How to impress American clients ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzy_dizzy

Reaction score
Ok , im about to leave for germany in a few weeks, we have decided as I will be starting from scratch (no pun) that im going to need to re invent a few parts of my services / price list ect but im planning to hevaly promote shellac as ive noticed a lovely niech there with the millitery personel as there uniform dress code dose state no enhancements but yes to polish only if its perfect no chips smudge ect....... (Shellac can sooooo do this!)
I also want to apeal to the other wifes and high schoolers ,
so im going to have a pamper party kind of thing !
im thinking:
invite X amount of people
gift bags with minis / gift certs / price list ect
bubbly
raffle ticket
and on the night the prizes being 1 shellac mani with hand scrub (scrub is the for the wow its still perfect factor)
and one shellac pedi with foot scrub,
both treatments to be done on the night so the others can see ect
what do you all think ? will this work?
I know american ladys can be alot more ?... excited? than us , lol
eg ; find out we are moving american mother in law screems down the phone for 10 minits straght! and bursts into tears
my mum (english) finds out we are moving and says "oh good " lol
so basicly im aware my lovly american friends will be a whole other client type .....

so what do I need to expect?
and can you think of anything else to add to the party ? (its still early stages as only thought of it today lol)

you do realize not all americans are like your mother in law right?

Ummmmmmmmm
I must be missing the boat or not understanding.
Yes, perhaps Americans and Canadians are 'louder' in some ways, more expressive.
But whatever promos and such would 'excite' a UK clientel are bound to exite those across the pond.

Not so much a "whole other client type". Simply more expressive and communicative.. I think? IMO?

I mean, other than cultural differences such as "removing shoes or not removing shoes", whilst on these forums, I haven't noted any "other client types" different from those we have on here.
You'll have the same, just some cultural differences.
Am I making any sense?

Some will prefer wine and cheese, other's pastries and coffee, and yet others prefer beer and chips.
Be it there, or over here, or over yonder... the types remain the same :hug:

you do realize not all americans are like your mother in law right?
LOL yes of corse I know this ... I also know most of the spouses and lady airmen my other half works with.... so I know what reserved little old me is up agenst lol

Mrs Owen good thinking I will go over and have a look through . X

Ummmmmmmmm
I must be missing the boat or not understanding.
Yes, perhaps Americans and Canadians are 'louder' in some ways, more expressive.
But whatever promos and such would 'excite' a UK clientel are bound to exite those across the pond.

Not so much a "whole other client type". Simply more expressive and communicative.. I think? IMO?

I mean, other than cultural differences such as "removing shoes or not removing shoes", whilst on these forums, I haven't noted any "other client types" different from those we have on here.
You'll have the same, just some cultural differences.
Am I making any sense?

Some will prefer wine and cheese, other's pastries and coffee, and yet others prefer beer and chips.
Be it there, or over here, or over yonder... the types remain the same :hug:
The house is totaly wood floored so they can keep there shoes LOL
i guess excite wasnt the word I was looking for, and I know that americans are not a whole other race lol my dyslexia leaves me not making scence then forgive me,
but most of my familly is american so I know that when an american can show how they like something us in the uk dont tend to so much ,
maybe it was a rubbish example? hears another; this summer every day on base random american ladys who I didnt know kept pulling me aside to tell me they loved my tattoo , my hair , my nails , my accent lol
in the UK its VERY rear for one person to give another a complement, even more rare when it is strangers,

we are more reserved , I dont know why we just are lol

thats what im getting at ,

I don't think that you will find the American clients any different from us lot here really. Your work is great and you will impress them as much as you do us!

Be yourself and have fun and everything else will fall into place! :green:

I have nothing really to contribute but this made me laugh a ton!

You will find a lot of cultural differences but the main thing is to remember that you are also different for them so they will delight in your Englishness, especially as you are in Germany so you are all away from home.

Keep in mind American Holiday days such as July 4th, Thankgiving etc as women away will still celebrate these events in their own way and so you can make sure to have something new or exciting to offer at these times. Also showing you are remembering such dates makes them feel you have gone the extra mile.

Also, tipping is part of their culture rather than just a nice thing to do sometimes so that may provide a nice little bonus of working with them.

