I can learn how to do nails in five minutes ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vetty, cutting hair feels as easy as breathing to me.

Hi,

I'm very new to the industry and found this post really interesting. I'd just like to point out that most people (myself included) tend to go to college to learn nails, with the thinking that because it's a year long course (part-time I might add) that we will cover everything, and are led to believe that we will be excellent nail technicians once we qualify (after 8 months).

Upon starting acrylics and reading various posts on here it makes you realise you have so much to learn! I appreciate that with any trade it is a learning curve and you learn as you go along, but it is so difficult knowing that major parts of being educated in nails are missed out i.e prep! I started doing nails with no prep (other than dehydrating the nail plate) and they only lasted a couple of days! We haven't been shown how to remove the nails either, just told to soak them in acetone... now for people with no common sense, this could go drastically wrong!

Sorry it's a long post it's just frustrating when people think you can learn it all in a day, when most of the main points can't be learnt in nearly a year!

When you are sitting the other side of the desk, it LOOKS EASY. Like you and a lot of other people on here I came from being a client and when I used to watch my nails being done, it looked like the easiest thing in the world. Just pick up a brush and go, I guess if you don't sit and think about it and take time to really research you do think its that easy because that what it looks like.

This is an excellent topic! I done a year, fulltime on the job traineeship in Nails. I also done a 3year on the job beauty apprenticeship. I havebeen qualified in nails for 7 years now and I'm still doing courses and learning every day. Like others, I have clients that think it's 'so cool' to do nails and easy money. I live in Australia, and Here this is one of the lowest paid actual trades. I give these girls a stern talking to about only doing this job for love and not
money. I also go on to tell them how they will have
to study anatomy, skin science and product chemicals etc. This is usually enough to make them decide if it's worth it. I know there are day courses and week courses, even 8 and 12 week courses(usually only 4-8 hours a week anyways). I'm my opinion, you cannot
learn nails, or any trade in that amount of time!! Anyone who thinks they can is kidding themselves. Gah it makes me cranky! Lol

Evening Ladies, just felt an urge to reply to this post. This is the way of the world today, impatient and fast track. Companies with huge reputations are obviously happy to allow trainees to do 2 day courses to purchase products and trade with their name, i myself have recently been on a course to renew my certificate and it was not something that was easy to pass, even ladies who have been doing nails for years failed...yet newbies came in and passed with passion and flare...hats off to them id say and I wish them all the best.
There is a huge scope of different qualifications and standards within this industry and it all depends on the client to choose the level of service they require. I dont think it should be something that we should feel upset about, just have confidence in your own abilities and the results shall speak for themselves.

Over and out lol xxxxxx

Evening Ladies, just felt an urge to reply to this post. This is the way of the world today, impatient and fast track. Companies with huge reputations are obviously happy to allow trainees to do 2 day courses to purchase products and trade with their name, i myself have recently been on a course to renew my certificate and it was not something that was easy to pass, even ladies who have been doing nails for years failed...yet newbies came in and passed with passion and flare...hats off to them id say and I wish them all the best.
There is a huge scope of different qualifications and standards within this industry and it all depends on the client to choose the level of service they require. I dont think it should be something that we should feel upset about, just have confidence in your own abilities and the results shall speak for themselves.

Over and out lol xxxxxx

I totally agree I had a client whom came to me after going to a nail tech whom said she had been doing nails for 10yrs, but in my opinion unless you hsave been trained correctly it dont matter how long you doing nails. Would you get your hair cut by lady down road whom qualified 15yrs ago,, never done anymore training??

I get looked down upon all the time by know it all techs saying "blah blah blah" get my drift, lol, I find they find it intimedating that I have been in business only short time and know more about nail chemistry than them so they reply by saying"ive been doing this so many yrs" Quality over quantity I say,,

I like you am of a certain age. Though i was lucky as my family paid for me to train to CIDESCO for a year and bit.
I worked the Cruise ships, big salons as they were then called (yes im that old)
Then i have children and took years away from beauty and nails etc.
Well i knew to feel confident i needed to take several courses to return.
Im sorry hun but why would your comments go down badly?
You are just talking complete good sense
Mary (newbie)

This is a fantastic thread! I only hope all those newbie to be geeks here will read this thread thoroughly!

