How trusting are you about people and information on SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I totally don't get why people are feeling paranoid. (We know it isn't you Dawn:hug: Well actually I don't know but I really really don't think it's you!)

And I totally don't get why people are feeling paranoid. (We know it isn't you Dawn:hug: Well actually I don't know but I really really don't think it's you!)

The reason i would feel paronoid is someone i was talking to was my ex again in disguise, That sounds really stupid i no but its the way he has got me!
A mutural friend had texed me at xmas on a new number and i acually called the number to double check it was her! xx

I for one think this is one of the most well moderated sites possible.

This is after all a teaching site. Peeps can ask questions and truthful answers can be backed up and researched - they survive this test because they are true ...

I know some posters feel picked on from time to time, this is a sad reality, but when you post poor or incorrect information (or sheer unsubstantiated opinion) this is what will happen. Remember some of the truly great leaders and path forgers of the industry lurk here...

Personally I do read profiles and match their posts to the answer/information they give. If it doesn't add up I will question them.

I have no issue explaining who I am or what I do. I only work from honest and accurate information. And I am willing to learn and update whenever I can...

Allen

I have only just started coming on here having only just trained in spray tanning last week. I don't post any advice, as I don't have any to give really as still learning everything myself. I sit back and read and pick up the odd tip here and there. I don't think I have thought about not believing who people are, but I don't take all advice as gospel, more as an idea to look into.

I am enjoying this site as so far I haven't seen any nastiness or any cliques which I have found on other forums. So as a newbie I have found it great. Although I now want fantastic nails after following the show us your nails thread!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

One of the reasons that I started this thread is because I found out that a geek was portraying that they were something they were not. I know some geeks have done this before but this was a well respected geek. Now I'm not giving details or naming anyone, that's not what this thread is about.
It's just that it made me realise how trusting we are and how we just assume.
Although I was very disappointed it did make me think that in future I will do my homework.
I do try to find out as much information as I can if I'm doing training or buying products etc.
I guess it doesn't help that we are not allowed to say anything negative about individuals which, although a good thing, it does make it harder to know who to trust.
I just hope that people will do their homework and get as many recommendations as they can before making decisions.

In a relatively faceless society such as SG it is very easy to portray yourself to be something you are not. My Mum used to say always tell the truth (unless it will hurt someone badly) because your lies will find you out eventually.

Here is a little quote I found from Hugh Laurie that I love:

I'm rather enjoying the whole process of reinvention, ... To be able to pretend to be something that I'm frankly not is very liberating and exciting.

I am very careful about what I post. It was too many years ago that I did my C&G, so updated myself on a one day manicure course last summer. I still have my head in my books and on this site daily.

It makes me feel like I don't give enough back to this site (yet!) and I have posted rubbish at times, through sheer excitement, anxiety or tiredness! My bad. :rolleyes:

Here is a little quote I found from Hugh Laurie that I love:

I'm rather enjoying the whole process of reinvention, ... To be able to pretend to be something that I'm frankly not is very liberating and exciting.

Liberating and exciting, yes! But disrespectful to those who trusted and believed.

It's the sort of thread that makes everyone paranoid.

Just because I am paranoid...doesn't mean they are not out to get me :eek:

People who have an agenda are pretty transparent ... When you've been a moderator for. 9 years you really get a nose for it. So leave it to the mods geeks ... They will look after you and keep you safe. :hug:

As for people bring who they say they are ... I'm more bothered about what they say than who they actually are.

As a much less experienced Mod but a long term Geek I have had my eyes opened with some of behind scenes goings on I am now privvy to, but I think I am good at sussing things out.

I have been on here for years, but the only personal things anyone needs to know about me are there on my profile. I am not a caring sharing person, because this is the world wide web ;) I think more geeks should bear that in mind when posting or blogging.

Yet why do I even feel the need to explain that?
Yes, threads like this do make us all a little paranoid.

Many people have now posted on this thread that they don't believe any posts about nails or CND unless Geeg posts....well should I just stop posting at all, is my knowledge and experience somehow not valid?
Should Geeg be tied to her PC at all times and never go out, never have a holiday and never do nails again because she has to be here?

Good thread? Maybe so as it has got us all debating and discussing, but it has also left a nasty little taste in my mouth!

Angelina started a thought-provoking and interesting thread.

I have to be honest and say that I now feel there is a hint coming through that perhaps a particular Geek is the focus, and maybe being got at.

Unfortunately it would be very difficult for him/her to give the other side of the story.

There will be many people like me who like a bit of gossip, but I do feel uneasy that someone out there could be suffering.

OMG - what an unbelievable topic.....
I thought I was clued up to whats what - but it just keeps you aware.... I have had very personal messages with a couple of geeks (and trusted them) which was right and they have been lovely 1 of them we have alot in common.

