How often do you do your own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
I am curious as to how oftern you do your own nails and how you keep them looking nice even tho you are working with polish remover etc.
I try and do mine every 2-3 weeks:rolleyes: and by the end I have filed and chipped away most of my index finger on the right hand and scratched my thumb on the left ( prop filing wrong)... they seem to just wear away and all my length is gone..:mad:

I don;t like wearing gloves. I do sometimes tape my fingers up with flex tape to stop it but it does not always work.:cry:

I do my nails about once every 2 weeks, I am no longer salon based (for now anyway!! Watch this space!! LOL) but when I was I used to use coloured acrylics, different coloured tips, etc occasionally a diamante here and there (depending on the season) and a gel top coat to protect them.

I attempted to wear enamels but I am to clumsy with my hands, the scrubfresh just ended up wiping bit off!!

I file the corner from my middle nail too on my right hand....and round off my thumb...again its cos of the way i file...

I re-do my nails every 2 weeks...i just sculpt the corners back on a rebalance as normal.

Sometimes i can get away with just buffing the topgloss off....and redoing it...this brightens them up again for another week.

I wish I had a nail tech close to me that would do a swap with me...
It took me 2 and 1/2 hours to do my nails that othe night.. I ended up doing an animal print ( see my album if you want) and I am still not happy with them.. I am fussy but honestly I am over it.... but i know that it is important to keep them looking nice at all times...maybe i should stick to the coloured acrylic so that the products dont effect it.

I do my nails every week.

I don't ruin them with remover or anything, I just have a design on them and can't stand to see any growth at the cuticle! My nail OCD!

And I find it relaxing!

Kathleen

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to do mine every 3-4 weeks, unless i get really bored of them before then!! lol

i tend to do a different design every time, keeps me happy and the clients love to see something different, it shows your skill and creative flair, and there is always a couple of clients who will ask for what i am wearing, so it is extra revenue ...

I used to rebalance every 2 and a half weeks, or if i was short of time like angie, id buff off my topgloss and thinly apply again to last another week.

But im back to my natural nails for a while. I buffed my gels off a few weeks ago. I now have long, strong natural nails so ive been re painting them every week and keeping them well oiled!

Mine get done every 2 weeks usually, unless I get bored then I file off the top gloss and pattern, and start again..and always plenty of solar oil of course ..x

every week or every 2 week if I love the design, or lack of time.

I never file my nails, but it happens that I touch my pinky nail with my brush when I work which can annoy me because if I think about it it doesn't happen.

I think wearing long nails forces you to find ways not to be too... adventurous with your file, or with whatever you do. so I never ruin them.

At the moment I havent got time to re-balance my nails every 2 weeks, so for now I am wearing the new shades from CND, Ive got Clearly Pink on my nails right now, its fab, such a nice natural colour and it makes my natural nail bed colour look so healthy!
Ive also got it on my toes over Retro White as an understated french!

I dont like doing my own nails, so I dont do them as often as I should. I tend to mostly have natural nails.
However, when you tell people you 'do' nails, the automatic reaction is for them to look at yours.
So I am sporting a french natural overlay at present. I wear gloves for all my waxing and some other beauty treatments, just not to ruin them...

I do every two weeks. I had a problem with design coming off my natural nails when using polish remover and filing corners off as well. I have coloured acrylics now, which is fine. However, it still takes awful lot of time to do and maintain them. I will remove them in September as I am starting NVQ2 Beauty Teraphy... Will really miss them.

I go through phases with doing my own nails
I don't do them as often as I probably should at the moment,
but saying that, with the kids off I have been doing more "rush round cleaning" and lots of DIY etc....so probably best that I keep them natural for now.

I used to redo mine sooo often it was unhealthy lol, (bit obsessive)

I usually since before christmas do them, keep them on for maybe 3 weeks, then removed them and go au naturale for 3 or 4 weeks...and repeat...

My main problem is I can never decide what to do on them,
And the thought of trying to do something intricate and having the kids interupt every 20 minutes puts me off at the moment lol...
I think the day they go back, I will keep that day free and pamper myself all day long, in peace and quiet lol.

I do think keeping your own nails looking perfect is fantastic for business as clients do tend to want what you have, or you are likely to have your nails spotted when you are out and about.
Leading to increased profit (if you can convert to a custom colour, or glitter etc) and increased client base...

I do my nails every 2-3 weeks... I did a fresh set this afternoon, 2 colour blue fade, looking fab :D

I try to be good about keeping my nails nice as it's good advertising. If I'm wearing my nails natural I can't wear polish because of the other beauty treatment I do - they would be ruined by lunchtime.

I go through stages with my nails, I've had them natural for a few months, but I recently cut them off and put acrylics on because I do get a lot of business from people seeing and commenting on my nails. The only problem is because it still takes me forever to do a full set, I don't get them all finished at one time.
When I do my first hand I think I want to wear nice natural looking pink & whites, but when I get around to the other hand a few days later I want something bright and crazy, so I never have a full set of the same nails.

This is good for advertising though, people have to comment on my nails because they are different and eye-catching, but they can also see that I can do natural looking nails that they would want to wear themselves.

Hi Ange,
I am like you.. I seem to get a set done and then i am sick of them by luch time!!..
I don;t know how peep's have french time and time and time again.. I have a few clients that have never had anything different... So i try and do weird things to my nails and they all comment that they look Fab... but they could never have them...
I did a leopard print on my nails on thur... 5 days later and i am ready for a change... I have had 3 people comment on them today.... 2 of them men!!!

I'm doing my nails almost every 10 days or so. I seem to have 'quick growers' !
I've found that Popits are great, quick & easy to use on myself and as soon as they start to grow up, I file them down and do something else on them as I get fed up with the style quickly too.
I like my nails oval shaped, but my thumbs squoval for texting :smack:
Is that just a 'me' thing ???????????

I'm doing my nails almost every 10 days or so. I seem to have 'quick growers' !
I've found that Popits are great, quick & easy to use on myself and as soon as they start to grow up, I file them down and do something else on them as I get fed up with the style quickly too.
I like my nails oval shaped, but my thumbs squoval for texting :smack:
Is that just a 'me' thing ???????????

Mine are the opposite at the moment. Squovals on my fingers and square on my thumbs. I'm loving squovals at the moment, but they don't suit my wide thumbs.

I was wearing stilletos for ages. I still love them, but my massage clients don't share my love for them.

Hi Ange,
I am like you.. I seem to get a set done and then i am sick of them by luch time!!..
I don;t know how peep's have french time and time and time again.. I have a few clients that have never had anything different... So i try and do weird things to my nails and they all comment that they look Fab... but they could never have them...
I did a leopard print on my nails on thur... 5 days later and i am ready for a change... I have had 3 people comment on them today.... 2 of them men!!!

It's great for advertising though isn't it when people see something they aren't used to. They have to make a comment about them. Then you can let them know about your business and they usually want a card.

I used to absolutely dread doing mine and leave them as long as pos,,then i discovered poppits :D then i became shocking and changed them constantly. After about five weeks of not being able to handle the smell of monomer i put a fresh set on yesterday,i used a natural tip with a cb in all 3 zones and minimal fe,i have to say the look lovely,you can't tell they have been enhanced i look like i have lovely longs beds but short neat nails with a healthy bed :D very pleased lol iykwim lol

Latest posts

Back