How trusting are you about people and information on SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i must be an innocent old eejit as it never dawned on me that people would not just be themselves ,
anyhow i tend to be guided by the amount of reps a geek has as to how reputable they are.
although i think karen is questionable. :wink2:

well i must be an innocent old eejit as it never dawned on me that people would not just be themselves ,
anyhow i tend to be guided by the amount of reps a geek has as to how reputable they are.
although i think karen is questionable. :wink2:

How VERY dare you!!

I was going to rep you for that post and now you can forget it!!

*flicks hair back and walks off in a right old strop*

On a slightly different note I do tend to get a picture of people when I read many different replies from them, which is then shot down when I realise I've got it totally wrong (ie they're male not female, younger not older, American not British) I can't help but build a picture up-don't know why!!

It's the sort of thread that makes everyone paranoid.

I think the only people who would be paranoid are the people that have something to hide!

You've got to remember its the Internet and broadly speaking it is unregulated or in moderated so people tend to be 'braver' behind a computer screen and write things they probably wouldn't in person.

The other big downside, and it's the same for text messages, is that you can't judge the 'tone' of someone's response in the way you can in real life. Therefore sometimes people react badly to something that genuinely wasn't meant to be insulting or negative.

Also it's good to remember that if you go on here and say 'can I have feedback' etc on something then be prepared to get a whole range of responses. Smile and take it all in your stride! Getting offended by it is just a waste of energy and genuinely 'feeds' those rate ones who are just out to cause a response!

It usually means they're struggling with their own issues or confidence and I can spot them a mile off! Turn it around and be amused by it rather than threatened!

It's the sort of thread that makes everyone paranoid.

I'm even starting to wonder if I'm actually me now!

In all seriousness though, the thought has never crossed my mind that geeks may not be who they say they are - has anyone experienced this?

Agreed about Karen being dodgy though... :D

I think the only people who would be paranoid are the people that have something to hide!

I am a little paroniod sometimes but only because of my ex, at one point i was thinking everyone i was talking to was him (not on here on another site) i
am very open and nothing to hide, just little old me i afraid :Dxx

Haha An*Gel... Didn't think of that. Maybe I should rebrand myself as Don't Fake it... Not sure how good for business it would be though considering my line of work... Nails, lashes, spray tans! Lol x

Oh no, call me naive and definitely way too trusting but I hate to think anyone is pretending to be someone that they're not :(
Having said that when I first joined SG there were certain geeks who I thought were rude and patronising, then I got to know their personality and realised that they are actually some of the most knowledgable and giving people on this forum and felt annoyed at myself for being a shocking judge of character!
I trust a lot of the information on this site, but still research it further.
Great thread xx

I'm even starting to wonder if I'm actually me now!

In all seriousness though, the thought has never crossed my mind that geeks may not be who they say they are - has anyone experienced this?

Agreed about Karen being dodgy though... :D

I expect that kind of post from that other Irish wagon... but you?... well I'm shocked... just shocked!!

I expect that kind of post from that other Irish wagon... but you?... well I'm shocked... just shocked!!

Teehee!! I am who I say I am and I admire you really!

I use SG mostly to get opinions and general chatting about experiences. I wouldn't really use it for an educational purpose unless it was Geeg or Kim Lawless responding.

I think most people using this site are genuine and really want to help. But you will always find people who are not like that.

I do find that this site is well run and well policed (if that's the right way to describe it) by the people who run the site and the other geeks.

I always think the advice given should be checked independently anyway. Opinions are just that - opinions. The reputation and hearts are a good indicator of a geeks status and reliability.

This is a great thread. Well done for posting it.

My scepticism comes from my work in prisons and a city centre emergency department. Unfortunately it makes you very aware of manipulative people and situations.

For example, we've got a neighbour from hell and due to a few things about her behaviour, I said to my boyfriend before I'd even met her face to face that she had mental health issues.

Sure enough a few days later we overheard her (she shouts down the phone or Skype all day) saying how they had just changed her psych meds etc. he turned to me and said 'you just knew didn't you'!

I think most people using this site are genuine and really want to help. But you will always find people who are not like that.

I do find that this site is well run and well policed (if that's the right way to describe it) by the people who run the site and the other geeks.

I always think the advice given should be checked independently anyway. Opinions are just that - opinions. The reputation and hearts are a good indicator of a geeks status and reliability.

This is a great thread. Well done for posting it.

Agreed a good little thread!

I agree with Mobilemanicure. As I'm a CND user I would really only seek product advice from Geeg, I don't know who anyone else is yet by their screen names as I'm still fairly new to the site. However, any other questions that I have regarding day to day salon stuff I value everyone's opinions.
Do people really have that much time on their hands that they pretend a whole work life for others to read??? Wow, if only hey! Suppose it takes all kinds though doesn't it. xx

I agree with Mobilemanicure. As I'm a CND user I would really only seek product advice from Geeg, I don't know who anyone else is yet by their screen names as I'm still fairly new to the site. However, any other questions that I have regarding day to day salon stuff I value everyone's opinions.
Do people really have that much time on their hands that they pretend a whole work life for others to read??? Wow, if only hey! Suppose it takes all kinds though doesn't it. xx

Seriously people have multiple usernames! I wondered about this early on when I joined as I'd noticed two usernames seemed to post similar kinds of posts and SG said they are aware that this can happen but actively look to stop it..but yes, if only I had the time to be two people lol

sad or weird ? not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back