fills me with dread because I like to be able to change things as and when I want. (Midnight usually:lol:) So I keep looking around for an alternative to Webs but haven't found anything yet.:rolleyes:

I have a free site with Webs, and whilst I don't particularly like it I do get a lot of business from it. My problem is that I am a control freak with no concept of computer talk or how to set up a site. So the idea of handing it all over to someone else to do fills me with dread because I like to be able to change things as and when I want. (Midnight usually:lol:) So I keep looking around for an alternative to Webs but haven't found anything yet.:rolleyes:

What sort of stuff do you tend to want to change?

Is it limited to things like wording, prices, gallery images, etc, or do you like playing with things like colour scheme and fonts too?
Posted via Mobile Device

i have actually just spent the morning setting one up :) i used webs.com.. Glamour Nails - Homepage if you'd like a wee look, I think it looks alright in my opinon, i just dont have the funds at the moment to pay for one! x

What sort of stuff do you tend to want to change?

Is it limited to things like wording, prices, gallery images, etc, or do you like playing with things like colour scheme and fonts too?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mainly those kinds of thing, yes. They would certainly be the main things I would want to be able to control. Colour and font only changes when my mood does!!!!:smack:

Mainly those kinds of thing, yes. They would certainly be the main things I would want to be able to control. Colour and font only changes when my mood does!!!!:smack:

That works well with the idea of using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) for the "look and feel" of your site (e.g. colours, fonts, layouts, etc), whereas the actual content is just in plain old HTML.

That way, if you change the CSS to, say, change the font from Arial to Tahoma, and the text colour from black to purple, for example, then you only need to do it in one place, and it will take effect straight away across the entire web site.

Whereas I think the way freewebs does it is that the font and colour is associated with a given block of text, rather than being generic to all text in a stylesheet, so you'd have to change every single page if you wanted to change fonts and colours - so loads more hassle than just doing it all in one place.
Posted via Mobile Device

heres my website... theres an option to create your own right at the bottom

i went insane trying to find one that didnt need me to understand html garble GAH!

http://elegancenails.ezweb123.com/#

hope this helps

xx

Thats what I'm thinking....( need a scratching the chin smiley :lol: )

Do people get put off by the freesites.....?
Does a professional ad-free website induce more clients?

But if you don't have the funds then it's a catch 22 situation.

Sorry huni I forgot to check back on this thread.
I have had a handful of clients that told me the only reason the picked me over everyone else is because they preferred my website.
Maybe the free ones would work if you know what you are doing. You need to submit it to google and get ad words and i'm sure there's loads more to it but I haven't got a clue about these things.
If you do want one done then there is a lady called Ruth on here that has done loads of geeks sites on here and she has told me her prices and I was gobsmacked! At last someone that doesn't take the p with prices!
Have a word with her hun,she certainly knows what she is doing! xxx

Hi,
Have you tried btconnect, they only charge you £5.00 per month and that includes lots and lots of space, they give you templates to work from and you can update it whenever you want. I always put my offers on there. they can give you a free domain name, its worth checking out. Be careful of some sites as they can trap you in a contract that is hard to get out of! I have complete control over my website.
Hope this is of help

I use microsoft office live and they have no adverts. I am always working on mine to improve it and I live working on it. I have never had a problems and I got a free domain name for 2 years then £10.99 for 2 years after that. Google search Mobile Hairdressers in York and I should be at the top with a map.

For a more professional site I think it is better to avoid free sites as all the additional advertising can make a site look messy. IMHO.

I have been doing my own site now for the last 5 years and it has evolved over time however with my increasing clientelle and lack of time I enlisted verve design who are very resonable and do a great job to. Carl has done a lot of work for me and been 200% happy with everything that he has done.

Custom made sites dont have to be expensive and Carls costing ensures that he can reach the tightest budget. Check him out and see what he can do for you - you could be happily surprised.

hth :)

I just wanted to add after reading your post Tracy and other threads about websites Free V's Professional I contacted Carl from Verve design and he is in the process of finishing my new site, so excited :) I had a domain name already I just didnt know what to do with it, but now I can see the difference in having a professional one made, and it didnt cost as much as I thought, definitely worth looking into, strange thing is my clients have noticed already that my site looks more professional than it did before lol :)

hth
Sue xx

I just wanted to add after reading your post Tracy and other threads about websites Free V's Professional I contacted Carl from Verve design and he is in the process of finishing my new site, so excited :) I had a domain name already I just didnt know what to do with it, but now I can see the difference in having a professional one made, and it didnt cost as much as I thought, definitely worth looking into, strange thing is my clients have noticed already that my site looks more professional than it did before lol :)

hth
Sue xx

Carl is a genius - well done!

Carl is doing a site for me too and it looks absolutely beautiful! It looks easily a sqintillion times better than the dodgy old freewebs thing I had before and all of my clients love it. Even better Carl advised me on another prob I was having with ppl trying to sell me web optimising (he likened them to snake oil salesmen!) So many many many tumbs up to Carl! My web is www.lucysmobilebeauty.com if you want to have a look.

Lxxxxx

Can clients only find you by typing in the exact web address on a free site though or are there ways to make it come up on google if you type something in like make up, nails etc

Can clients only find you by typing in the exact web address on a free site though or are there ways to make it come up on google if you type something in like make up, nails etc

There is no reason why Google shouldn't index a "free" website as opposed to any other sort of website!

However the main disadvantage of a "free" website is usually that you don't get a proper dedicated domain name - e.g. you get mysalon.webs.com instead of mysalon.co.uk - and as there are lots of other sub-domains of webs.com, Google won't give it as much prominence as if it's your own dedicated domain name.

But Freewebs do offer a "paid" service where you can have your own domain name, so that could be worth investigating. I think that's fairly reasonably priced too from what I have heard as well...
Posted via Mobile Device

i have a free website also with webs.com

only made it recently and am thinking about upgrading to get better domain name and to be rid of the ads...

i like to think that the design is just as appealing as many websites people have paid to have made for them

have a look if you like: Eden Beauty & Wellbeing - Home

My website is still in progress, it cost around £5.00 per month from Vistaprint hth

www.naturel-spa.co.uk

:hug:

Latest posts

Back