I joined here to accept and learn valuable advice/guidance I would not be happy to be mislead!!

Love the site - but i say these quotes to follow apply...

The worst thing about being lied to is not being worthy of the truth!

Being completely open and honest is giving somebody the ability to destroy you.... but trusting them not to

I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught

An expert is a person who has made all of the mistakes possible in a very specific field

Last edited:
I am one of the ones that's probely to open, I guess as I don't work or get out much due to having ME its nice to chat to others who love the same thing as me, nails! I only do a couple of friends do I don't get the experience some people get but it's good to no I can get the advice and help in here xx

I am one of the ones that's probely to open, I guess as I don't work or get out much due to having ME its nice to chat to others who love the same thing as me, nails! I only do a couple of friends do I don't get the experience some people get but it's good to no I can get the advice and help in here xx

agreed - i know who i can trust :D

I dont think there are any hints and I also think there should Not be ANY speculation either. If anyone starts that game the thread will be closed and rightly so.

And also why would we take the word of one geek over another. I'm really not bothered who it is to be honest. But I'd make my own judgement regardless of what anyone else decided to relay.

It could escalate and that would be silly. I personally respect the advice of some geeks over others. And I feel comfortable letting some geeks know my personal details and others not so much. For example dandelion. I'd tell her anything. Others I wouldn't.

It's common sense that once the notion that "a geek is not who they are" was thrown into the thread people would want or feel the need to know so my thought is it shouldn't have been mentioned. But that's just my opinion.

The whole thread is thought provoking. But I'm not sure those thoughts are entirely positive. As persianista said its the type of thread that causes paranoia. And let's be blunt there's no way she has pretended to be a salon owner etc. you only have to read her in depth answers to know she's 100% upfront and knows exactly what she's talking about. X

I have to say I don't think there are cliques on here. I've always felt a bit disconnected but I think that's just the way I am where I put my guard up etc.

I'd like to think we are all lovely but that just isn't the way of the world. So for that reason I keep a safe distance, safe enough to be protected but still close enough to learn.

I hope you all don't think badly of the geek who has been 2 personas, you don't know the situation and as easy as it is to judge people, let's not forget we are only human and some people are stronger than others. Some people need to make themselves feel better for one reason or another. I just hope that person can realise their mistakes and appreciate that they were wrong and apologise to whomever they hurt. x

I think the worst part of a forum like this and indeed most internet group settings is that people tend to form their own opinions which aren't always correct. People do invent certain parts of their lives for the benefit of other - to fit in, to feel like one of the "click" perhaps but that isn't always the case.

The scary part I guess is that between Geeks, some very private information is shared about our pasts, our lives and such. That information is sensitive and to then find out it has been shared amongst other people for them to get a laugh out of - that is when trust really comes into question.

There was recently several groups on FB talking about SG - members from this site saying how they felt the site was to clicky, they felt almost bullied at times by certain members, they felt they couldn't post here because they were being ignored or such like.

It is awful to think that people feel like that. that they can't post because of the worry about more prominent members making them feel stupid or making them feel unwelcome.

that isn't something that stays with newer members sadly - there is, at times, a pack mentality goes on between certain members of the site. One of them feels something so they all jump on the bandwagon with pitch forks be it publicly here on the boards or between themselves in their closed discussions.

I guess Angelina is very correct about being very careful of who you trust on here. People can appear to be friendly and interested and just when you begin to feel you have made friends you get proved right that you can't fully trust anyone to keep confidential info between 2 people.

How many of you have shared personal and private information between yourslef and another Geek? How many of you can say hand on heart that your private messages stay private and are not shared amongst other people? Definitely something to think about. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is the only place you are discussed because it isn't.

I see more and more threads being started that are purposely to dig at other members, to secretly make them the topic of conversation and realise why so many Geeks have taken a step back from the site.

As for people feeling they have to "prove" themselves and what they are qualified in etc - it is a public forum. any person from off the street can join and portray themselves to be a super therapist qualified beyond their years etc but bad info is sniffed out in a flash on a site like this.

It makes you wonder though - obviously the person Angelina is talking about will read this. How do you think they will feel at the end of the thread? Knowing that their "friends" are talking behind their back, knowing that PM's are more than likely being exchanged about them and such like. I imagine that this thread will provok everyone to ponder just who, be it mods or new geeks, they can really trust. xx

I personally have been invited to join four groups on facebook - all from salon geekers........its no secret.

Do you see what I mean?

I think this is getting a bit by the by now

I personally have been invited to join four groups on facebook - all from salon geekers........its no secret.

I don't recall mentioning "Secret" groups in my reply? x

I don't recall mentioning "Secret" groups in my reply? x
I didn't say secret groups, you just said that. I said I am a member of 4 groups on facebook, invited by salon geekers. its no secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back