I am scared

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabee

Reaction score
Well have not been on here for a very long time, so glad you are all still here. I gave up doing nails 4 years ago and I have been asked by a friend to join her in her shop doing nails and beauty. I am terrified that I will be crap at doing them now. Its been so long!
Its going to mean a big outlay for me by the time I buy all the stuff I need. She is looking for a 60/40 split in anything I make.
I dont have a client list and neither does she but she said loads of people have been asking her for nails and beauty treatments.
Am I mad to do this?
Help
Sharon
x

Hi Hun,
How about a refresher course, or a 1 to 1, to boost your confidence back up?
I personally think 60/40 split is too high if you are providing the nail products, I know someone will correct me if I am wrong, 60/40 split is more like I would expect if the salon owner was to buy the products in.
I would be looking to 20-25% as your contribution.
Hope this is of some help.
Best wishes
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: x

I agree with poshfloss totally, 60 40 is too much if you are expected to buy in all your products. would she supply your products?

and yes I think a refresher course would do your confidence good.

let us know how it goes

tigi
xx

Hiya!

I gave up doing nails a few years ago also but have decided to get back into it.

I've done the brisa conversion, and i plan to do the L&P conversion to use as a 'refresher' course for me...i have found that it has all come back to me now as i've re-read all my theory info and then when i had the products in front of me i remembered most things straight away!!

good luck x

Thanks for the quick replies. My friend is the manager of the shop. It was her idea about the 60/40 split. When i mentioned about them getting in the stock she said that the hairdressers all buy their own stock in and they do a 60/40 split also. I think it is to high as every treatment i do requires using a product. Its not like a cut and blow dry where all they need is sissors.
I am having a meeting with the owner of the shop soon and just really need to know what to say to her about it all.
By the way my friend has been pulled in to save this shop from going under, which is another concern for me.
I do quite fancy getting back into this line of work.
x

totally go on a refesher course, its like riding a bike to be honest once you learn you never forget!
And as for your friend, tell her you are not push over and will not be taken advantage of!!
xx

well, you need to decide what you will say yes to, and stick with it. explain to her your figures, and how you got to that figure.

For example if you charge 20 for set , she is expecting 12 and leaving you with 8. BUT it costs you xx amount for each set (about 3.50?) and you are paying for products it will leave you with 4.50 after costs and does not even take into account your time !

I wouldnt do a set for 4.50, and when you look at it that way, I dont think you would want to either!

If she is not paying for products, then you should be taking at LEAST 70% by my calculations above. £14 for you £6 for her and that leaves you 11 after products.

I am not suggesting you charge 20 either, I am just trying to give you some figures to work with.

well, you need to decide what you will say yes to, and stick with it. explain to her your figures, and how you got to that figure.

For example if you charge 20 for set , she is expecting 12 and leaving you with 8. BUT it costs you xx amount for each set (about 3.50?) and you are paying for products it will leave you with 4.50 after costs and does not even take into account your time !

I wouldnt do a set for 4.50, and when you look at it that way, I dont think you would want to either!

If she is not paying for products, then you should be taking at LEAST 70% by my calculations above. £14 for you £6 for her and that leaves you 11 after products.

Thats great! thanks for the figures.
By the way I am getting 60%
I am not suggesting you charge 20 either, I am just trying to give you some figures to work with.
xxx

Thanks for those figures, they do give me something to work with. By the way I am getting 60% and she takes 40%

sorry, i got confused, even so 60 is not enough when you do the maths.

Hi,

Like all the others have said, a refresher course would be a good idea. And yes, you need to work out exactly what you want before you see her and stick to it. If she doesnt agree, then its her loss....just find somewhere else and start there. If shes that desperate to save her business then I am sure she will compromise with you!! Good luck xx

I have a girl in my salon and we work it as 70/30 split which we are both happy with. She uses her own stock. I take all her bookings and she just comes in as and when she has appointments.

Sassy that sounds more like what i am looking for. Thanks

I would do a refresher course but I cant find an academy in Aberdeen
x

Latest posts

Back