How trusting are you about people and information on SG?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I use my real name as my username. You can check me out at any time just by googling my name!
I'm one of the humourless ones, aren't I?
I really don't mean to come across as po faced; it's just that I like things to be just so.
I'm really sorry - I'll try harder to be fluffy!

See what I mean? this thread makes people paranoid!

Lynne, I have met you in real life, and can vouch that you are exactly what it says on the tin!
If Angelina is insinuating that I'm not a real hairdresser/salon owner, people can think what they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
People have tried it and even done it, but the moderation team know instantly when it happens ... Because we have a very clever Grand Master Geek!! Lol. Actually, people that try it on with these tricks liven up our day as moderators and it can be most amusing to see the same person talking to themselves! Lol. They are generally banned as users. Nothing a mod likes more than a good banning! Lol

I talk to myself. I find it most agreeing and we hardly ever argue do we ? No we don't :)
Vicki xx

Very interesting thread. I am the "wear my heart on my sleeve" kind of gal and I forget all the time about how dangerous the WWW can be.
I used to be a member of a parenting forum some time ago, we had many a fake troll on there, some very odd people, one lady clearly so troubled as she made up an entire life, including miscarrying twins, then pretending to be her husband coming on line to fill us all in whilst she was in hospital. This initially made me really angry, as well as many other on the forum because we REALLY had been through some of the things she was saying about but I think someone has to be very unstable to concoct stories and lies on that level.

I do trust SG, I think in the short space of time I have been a member I have worked out whose advice I can trust as the correct advice.

A very thought provoking topic :wink2:

This is why I use my real name as my username. You can check me out at any time just by googling my name!
I'm one of the humourless ones, aren't I?
I really don't mean to come across as po faced; it's just that I like things to be just so.
I'm really sorry - I'll try harder to be fluffy!

Hmm, fluffy Lynne .. :cool:

This is the picture I have built of Lynne Baker:

Professional
Logical
Business acumen
Science over emotion - in a debate
Successful

However there is a sliver of something different that pops through very very occasionally which reveals your fluffy side - humsbums, is that the right word?

And there it is - that little bit of Lynne that is unexpectedly shown to the rest of us geeks.

And make us smile when we least expect it :hug:

xx

Professional
Logical
Business acumen
Successful

However there is a sliver of something different that pops through very very occasionally which reveals your fluffy side - humsbums, is that the right word?

And there it is - that little bit of Lynne that is unexpectedly shown to the rest of us geeks.

xx
I thought she was good fun, and nice when I met her. Not po-faced at all.

Very interesting thread. I am the "wear my heart on my sleeve" kind of gal and I forget all the time about how dangerous the WWW can be.
I used to be a member of a parenting forum some time ago, we had many a fake troll on there, some very odd people, one lady clearly so troubled as she made up an entire life, including miscarrying twins, then pretending to be her husband coming on line to fill us all in whilst she was in hospital. This initially made me really angry, as well as many other on the forum because we REALLY had been through some of the things she was saying about but I think someone has to be very unstable to concoct stories and lies on that level.

I do trust SG, I think in the short space of time I have been a member I have worked out whose advice I can trust as the correct advice.

A very thought provoking topic :wink2:

It is worrying how far people will take things, like I said I was on a social net working site and my ex joined as someone else, we spoke ALOT for six weeks until I found out it was him!
The police were involved and it was not a very nice experience at all!
But this can happen, you here of woman falling in love on line and being coned out of money ect. I would hope I have a pretty good judgement on people I chat with and you normally get advice off a few, do if there is one bad apple I'm sure they will stand out, just a pitty people do this but I guess this is one of the downsides to the WWW x x x
Ps that's my pic and i am called Lila :) x x

I think the problem with the internet is that people can so easily say that they are something they are not. I personally have never questioned anything I have read on here, but then I am still untrained (due to bad health and money) so I would maybe miss bad advice that's given because I dont know any better.

It must be exhausting though trying to pretend to be your something that your not, why people would even feel the need to I dont know.

Hmmmmm......

Too many times do I read high rate posts on here.
I think we're all open & honest people.
I hope this doesn't end up with ill feelings & uncertainty

good thread Angelina....

it is easy to get carried away with your typing when on a forum like this, but I try and type it as I would say it. I have geeks come to me for training so would soon be caught out if I reinvented myself.

Professional
Logical
Business acumen
Successful

xx

That's exactly how I want to be perceived!
Not only do I have a hunny bunny humsbums, I have a little pussy popkins called Jess!
I have a motorcycle called Oscar and I do a mean Victoria Wood impression!

