How to deal with awkward spray tan customers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missymish

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am just after a little advice. Sorry for a long winded story but here it is.

I had a girl call me wanting the rapid tan, I did it for her and because of her skin type I advised her to leave it for 3-4 hours, she said oh as long as that, I explained that if she took it off before that I personally didn't think it would be dark enough for her. What happens I text her the next day and it wasnt dark enough, instead of investigating the problem I just said I am so sorry I will give you a £5 discount next time.

So she rebooked, I asked her about the last time and surprise surprise she had only left the rapid on for 2 hours :( so it was nothing to do with me but I still decided to give the £5 discount.

We went on to do a 12% organics, because she was going out for her birthday 5 days later I sprayed once and did a light respray again just to make sure it was dark enough for her birthday.

Next day comes she calls up with a few complaints which we got to bottom of I made sure I offered no discount as I hadnt done anything wrong. One of the complaints was orange fingertips, but straight after the spray she had started fiddling about the with disposable headband before I could say stop she had literally rolled the headband in her hand with all the tan on it!

Just sprayed her again last night, she said could we not go as dark as last time, so I said yes thats fine but still decided to go with the organics 12% but did one coat, what happens, this morning she texts and says it is too light :eek: I used 50ml of solution and she is quite small so that was more than enough!

I am just so fed up, no matter what I do its like she isnt happy and it is really knocking my confidence. I havent had this with anyone else. Has anyone got any advice how to deal with this kind of customer. It is getting to the point that I am nervous to go round there!!

Personally I would stop spraying her and advise her maybe she needs to try another product. Losing her as a customer would probably be more benefical in the long run as she'll be moaning to her friends etc and that would put them off the tan too. Sometimes in business we just need to cut our losses.

Don't let it knock your confidence.

You are obviously doing something right or she wouldn't keep coming back to you!

I think she must value you as a therapist but is just very picky.

Perhaps when she next comes back go through everything thoroughly with her first so she know what SHE is required to do to ensure the perfect tan (after all, it's not just down to you, she has to follow your advice too).

Then say to her that if it isn't right this time, then perhaps spray tanning isn't for her. Sounds like she is a total headache so if you've tried your best and she's still not happy you'll be well rid of her.

Unless you are desperate for customers and business is slow, dump her. It sounds like she's always going to cause problems so let her create a headache for someone else.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I did think of just letting go of her as a customer as it seems in the area she used to live in she had spray tans there but the more she tells me I think she gave the other therapist grief too.

It doesnt help that she is an ex sunbed user and I think she is looking for that same effect which you arent going to get.

I think I will try once more with her and if it doesnt work out then say maybe the product I am using isnt for her, I am not going to change my product for one customer!

Thanks everyone :hug:

I have had one or two that you just cant please and you cant have loads of different tans for everyone. I certainly wouldnt give her any more discounts, and if you cant please her next time, just politely say you think this tan isnt suitable for her and let her go.

Somtimes clients like this are more hassle than they are worth:lol:

Latest posts

Back