I can learn how to do nails in five minutes ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread and although I agree with a majority of what has been said just wanted to add my point of view.

I would love to see the companies offering the world after 5 days brought to task for almost conning people out of money but I would also like to see tutors checked regularly for their commitment in what they do.

I'll be honest and say my decision to add nails to my list of salon treatments was more because I always thought they were my weakest point and therefore didnt "love" them like everything else I offer and I hoped by doing the course I would not only be able to add them to my list of treatments but would become passionate about them.

So after lots of thought and consideration, I decided that being of the more mature side of life ;), I would go for a 14 week course at a local college (slow & steady approach) of which being only slightly short of a grand was certainly not the cheap option.

My tutor may have been there in body, but I certainly don't think she was there in spirit. She mostly went through the motions, we were not shown how to re-balance, how to do pink & whites (because tips were much easier!) And we were given answer pages to go with our assignments, probably because she couldnt be bothered to check them only to give them back for corrections then have to check them again.

This women not only ran a successful salon, worked at the college in the day time but also ran my evening class and I really feel her motive in my class were money not passion for nails and producing good nail techs.

Nine months on my hearts sinks when a client rings for nails but still desperate to be good, I brought into Shellac and went on the Shellac Attack training for which I am entirely grateful.

It was there I met the lovely Liza Smith CND educator who has taken the time to listen to my grieviances and advised me to go on a CND conversion course with her where she will be entirely honest with me, and advise me on whether I need to go back to basics or for a more advanced course. She said she thinks that because I had no faith in my training that I have no faith in my ability (which even if that turns out not to be the case and I am infact really rubbish!) at least she has given me the confidence to try.

So some are talking about needing passion to be a successful nail tech but if you pay for a course and turn up with all the enthusiasm in the world and are faced with a tutor who is there purely for the money, I think that is just as bad as a company promising everything is 5 days.

Good points here, Heather, and it does go to show, that it doesn't matter how long some courses are either, as the end result is always down to a very few things: In no particular order, the quality of the education along with the educator, and the aptitude of the student as well as what they put into the practice side of things and the attitude which for many is, "OK it'll do" or for others the search for perfection.

As to the post above ... I have never ever given unhelpful criticism in my life and never generalized either. Maybe if the cap fits one would think so.

Last edited:
I myself have started training by learning to do Manis and Pedis in January of this year, and it has snowballed from there. I did a short course at night school for l&P and have now only realised the enormity of it all and the obsession in my life with nails. I eat, sleep and drink it all. I am constantly putting all my earnings back into more courses.

I work full time at the moment and cannot afford to give this up at the moment due to financial commitments but do my nails in the evenings and weekends so I am working 7 days at the moment. It is so bad that I rope in my husband and 12 year old son to practice on when I have no-one else to volunteer. It was not until I had completed my l&p course and then stumbled upon this website that I realised how badly put together the course I did was. It was seemingly accredited by the beauty guild and the tutor has her own salon, she has been a beauty therapist/nail tech for 20+ years and still doesn't know ****. Yes we had to sit an exam but she had 15+ students doing both gel and acrylic in her classes at the same time. I am considering putting in a complaint about the course as she did not cover infilling/rebalancing or sculpting not to mention a whole host of other things.

I want to do this as my career and intend to put my heart and soul (not to mention free funds) into this. If this means waiting until I can afford the next course then so be it. In between times I am practising in all my free time and have quite a lot of very happy clients now through hard work and commitment. Please don't knock the ones who didn't know where to start and may have got it wrong in the beginning and now see the error of their ways.

To end it all I am doing my akzentz gel conversion course this weekend having saved like mad and know that while I will have the paperwork to say I can do this I know I am far from perfect or an expert.

Hi,
you wont believe this but I did a set of nails on someone this afternoon . So i thought, very nice a new client.
Anyway, just as I was finishing off she kindly told me that I made it look so easy that she's not going to bother going on a course. Also if anyone asks her who did her nails she is going to say she did them herself......:mad:

Well good luck to her because she is going to need it.

cobweb x

Ok..I did a year long manicure and pedicure course at college, I have just recently finished a 3 day Acrylic course with united beauty, is this course too short? I dont expect to be a fantastic Nail tech after 3 days, but I do feel passionate enough about nails to Practise as much as I can, I think it depends on the person who has completed the course, not the length of time it has taken to complete the course.
My trainer was absoloutely Fantastic and didnt pass every one who came on the course as she wanted to see nails that were good enough for a paying client (I personally for now am only charging £5 a set as I am only covering my costs as I am Practising).
It does come across alittle that unless you have done a Creative or similar course then really no other course is good enough, I have really enjoyed the course I have done and Know I still have loads to learn and that my training has only just begun, I have found this site very useful for tips and hints and have picked up loads of info on technique etc, However I do tend to think very carefully before I ask a question or post a comment on here as I do feel that sometimes ppl can be a little harsh, yes I know it sometimes is taken the wrong way by others but sometimes it is just harsh!.
I did my course with united beauty because my local college no longer run courses in Nails and there is no other training places local to me, I am glad I went to united beauty and feel like I have made a great start on my road to being a future Nail Technician x :)