But work is work. My own standards are very high and I demand the highest standards of everything I use.
Some of the people on here make me very frustrated indeed. In the one thread we moan how the industry is belittled in the eyes of the public, and in the next there are those threatening to demand money with menaces, or that it's perfectly fine to do a one day course in something and then be let loose on the public.
This is my industry too and my mortgage depends on it!

I think the worst part of a forum like this and indeed most internet group settings is that people tend to form their own opinions which aren't always correct. People do invent certain parts of their lives for the benefit of other - to fit in, to feel like one of the "click" perhaps but that isn't always the case.

The scary part I guess is that between Geeks, some very private information is shared about our pasts, our lives and such. That information is sensitive and to then find out it has been shared amongst other people for them to get a laugh out of - that is when trust really comes into question.

There was recently several groups on FB talking about SG - members from this site saying how they felt the site was to clicky, they felt almost bullied at times by certain members, they felt they couldn't post here because they were being ignored or such like.

It is awful to think that people feel like that. that they can't post because of the worry about more prominent members making them feel stupid or making them feel unwelcome.

that isn't something that stays with newer members sadly - there is, at times, a pack mentality goes on between certain members of the site. One of them feels something so they all jump on the bandwagon with pitch forks be it publicly here on the boards or between themselves in their closed discussions.

I guess Angelina is very correct about being very careful of who you trust on here. People can appear to be friendly and interested and just when you begin to feel you have made friends you get proved right that you can't fully trust anyone to keep confidential info between 2 people.

How many of you have shared personal and private information between yourslef and another Geek? How many of you can say hand on heart that your private messages stay private and are not shared amongst other people? Definitely something to think about. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is the only place you are discussed because it isn't.

I see more and more threads being started that are purposely to dig at other members, to secretly make them the topic of conversation and realise why so many Geeks have taken a step back from the site.

As for people feeling they have to "prove" themselves and what they are qualified in etc - it is a public forum. any person from off the street can join and portray themselves to be a super therapist qualified beyond their years etc but bad info is sniffed out in a flash on a site like this.

It makes you wonder though - obviously the person Angelina is talking about will read this. How do you think they will feel at the end of the thread? Knowing that their "friends" are talking behind their back, knowing that PM's are more than likely being exchanged about them and such like. I imagine that this thread will provok everyone to ponder just who, be it mods or new geeks, they can really trust. xx

That's exactly how I want to be perceived!
Not only do I have a hunny bunny humsbums, I have a little pussy popkins called Jess!
I have a motorcycle called Oscar and I do a mean Victoria Wood impression!

But work is work. My own standards are very high and I demand the highest standards of everything I use.
Some of the people on here make me very frustrated indeed. In the one thread we moan how the industry is belittled in the eyes of the public, and in the next there are those threatening to demand money with menaces, or that it's perfectly fine to do a one day course in something and then be let loose on the public.
This is my industry too and my mortgage depends on it!

Agree with all you have said.

Salon Geek seems to be divided by those who haave to work long and hard because their businesses pay the mortgage - that's me as well as you.

And those who don't even know what to call themselves.

No disrespect to anyone who has ever posted re the above, I often go on to those threads to see if I can help.

But if you were sitting in your own mortgaged home with bills to pay and a lifestyle to support without the comfort of someone else to financially depend on - the last thing to be asking questions about is what to call yourself.

The above situation focuses the mind like a laser beam!

So Lynne, there is no need for you to start doing fluffy .. you would discombobulate us and there's enough of that going around on here as it is.

You are mighty fine just as you are.

Peace and respect

xx

The site i had problems on was FB and to be honest i feel at lot safer on here then on that! I have not had a personal account on there because of what happened over 4 yrs ago (i do have a fashion page but no info of me) now and would not in the future, the police were involved and fb STILL did not get intouch even after sending loads of messages telling then what was going on, there is NO help on FB as soon as something goes wrong, my profile pic on FB popped up on my daughters bibo page for a dating site! To many things went on and not enough support, On here i have never felt laughed at or stupid or bullied, if i need to ask something i will and have had great help and support.
If a thread seems to be getting out of hand its locked to prevent people being nasty, there is always someone to help, thats how i feel anyway xxx

I am also new to SG as I'm new to nails so don't post much as if I search I normaly find what I'm looking for. I have not been on many other sites so it's all a bit new to me.

I trust what people are saying and I suppose one of the reasons I'm a paid member is because I feel well looked after on SG and safe. I feel very sorry for anyone who has to make a life up :eek: but I'm sure it does happen.

Anyway this is a very interesting thread.

oh and unfortunatly the pic is me :green:

Steph x

I think the worst part of a forum like this and indeed most internet group settings is that people tend to form their own opinions which aren't always correct. People do invent certain parts of their lives for the benefit of other - to fit in, to feel like one of the "click" perhaps but that isn't always the case.

