How to handle this!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't do much mobile now I get them to come to me cause of baby but Ive heard that u can put your products on plasters and post them to be worn? Xx

Don't think you'd be covered with insurance

If its a new client then I arrange the patch test when I'm in that area. If I can't get it done then well I just have to go out of my way to do it. It's so important. If I have a regular client who started out with other treatments then I ask if I can patch test them anyway in case they decide to go with tinting for holidays or occasions etc and keep it on file. I do new patch tests every 6 months.

Vicki
Aphrodite Style•Beauty•Hair

Reactions: TPB
Patch test every new client for future treatments so if client books for nails patch test them

Are you insured? Check with them but most policy's are follow manufacturers instructions so check your products leaflet

Yea I am but I'm on hols ATM so can't check it, so say if someone books for nails and a tint and wax, I can do their nails but re book for a wax and tint? Problem is I won't travel unless treatments are £15 or more.

Ok some harsh comments. I wasn't stating ethics or anything I wasn't sure that it was called nss around me it's mma I didn't know the term was nss. Anyways to move on how would I do patch tests if I'm mobile it would cost more to travel to them and travel back to them the next day. Or do I do a patch test while they are having their nails done or something? I'm confused on the process as I'm mobile so it already involves traveling etc. I'm happy to make sure I patch test but how do I go about it without traveling back and forth?

Hi,
I work mobile, (and home based) ... There is no way around patch testing - if you are required to do it esp tinting ...
I usually book ppl in for the next week which gives me a week to work it into my diary so If I'm close to where the apt is, otherwise I do make the trip to patch test ... Unfortunately no way round it ...
... I understand the time / fuel costs but these should be worked into your treatment costs overall ...
** I'd rather patch test than be hit by a pmt my insurance won't cover as I didn't patch test **

Just a quick thought - have a look up on reactions to tints on the Internet or on here you may rethink the whole patch test thing ...!!!
Hope this helps,

Hi,
I work mobile, (and home based) ... There is no way around patch testing - if you are required to do it esp tinting ...
I usually book ppl in for the next week which gives me a week to work it into my diary so If I'm close to where the apt is, otherwise I do make the trip to patch test ... Unfortunately no way round it ...
... I understand the time / fuel costs but these should be worked into your treatment costs overall ...
** I'd rather patch test than be hit by a pmt my insurance won't cover as I didn't patch test **

Just a quick thought - have a look up on reactions to tints on the Internet or on here you may rethink the whole patch test thing ...!!!
Hope this helps,

I'm happy to patch test, I just thought if they signed a agreement it's ok. I had spmu and agreed not to be patch tested. And I know a lot of salons around my area don't patch test!

I'm happy to patch test, I just thought if they signed a agreement it's ok. I had spmu and agreed not to be patch tested. And I know a lot of salons around my area don't patch test!

Just because they don't patch test doesnt mean you don't either. You chose to be mobile so then you have to work with what comes with it, eg travelling for patch tests

Yea I am but I'm on hols ATM so can't check it, so say if someone books for nails and a tint and wax, I can do their nails but re book for a wax and tint? Problem is I won't travel unless treatments are £15 or more.

Yes or go 48hrs prior to appointment and patch test
It's easier than it sounds just get into the habit to patch test every client on first visit regardless of what treatment they are having

In regards to travelling under £15
If they had nails, waxing and tinting that would be over £15 albeit in maybe split appointments due to patch testing but surely you could accommodate for this

I'm hair and we can buy colour start patch tests do know if beauty can use them but may be worth checking out

Do things by the book to protect your business and don't think what other salons arnt doing! They could loose it for being negligent

I am mobile but with hair, I am booked to do a new client tonight, she wanted a cut and blow dry with a full head tint, I've told her I will come tonight to do the cut and blow and patch test and colour consultation, then providing everything's ok patch test wise I will book the tint in for next week, she lives quite a way from me but I put extra into my travel expenses for this very reason, if you were to be taken to court for not patch testing it would cost you a lot more than an extra few quid for petrol.

Ok some harsh comments. I wasn't stating ethics or anything I wasn't sure that it was called nss around me it's mma I didn't know the term was nss. Anyways to move on how would I do patch tests if I'm mobile it would cost more to travel to them and travel back to them the next day. Or do I do a patch test while they are having their nails done or something? I'm confused on the process as I'm mobile so it already involves traveling etc. I'm happy to make sure I patch test but how do I go about it without traveling back and forth?

Running a business, mobile or not needs all costs factored in. If you are mobile you HAVE to make a plan. If it costs you more then it costs the client more! I know it is difficult but there really is no way around it. Without a patch test your insurance will not cover you, unless the products you use state that no patch test is required. Either change your products or change you mindset.

Being mobile is not an excuse to play with peoples health and wellbeing, have you seen the nightmare stories on here where patch tests were done and the terrible results that could have happened if a test had not been carried out???? Oh no I forgot, you don't use the search option. It might pay for you to log on to your lap top or PC and do a search.

There is no need for you to become defensive when Geeks are pointing out a very big flaw in the way you are conducting your beauty business.

Running a business, mobile or not needs all costs factored in. If you are mobile you HAVE to make a plan. If it costs you more then it costs the client more! I know it is difficult but there really is no way around it. Without a patch test your insurance will not cover you, unless the products you use state that no patch test is required. Either change your products or change you mindset.

