I can learn how to do nails in five minutes ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wonderful therapist and nail tech has just done a set of gel nails on me, my first ever, and I'm thrilled with them. Yes it looked very easy, but she is a highly skilled and practised professional. I can imagine the mess a newbie could make with gels!
I make cutting hair look really easy, and no, you cant do a 3 day cutting course and do haircuts like mine!

Anyone can do nails, but it takes time skill and ability to do good nails, and thats the difference.
And a great tec never stops learning
xxx
martin john

Anyone can do nails, but it takes time skill and ability to do good nails, and thats the difference.
And a great tec never stops learning
xxx
martin john

I know at least 1000 who cant, line up more and I'll show you more that can't.

Being artistic is something that we naturally are/have.

I admire those that battle on endlessly.
I also admire those that realise their limitations.

As with any topic, those who are ignorant of the depth of the subject tend to make ridiculous assumptions. I remember the first time I had my nails done thinking, "I could do this!" 10 years later I'm putting my money where my mouth is and I couldn't be happier. I guess the bottom line is that if someone wants to learn they will, and those who think that doing nails is some side project or weekend hobby will figure out rather quickly how difficult it really is.

One of the biggest trends I see in wannabe nail techs on various 'nail' websites, particularly on the Australian nailtips site and the salon geek too in actual fact, is the reluctance of these ones to actually spend the time to learn the basics of doing really good SALON nails that will in the end be what makes them the money.

The ignorance of how to do basic nail services is actually appalling in thousands of new techs and they don't seem to want to learn either. Many many cannot do a really good rebalance .. they don't understand maintenance, can't even blend a tip in beautifully, couldn't shape a nail properly if they tried, but they want to go straight into, what they call, nail art and the 'fun stuff' ( but the stuff that actually makes no real money).

What makes a living is doing beautiful natural looking nails and maintaining them month after month and year after yearand offering good professional attention and having a modicum of intelligence about running a business profitably.

If new nail techs don't get the basics of nails right from the start, with good education followed by skill building and using products that perform well, and if they don't start being realistic about the amount of time it will take to master these skills then they will be doomed to never make a living from doing nails.

There's yet another advert in Scratch: "Learn how to be a nail technician in 1 day" :mad::mad:

I wish the owners of these 'schools' would come on here and explain why they believe this is possible!! I know whenever I've questioned any of these people on here they have disappeared!!!

I'm being interviewed at Pro Beauty next Monday. I hope I'll get the opportunity to say how bad these schools are!! I also hope to see many Geeks there too specially if you ask pertinent questions!!!!

I think I spotted one inviting the unsuspecting to learn three systems all in one go, over about three days? I wish ........ :irked:

I'm near to the end of an 8 week course, which I am thoroughly enjoying. I'm 50 years young, and am lucky enough to have a husband who is supporting me financially while I train. I am took this course on because I loved having my own nails done, and realised that it was a good social business, and could earn myself some money at the same time. I am totally committed to learning everything I can about this business, and have been practicing for free on lots of people, day, and night, busy, busy, busy, but absolutely love it. I don't intend to charge, until I obtain my cerficate, and I'm happy that I am doing a good job.

As wells as wanting to do the best job I possibly can on clients, I intend to do it mobile, and from home. I want to make it an enjoyable experience for clients. I want to learn nail art, but want to perfect my french sculpts and pink and whites before I go on to doing that. I don't want to rush ahead of myself, but I am excited about it. This last 6 weeks of learning has been the best 6 weeks of my life! :)

Gosh this is an old thread,I too get so cross when people talk about being a beauty therapist and I see adverts claiming that they can be one in a week:eek:I took 2 years to aquire my level 2 and 3,it's quite an insult really and very misleading.

Apparently you too can be a hairdresser like me in 20 weeks!
Yeah right.

Apparently you too can be a hairdresser like me in 20 weeks!
Yeah right.
Damn I was thinking of doing a day course as wanted to offer hairdressing too...will have to settle for a weeks intensive instead:irked:

A whole week? looks easy when I cut hair !!!!!!

There's yet another advert in Scratch: "Learn how to be a nail technician in 1 day" :mad::mad:

I wish the owners of these 'schools' would come on here and explain why they believe this is possible!! I know whenever I've questioned any of these people on here they have disappeared!!!

I'm being interviewed at Pro Beauty next Monday. I hope I'll get the opportunity to say how bad these schools are!! I also hope to see many Geeks there too specially if you ask pertinent questions!!!!

i saw this one and couldnt believe my eyes.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

i saw this one and couldnt believe my eyes.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Me either.... I know Scratch sell ad space and need to make profit to produce what I think is a fab magazine, but as the leading industry mag it does give a mixed message to run ads like that one alongside contributions from the likes of marian, Gigi, Tony Cuccio, Martin John etc.....

Tricky one to resolve IMO.