Interesting, I'm doing a unit in beauty covering manicure and I'm doing my bio sculpture course at the end of the month. I realise it will be quite a while and lots of practise before I can do a professional job of the gel nails. What further courses would you guys recommend???
hey hayleyjoyce;726027 i have done the biosculpture course it is very advanced and i havent needed any further courses on gel nails! i trained with biosculpture about 4-5 years ago now, id say after the first year of practising i was getting as good as most people and now i can do nails without even thinkink about it! biosculpture are great to deal with they are very freindly and help you with any problems! hope this helps

hey hayleyjoyce;726027 i have done the biosculpture course it is very advanced and i havent needed any further courses on gel nails! i trained with biosculpture about 4-5 years ago now, id say after the first year of practising i was getting as good as most people and now i can do nails without even thinkink about it! biosculpture are great to deal with they are very freindly and help you with any problems! hope this helps

What a very narrow point of view! How do you know you are as good as most people?

If you can do nails without thinking about it you are not really providing your clients with what is right for them! Every client needs a bit of thought!

This may sound a bit harsh but a true professional doesn't just stop at a training 4-5 years ago and think that is it. This site is dedicated to promoting on-going training.

If you are completely booked up with many happy clients, congratulations. A very nice place to be. But one course 4-5 years ago is a bit outdated now. There have been so many developments in the industry since then.

Maybe your post just came across wrongly to me.

I agree, and I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT had I only offered one choice of enhancment to clients, I would never have built the business I had for 15 years!

I made sure I took some sort of course every year and became an expert at every type of nail enhancement there is. I still do training to this day almost every year. I have done two trainings already this year and I have been in the business for 25 years plus a few. And there are still a few things I want to do and perfect and I will be doing that this year.

Apart from anything else, I would have been bored out of my skin only doing a paint on system. Half my joy in work is creating and satisfying the needs of ANY client who walks through the door, whether it be Wraps, L&P, sculpted or tips, gels both buff off and soak off, Minx Shellac and on and on manicures and pedicures and my favourite which is taking an ugly damaged nail/s and making it/them appear beautiful.

No one can call themself a professional nail technician with only one type of enhancement on offer any more than someone can call themself a chef if they can only cook one decent dish.

No one can call themself a professional nail technician with only one type of enhancement on offer any more than someone can call themself a chef if they can only cook one decent dish.

Geeg, you cracked me up! I love that comment. How very true! Do I have to pay royalties if I use it? ;-) :eek:

Geeg, you cracked me up! I love that comment. How very true! Do I have to pay royalties if I use it? ;-) :eek:

Be my guest!! Funnily enough I was thinking of you guys to day so stay on line for a mo while I pm you. xx

It took me around a year to complete my Essential nails Gel course, around my work life and home life, sometimes up til 4 am in the morning to get something cracked. The professional support i haev had is exceptional both from the tutors and also working professionals on here, I love what i do and have also done the nail art course, maintenance and now ploughing through L&P.. am in the throws of starting my own business so i can pursue this as a full time career. My only regret is i wish i had done it all sooner :O)

But it is rather common between nailtechs, that they choose one method, isn't it?
At least it is what I saw, both in Poland and in Germany. I was always making acrylics and gels, and it was not common attitude.
As for learning - I love it. I tried at least once a year take a course, or training day with champions. Every time I was learning something new, something else, I liked to make friends with another techs and exchange knowledge and tricks. Work only can turn you into a nail-worker, too many clients, too much job without sticking your nose outside and in a moment you feel so far from the fun, creativity. Taking part in seminars, courses really help to remember, where is joy ;).

But it is rather common between nailtechs, that they choose one method, isn't it?
At least it is what I saw, both in Poland and in Germany. I was always making acrylics and gels, and it was not common attitude.
As for learning - I love it. I tried at least once a year take a course, or training day with champions. Every time I was learning something new, something else, I liked to make friends with another techs and exchange knowledge and tricks. Work only can turn you into a nail-worker, too many clients, too much job without sticking your nose outside and in a moment you feel so far from the fun, creativity. Taking part in seminars, courses really help to remember, where is joy ;).

Yes I agree. We've visited a ton of countries this last two years and nearly all the techs working in salons focused on one system.

And I agree that they are missing out for all the reasons that you describe so well. Iryna just loves learning something new, making new friends and exchanging knowledge - it's also so important for her to have a change from doing her day to day work (which she loves too).

But there is also something another dimension that I am sure you understand. By developing your skills you are also developing your 'brand' and uniqueness, and ultimately you will earn more money that less skilled techs.

I really enjoyed reading your description and hearing your enthusiasm - thanks!

Latest posts

Back