Oh and if providing coffee, instant will NOT be acceptable. I see the look of disgust in all my American friends including my fella when they visit my house lol

On the same note, my personal plea to any Americans serving Brits abroad in their salons, no orange pekoe tea pleeeasssee :)

Skymark ,
:hug: thankyou so much for your reply it was helpfully I didn't even consider American holidays but your right !
shame I wont be there for thanks giving (i remember that one its our anniversary)
but what you said reminded me I remember in Chicago was that from Halloween right through to new year there was decorations ect ... and I don't just mean the shops!
it was Halloween stuff that turned into thanks giving harvest like decorations and then very early (by UK standards) Christmas trees !

the coffee is definitely another good pointer ! and I would have totally over looked it ,

I was starting to regret starting this thread , but I have had a few grate answers thank you :) I was starting to dout my self ...but there are differences ! and I was asking as this is a pro forum I am moving and going to be re starting my client base from the start with compared to the isle of wight a whole different type of client!

it was a genuine question not designed to make any one laugh.

Skymark ,
:hug: thankyou so much for your reply it was helpfully I didn't even consider American holidays but your right !
shame I wont be there for thanks giving (i remember that one its our anniversary)
but what you said reminded me I remember in Chicago was that from Halloween right through to new year there was decorations ect ... and I don't just mean the shops!
it was Halloween stuff that turned into thanks giving harvest like decorations and then very early (by UK standards) Christmas trees !

the coffee is definitely another good pointer ! and I would have totally over looked it ,

I was starting to regret starting this thread , but I have had a few grate answers thank you :) I was starting to dout my self ...but there are differences ! and I was asking as this is a pro forum I am moving and going to be re starting my client base from the start with compared to the isle of wight a whole different type of client!

it was a genuine question not designed to make any one laugh.

Hi Mizzy

Im glad it helped a bit and I know where you are coming from. I know that in the main all people are the same as far as what they want from service, but there are small cultural differences.

I would also make sure with it being a forces base to make sure any regular client that has brought good business leaving to go back to the states get a small something like a little solar oil and a file as a leaving present as well as a few cards to hold onto. Back in the States at some point they will run into more wives headed for that base. When you travel a lot as I tend to do, you do tend to keep a stack of cards for different services (restaurants, taxi service etc) from the different places you may return to.

You have the most wonderful nail art collection and make sure you have pictures of these available for people to see and dont be afraid to mention your nail art competition wins.

You have a super opportunity and you absolutely deserve it. Just think of all those Shellac addicts that dont know they will be addicts yet :d

Last edited:
Hi Mizzy Dizzy, when I first read your thread last night, I felt a tad offended by I know american ladys can be alot more ?... and a whole other client type .....but, I think your heart is in the right place. When it comes to beauty, I think we are all basically the same.

Best of luck to you! :hug:

Its not the treatments them selfs that im worried about , im just trying to get ideas as american ladys are a diffrent client type compared to the conservitive isle of wight client type!

if I was moving from here to london (across the water and about 80 miles) id still be asking the same question as there ARE diffrent prodoment client types!.

here in this sleepy holiday town there are next to no office workers , or high class high speed types , there is a very layed back beach loving holiday type in the summer and a small local type of client in the winter,

where as if I was going to london most clients would be a diffrent client type I know i grew up there! and difrent things would make them happy , im not talking about the treetments as such im talking more about the little extras im someone who dose like to go the extra mile for my clients and as I will be starting agen with a whole other client type as there wont be holiday beach clients germony as its land locked ,

so I was just asking opinions , ............ and ive spent most of the time on this thread wishing I hadnt asked and defending my resons for asking,

ive givent REP points to the lovley ones who have given me very helpfull answers such things as
coffee
holidays
gifts ect

im sad as of the way this thread has gone I honestly just wanted some nice tips ,
I Give up though as it seems almost everything I say at the mo gets jumped on.......

please no one else bother to post on this thred, I dont ask many questions most of thetime I come on here and HELP others if i can , but I ask something and just get this! so maybe I will just guess things for my self from now on!

Don't doubt yourself honey, they are generally a different type of client in North America and I speak as a Scot owning a spa in the USA so am talking from experience.

In my own experience North Americans seem to be much more enthuasiastic generally but on the other flip of the coin are not afraid to tell you when not happy and I don't have any problem with any of it and love working with most of our clients.

Actually come to think of it on a personal level; my North Americans friends are different from my UK friends, and breaking down further North America, my US friends are different to my Canadain friends but that is just the way it is, we are all different in some way.

My accent gets me by so much for some crazy reason I hear it all the time oh we love you accent which I think is really funny coming from someone with a New Jersey accent or Southern drawl! So this will be a natural conversation for you when you first meet your new clients. You are also right about the I love your hair, jumper, shoes handbag routine.

