How many techs wear masks? I'm getting worried

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky Macca

Reaction score
Hi all x

Just really wanted an idea as to how many of us actually wear a mask when we're working??!! I've been referred to Ear, Nose and Throat cause of my nose and I'm worried it is 100% work related. I don't wear one :o I know that wearing a mask is standard in some parts of the world - but here in Bonny Scotland I'm yet to see a tech working with one.

HELP !!

XX

Hi all x

Just really wanted an idea as to how many of us actually wear a mask when we're working??!! I've been referred to Ear, Nose and Throat cause of my nose and I'm worried it is 100% work related. I don't wear one :o I know that wearing a mask is standard in some parts of the world - but here in Bonny Scotland I'm yet to see a tech working with one.

HELP !!

XX

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr627.pdf

MIght be worth a read for you

xxxxx

I have several clients who ask about masks and my views on them.
During my Creative training we were told that tests have been done into the dangers of working within a salon with all the fumes and research showed the levels of danger were too low to worry about.
But, like anyhting, some are more prone to these things than others, so your nasal condition could me attributed to your work-whether 100% or whether it just triggered an underlying problem.
I think if there was anything serious to worry about, nasal and respiratory conditions would be affecting all us technicians and it would become mandatory to wear protective attire.
hth, and good luck at ENT.
x

Thanks Michelle x
ENT went fine - thankfully nothing to worry about. Have to say that on the way home I stopped off at my CND distributor and bought myself some lovely wee pink masks, so I'm good to go !! :) No point in worrying and not doing anything about it x

i do wear one, but only because i found out that i have some weird dust allergy...not a good thing in this line of work...lol

divanails
kristie

Hiya,

I wear one but only because I am asthmatic and worry about any dust being inhaled and making me wheezy.. I explain that to my customers too as they might think 'why would she wear a mask and i am not?'.. I always wear it and safety glasses also when using my e-file..

HTH xox

Hi

I found that when I practised filing at home my nose would becoime very itchy, stuffy and i would be sneezing constantly for a few days afterwards. So I bought my self the Fuminator from NSI Fuminator - Nail Systems International(UK)

Since I have been using this its improved my "allergy" and the fumes are significantly reduced. Its not terribly expensive and definately worth buying in my opinion, its transportable so if you can take it wherever you work. Plus if you do mobile work it has the added bonus of reducing fume odours in your clients homes. If you want to know the price either log onto nsinails.co.uk, phone 0500 131 009 (freephone) or pm me.

anne xx

Hi!

I dont wear a mask. If you are worried about the fumes and dust affecting you, try and do some reasearch on it...if you still feel uneasy about it, then wear a mask to put your mind at rest!

I would say to wear one if you need to and if you don't then ... don't!!

Obviously the smart thing to do would be to minimise the amount of dust you make by doing some of the following. These are easy things to do yourself and cost nothing. Develop good habits.

1. Use well-less tips or sculpt .. then there is no blending or filing

2. Make perfect nails with your brush and then there is only a need for minimal filing.

3. Use PopIts .. no need to file at all.

4. If you have to file, use oil first and there will be no dust in the air.

5. Keep dappen dishes covered when not in use to reduce vapours.

6. Do not wipe your brush on your table towel but only on a dedicated pad dampened with sanitiser.

7. Deposit all your old paper towels and pads in a metal pedal bin and empty frequently.

It is dust not VAPOURS that cause respiratory problems. We do not make FUMES in the nail salon.

Using the Correct terminology is important. You don't say the cologne you wear gives of fumes do you? It gives off vapours (particles carried in the air). Fumes are particles carried in smoke such as the exhaust from your car --- Unless you are smoking at your desk, it is vapour you are smelling.

Thanks everyone x

Spent my first day wearing my pink CND mask (that I customised with some diamantes the way!) hmm......hot and itchy but I'll persevere, hee :) Geeg, I didnt know that if I use oil first then file there would be no dust in the air - so I will do just that with my clients tomorrow

Thanks again ladies

Victoria
xxx

Latest posts

Back