The scary part I guess is that between Geeks, some very private information is shared about our pasts, our lives and such. That information is sensitive and to then find out it has been shared amongst other people for them to get a laugh out of - that is when trust really comes into question.

There was recently several groups on FB talking about SG - members from this site saying how they felt the site was to clicky, they felt almost bullied at times by certain members, they felt they couldn't post here because they were being ignored or such like.

It is awful to think that people feel like that. that they can't post because of the worry about more prominent members making them feel stupid or making them feel unwelcome.

that isn't something that stays with newer members sadly - there is, at times, a pack mentality goes on between certain members of the site. One of them feels something so they all jump on the bandwagon with pitch forks be it publicly here on the boards or between themselves in their closed discussions.

I guess Angelina is very correct about being very careful of who you trust on here. People can appear to be friendly and interested and just when you begin to feel you have made friends you get proved right that you can't fully trust anyone to keep confidential info between 2 people.

How many of you have shared personal and private information between yourslef and another Geek? How many of you can say hand on heart that your private messages stay private and are not shared amongst other people? Definitely something to think about. Don't be fooled into thinking that this is the only place you are discussed because it isn't.

I see more and more threads being started that are purposely to dig at other members, to secretly make them the topic of conversation and realise why so many Geeks have taken a step back from the site.

As for people feeling they have to "prove" themselves and what they are qualified in etc - it is a public forum. any person from off the street can join and portray themselves to be a super therapist qualified beyond their years etc but bad info is sniffed out in a flash on a site like this.

It makes you wonder though - obviously the person Angelina is talking about will read this. How do you think they will feel at the end of the thread? Knowing that their "friends" are talking behind their back, knowing that PM's are more than likely being exchanged about them and such like. I imagine that this thread will provok everyone to ponder just who, be it mods or new geeks, they can really trust. xx

Oh my goodness - really? Where does everyone go to to talk about other geeks then?

In real life I would avoid that kind of behaviour, I don't like spitefulness.

How do you find out that all of this is going on? I am completely baffled.

I'm oblivious as to what happens on Facebook; I've always had enough reservations about it to stop me joining.

I only ever pm a VERY small number of Geeks, in fact, very, very small. I trust these geeks totally and have no fear of them saying anything on another site.

Unfortunately, because I'm a nosy so-and-so, I am also v. curious as to who the mystery non-geek is.

Oh my goodness - really? Where does everyone go to to talk about other geeks then?

In real life I would avoid that kind of behaviour, I don't like spitefulness.

How do you find out that all of this is going on? I am completely baffled.

Me too ... guess there is a whole fringe group and sub culture who get their kicks (or their validation from like minded others) this way! Who has the time or the energy? ... PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT BUSY NAIL TECHS out there working and making money THAT'S WHO!

STAND IN MY SHOES .. I GET MORE DIGS AND POT SHOTS TAKEN AT ME THAN ANYONE. :biggrin: And the ones who do it do not know me at all! Ask me if I am really bothered by it?? NO ... I have broad shoulders ... years of experience the ones who do all the 'talking' do not, and I don't tell lies!! I loath and detest liars. I have ethics, principals and the integrity of 27 years in this nail business and I defy anyone to prove that statement wrong. Believe me if it could be proved wrong, then plenty would have tried to do it by now. :biggrin:

PS .. I couldn't care less who the 'mystery' geek is (but Angelina, if you do not tell me then I will have to take a contract out on your life!! lol)

Last edited:
Me too ... guess there is a whole fringe group and sub culture who get their kicks (or their validation from like minded others) this way! Who has the time or the energy? ... PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT BUSY NAIL TECHS out tthere making money THAT'S WHO!

STAND IN MY SHOES .. I GET MORE DIGS AND POT SHOTS TAKEN AT ME THAN ANYONE. :biggrin: And the ones who do it do not know me at all! Ask me if I am really bothered by it?? NO ... I have broad shoulders ... years of experience the ones who do all the 'talking' do not, and I don't tell lies!! I loath and detest liars. I have ethics, principals and the integrity of 27 years in this nail business and I defy anyone to prove that statement wrong. Believe me if it could be proved wrong, then plenty would have tried to do it by now. :biggrin:

PS .. I couldn't care less who the 'mystery' geek is (but Angelina, if you do not tell me then I will have to take a contract out on your life!! lol)

Well bloody said x

I tell everyone you are really lovely in real life! But you probably don't even remember meeting me...:cry:

Anyway, I think we should have a poll!

OR, will the real slim shady please stand up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back