Recently, I had one huge African American guy come up to me in a restaurant, tower above our table and say to me please can you come over to our table and speak with my wife, I heard you talk at the buffet and I loved it and she wants to hear you, was a bit embarassing, but off I trotted and she was Oh my gooness that sounds so cute......more blushes as everyone is looking round but then I brass necked it and said btw here is my business card if you want to come into the spa and hear some more!

Whereabouts in Germany as you setting up, is it Ramstein or further south? I have experience of it all; North American clients and friends, living on a US airbase in Germany, living and working in Germany for years before I went Stateside etc. etc. so if you have any more burning questions let me know!

Last edited:
Hi Mizzy Dizzy, when I first read your thread last night, I felt a tad offended by I know american ladys can be alot more ?... and a whole other client type .....but, I think your heart is in the right place. When it comes to beauty, I think we are all basically the same.

Best of luck to you! :hug:

ditto! I think I missunderstood as well.
But I also think, like Dean, that your heart was in the right place
:hug:

You have some great info posted above.
hope it helps.:green:

I just want to add that I (being American) took no offense and understand exactly where you are coming from! And my suggestion is that since you are going to be catering to American Service Women/Wives that your party plan is great (we love those "hands on" parties like Stamping, Pampered Chef, Simply Tasteful, etc.) So, to that end--I would suggest that you try to make the party kinda hands on like having tables set up so that you can teach the proper methods to apply polish or give one's self a proper home manicure. Between the hands on aspect, shopping aspect(product), contest (raffle), champagne and hors deurves--your party will be a success! Us "neighborhood housewives" love to get together and turn these small events into a regular occurence! And having spent quite a bit of time with my Irish relatives (that really seem to be more Welsh) I can appreciate differences you mentioned.

this summer every day on base random american ladys who I didnt know kept pulling me aside to tell me they loved my tattoo , my hair , my nails , my accent lol
in the UK its VERY rear for one person to give another a complement, even more rare when it is strangers,

we are more reserved , I dont know why we just are lol

thats what im getting at ,

I don't think it is rare for English people to say nice things to each other or that you need to impress American citizens more. Although I do think that it is easier to spark up a conversation with a stranger up north than it is in London. I used to get strange looks for talking to people or asking directions when I lived there if it was a stranger. Every client is important though no matter where they are from, even the wierd ones!

I'm sure you'll do fine!!

Its not the treatments them selfs that im worried about , im just trying to get ideas as american ladys are a diffrent client type compared to the conservitive isle of wight client type!

so I was just asking opinions , ............ and ive spent most of the time on this thread wishing I hadnt asked and defending my resons for asking,
im sad as of the way this thread has gone I honestly just wanted some nice tips , I Give up though as it seems almost everything I say at the mo gets jumped on.......

please no one else bother to post on this thred, I dont ask many questions most of thetime I come on here and HELP others if i can , but I ask something and just get this! so maybe I will just guess things for my self from now on!

That's just it, we're NOT different. I'm American and about as conservative as they come. I know other Americans who are as wild as can be. To me, it doesn't matter about nationality or country of origin. We are all different, we all have different taste/likes/dislikes. If you treat each client as the individual that they are, you will be mega successful!

im sad as of the way this thread has gone I honestly just wanted some nice tips , I Give up though as it seems almost everything I say at the mo gets jumped on.......

I went back and re-read all the posts to this thread and haven't found ONE that is negative against your original post. I don't understand why you wrote this.

You were given some really good ideas. Best of luck to you! :hug:

Last edited:
Hunny, whichever country or clienttype you find yourself in/with there will always be something that ties you. The client looking for the est possible tech and you fulfilling that for them. Your work is amazing, your passion is hard to rival ( even here on Geek ), your generosity and truthfulness as a genuine, caring person shines through and clients be them American, English, German or Martian will always love and depend on you, just as your Geeky friends do xxxxx Better get to see you before you leave though, need some stilettos for Christmas :hug:

I'm sorry, I didnt mean to offend, and I wasnt offended by the "americans are different" thing. I would have contributed tips but as I've lived here my entire life and have barely left my own state I dont know how things are done anywhere else. I guess I'd say that enhancements are more popular than gel polish here, but again by here I dont mean the US as a whole. And I wasnt laughing at your question by any means, I was laughing because I will compliment complete strangers, make friends in the grocery store line etc., I thought women did that everywhere! But also I agree with the person who said we're all different, I've seen people who want wild, long, flared, lipstick, stilletto, tons of glitter, tons of art, and I've also seen people who want a simple shellac french manicure, some who want pink and white l&p, and everything in between. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I never ever want to hurt feelings!

Latest posts

Back