Being mobile is not an excuse to play with peoples health and wellbeing, have you seen the nightmare stories on here where patch tests were done and the terrible results that could have happened if a test had not been carried out???? Oh no I forgot, you don't use the search option. It might pay for you to log on to your lap top or PC and do a search.

There is no need for you to become defensive when Geeks are pointing out a very big flaw in the way you are conducting your beauty business.

Woah now. I was hardly becomin defensive I'm asking for advice and everyone jumped and kept saying. I said I'm happy enough to do the tests haha. Obviously I'm asking for advice hence why I was confused on the whole testing ive only just started in June and obviously need to make sure I'm doing it by the books. I can't search I'm on holidays using a mobile!!!! Be best to ask when I get back or ill just "search" for an answer next time on a laptop! Not a problem it was bothering me on my holidays hence the quick question. But no worries sorry for you going outta your own way and felt like u needed to answer . :/

Wow this poor girl. She has come to us for help and some of you have done nothing but crap on her and made her feel bad. There is a good way and a bad way of encouraging people. Yes the patch test should of been done but instead of jumping down her throat we could of Kindly advised her to protect herself and her client. Come on girls lets build each other up and not pull one another apart.

Attachments

• 1006010_10151551242117215_1081947632_n.jpg
    1006010_10151551242117215_1081947632_n.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 264
To help put your mind at rest and so you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.....

What reaction is she saying she got from the tint? Is she even complaining about that in any case?
I don't know anything about tinting, so can't comment on this...

If the nails came off straight away and before you left, she really should have contacted you sooner.

She knows you are away, but get her to take a photo of the nails now, so at least you can see the condition of them. If these acrylics were picked off, you will be able to tell, because the natural nails will look awful, peeling and probably red and sore.

If you are that busy, you must be doing something right.
Look at the nails and take a view on it. If you are not sure and want to keep her custom, you might want to offer her a new free set when you get back?

I hope it resolves itself OK for you

regards
Gina

Wow this poor girl. She has come to us for help and some of you have done nothing but crap on her and made her feel bad. There is a good way and a bad way of encouraging people. Yes the patch test should of been done but instead of jumping down her throat we could of Kindly advised her to protect herself and her client. Come on girls lets build each other up and not pull one another apart.

Thank you xxx

To help put your mind at rest and so you can enjoy the rest of your holiday.....

What reaction is she saying she got from the tint? Is she even complaining about that in any case?
I don't know anything about tinting, so can't comment on this...

If the nails came off straight away and before you left, she really should have contacted you sooner.

She knows you are away, but get her to take a photo of the nails now, so at least you can see the condition of them. If these acrylics were picked off, you will be able to tell, because the natural nails will look awful, peeling and probably red and sore.

If you are that busy, you must be doing something right.
Look at the nails and take a view on it. If you are not sure and want to keep her custom, you might want to offer her a new free set when you get back?

I hope it resolves itself OK for you

regards
Gina

She hadn't really complained she said she had a reaction and that was it. She didn't say no more about it, she seemed more annoyed that her nails had come off more than the reaction. I do think she's lying, I can ask for photos but I'm worried she would kick up a fuss for me asking. I am a little upset with everyone's comments, i understand how important it is but I am new to the industry hence why I asked now rather than 4 years down the line. It has rang bells for me about the tint and that is why I then asked. But thank you to those who have been nice and commented and helped. And yep I am busy and have a load booked in, they do like my work and the quality I bring.x

Aww so many nasty comments :( ok, patch testing should have been done, but at least she's accepting help and advice. No need to jump down her throat is there, I thought we were all meant to help each other and maybe even encourage each other. Give the girl a break :) xxx

Seriously everyone... She has asked for advice and has got it! What is with the harshness? Perhaps this thread should be closed now since I'm fairly sure she's gotten the point that patch testing is necessary. She has in no way been defensive and has taken every bit of advice you've offered. Wow.

We were all new to the industry once! Lets remember that since we've all made mistakes too.

Last edited:
She hadn't really complained she said she had a reaction and that was it. She didn't say no more about it, she seemed more annoyed that her nails had come off more than the reaction. I do think she's lying, I can ask for photos but I'm worried she would kick up a fuss for me asking. I am a little upset with everyone's comments, i understand how important it is but I am new to the industry hence why I asked now rather than 4 years down the line. It has rang bells for me about the tint and that is why I then asked. But thank you to those who have been nice and commented and helped. And yep I am busy and have a load booked in, they do like my work and the quality I bring.x

Dont worry about her kicking up a fuss about asking for a picture. How can you resolve the problem if you cannot see it. Im sure when you get back of holiday all of them would of popped off and she will request a new set.

Advise that you need to see the nails before any refund/new nails is given. Although I would never refund. You will be able to tell if the nails have had help coming off so you do really need to see them before you decide your next step.

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Bless you for worrying about it while on holiday.

If she has not sent you any photos to show the nail coming off or the reaction to the tiny then don't worry your self. If a client was upset that a nail had come off or they had a reaction to tint then I'm sure she would have got in touch sooner and there would have been a big song and dance about it all.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday :) xx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back