Me either.... I know Scratch sell ad space and need to make profit to produce what I think is a fab magazine, but as the leading industry mag it does give a mixed message to run ads like that one alongside contributions from the likes of marian, Gigi, Tony Cuccio, Martin John etc.....

Tricky one to resolve IMO.

In my 20+ years in the advertising industry (before i became a properly trained nail tech) - the advertisement dept & editorial department were two VERY seperate offices with seperate beliefs! The Ad dept wanted the money in, to cover the cost of printing, wages etc etc, the editorial wanted the story - not interested in whether it hurt the advertiser or not - mind you I am talking newspapers & not mags. In my days in EMAP, working for national magazines in the ad department, we did have a little more sway in the editorial dept.

As for the original thread of the thread - I have been in this industry for 7 years & even now, I consider myself as a very good L&P tech & a learner at gel - even though I've been doing gels for 18 months!
Whom ever thinks they can learn 'nails' in a 1 or 2 day course is very mis-informed!

Last edited:
I don't blame Scratch (thanks Vetty for your support :)) but Bev is right. I blame these hideous courses and totally misleading advertising!

PS If anyone knows the owners of this type of 'school' ask them to come on here to discuss!

Gosh this is an old thread,I too get so cross when people talk about being a beauty therapist and I see adverts claiming that they can be one in a week:eek:I took 2 years to aquire my level 2 and 3,it's quite an insult really and very misleading.

Maybe an old thread but still an extremely current topic so more than welcome to be revisited.

The people who offer these quick types of course (if they can even be dignified with the title of 'course') are only cashing in on what my post said above, which is that so many want to learn learn nails but don't want to spend the necessary time learning the basic skills ...... they are SO doomed to fail with this attitude.

The ones with the mentality that is attracted to these short silly play days are the same ones who disrespect the advice given by working successful nail techs and respected teachers ......... you should just see how they speak to Carl Anderson (one of the world greats in case you don't know :lol: ) on the Aussie site, when he gives up his time to help these bogan wannabes with good sage advice. These ones know sweet fanny adams about anything and neither do they want to listen .... it really is a joke. Without some respect for what real nail techs do and the time it has taken them to acheive success, all they will ever end up doing is playing at it.

Well I hope you didnt think that of me if you read my post.
Im kinda youngish (24), but I've studied business and now am doing nails, I would love to combine the two and have a nail business.
I dont really care if I get rich or not though, those are just the two subjects that I have passion for, and I'd love to have a future doing this and helping others build their way up in the industry.
I've already thought of the business name and started designing the business cards, aftercare pamphlets, price lists etc, lame huh, but gotta keep the dream alive :)

Who are you kidding? LOL I want to BE rich and do Nails! Money and Nails... to things I have a passion for!

Maybe an old thread but still an extremely current topic so more than welcome to be revisited.

The people who offer these quick types of course (if they can even be dignified with the title of 'course') are only cashing in on what my post said above, which is that so many want to learn learn nails but don't want to spend the necessary time learning the basic skills ...... they are SO doomed to fail with this attitude.

The ones with the mentality that is attracted to these short silly play days are the same ones who disrespect the advice given by working successful nail techs and respected teachers ......... you should just see how they speak to Carl Anderson (one of the world greats in case you don't know ) on the Aussie site, when he gives up his time to help these bogan wannabes with good sage advice. These ones know sweet fanny adams about anything and neither do they want to listen .... it really is a joke. Without some respect for what real nail techs do and the time it has taken them to acheive success, all they will ever end up doing is playing at it.

Agreed. But also worth pointing out, that folks that take the fast way to the finish wont last long if they don't get the right training. Frustration will kick in and they will give up. No matter how much passion you have for an art form, if you just keep failing you will stop trying.

The most common time for someone to give up hairdressing is when they have just qualified. A lot of the time, the training is not sufficient for life as a stylist, not in depth enough to deal with the public and their expectations. They hit problems and give up. I would have thought it is exactly the same in all our 3 trades on here. Lets face it 2 days is long enough to get a ROUGH idea of one aspect of a treatment.
Do aspiring nail techs genuinley believe they can learn a trade on a two day course? I'm asking because I cannot believe anyone really is that naive.

Do aspiring nail techs genuinley believe they can learn a trade on a two day course? I'm asking because I cannot believe anyone really is that naive.

Not those of us that are doing it!!! Tbh, I think some people have their nails done and think 'how hard can that be? This person must be minted at £25/£30 a time' ...... A good nail tech, like a good hairdresser makes it looks easy and the wealth of 1 or 2 day courses on offer just reinforce that.

I also was never closer to giving up nails than in the 6 months after my Foundation course. It was only pride and stubborness that made me keep going......

Bte, I love watching my hairdresser work and can't imagine how brave you have to be to actually cut hair, lol!

Latest posts

Back