I totally agree that amount of years does not count unless technician undergoes regular training. It is totally wrong to think or say that we know it all. This is exactly what I love about the industry, it could be compared to say mobile phones and computers, in fact any other industry, it constantly develops, advances and moves forward. Keeps the drive and mojo up)

It is paramount to get proper training, and choose the right place togive your precious money away to someone who will always be there for you once you have completed your course, educator who will remember you as a person, what are your strong and weak sides, educator who will call you by name and give u a hug, who will give all the support you may ever need on the way to perfection. And I will tell you I have been all over the shop in the last 10 years, tried it all, converted and reconverted, bought and sold, did not get the t-shirt, most of it was a disappointment! Nothing could be worse when you look at the nails done by so-called teacher and nearly had a fit, thinking - how on earth did you become a teacher?????

And then great sense of security comes in a form of my one and only brand for now! I feel I know more, I get attention to detail, support and a good laugh) it was worth the waiting!

And it is sad that even Scratch still advertising those pseudonail schools that offer you 2 min crash course and actually the advertisement guaratees the result! Seriously!

I would say, unless a person has a passion, unless it's not a just the job it's the way of life, unless a person is prepared for constant development - they should save themselves a hassle, time and money and find something else to do!

Unfortunately there are two many places popping out of nowhere offering nails and thinking of doing it will make them a fortune - those are fools! And we should not worry about that too much as they won't get much repeat business.

So if we spread the word how it should be we will win all those disappointed clients back to us by educating them while we do their nails, so they will spread the word for us) works for me)

;)

I have been doing nails for about 7 years, started doing my own because I was not happy with nail tech I was going to, then did sisters friends and eventually paying clients.
I have found that my own training was slow, but this is the way to go, learn what you have been taught to the best of your ability before moving on to the next stage don't try to run before you can walk.

I also was never closer to giving up nails than in the 6 months after my Foundation course. It was only pride and stubborness that made me keep going......

The most common time for someone to give up hairdressing is when they have just qualified. A lot of the time, the training is not sufficient for life as a stylist, not in depth enough to deal with the public and their expectations. They hit problems and give up.

I read this thread a while ago now and have just had a read of the last few pages again, when I have a bad day re. nails, this quote always springs to mind from when I did previously read it. Its kept me focussed thinking that I don't want to be one of those that give up! The little things that stick in your mind!
I find as a novice, I often have to remind myself that the earth wasnt created in a day! I will be an amazing nail tech one day, just not today and after an awful lot more practice/education/clients! :D

This is so true what geeg has said, I don't personally do nails but I do work closely with my sister in our salon an I have to say I admire what she does 100%, I can't speak for other brands but the training creative gives is excellent, the knowledge my sister has about nails is amazing, I'm not using this to big her up but I do have to say from watching her train to now, nails is an artform and a very skilled profession, big thumbs up to all you nail techs. xx

I am currently taking my nvq 2 in beauty therapy with the carlton institute. you go in and get taught what you need to know regarding the practical work and then you do the rest as home study, returning for assessment when this is complete.

So far, the course is fulfilling my needs and I am hoping to pass asap (i'm working very hard and began the course in april this year).

I am hoping to pass asap though because I would like to be ready to take my nvq 3 in beauty therapy at a college course beginning in september.

I am happy with the distance learning nature of the course I am currently doing and I would say, if you think you can do it, go for it. But, what I would also say is that sometimes I feel I am not as confident as I would like to be in treatments as I don't carry them out under supervision and thus don't recieve feedback.

I am told to pass the qualification, as long as I do things with health and safety in mind and within the right time and include all the necessary steps then I will pass. I'll be very very very happy if so but for the more complex treatments that I wish to learn, I am hoping to do so at a college.

So my view is a balanced one whereby fast track courses are great if you've not got the resources to attend a more extended course but they are limited in terms of the hands on help you're probably going to need to become confident in carrying out the more complex treatments.

I have to say i am pretty saddened by some of the posts on this thread which are really quite snobbish to new techs - yes we may have done "cheap" courses in comparrison to what others have done but that doesnt mean we dont care about the service we offer and it certainly doesnt mean we think "doing nails" is an easy option.

Most of us have had very demanding careers/full time mothers and are just looking for a different direction in life and flexibility to fit around family comitments and willing to put in the work to be successful. Its only once on the jouney you learn who are the best eductors, which products are best etc, so cut us some slack and support new techs not sit there and have a go!

I would also like to point out that these quick courses that are so readily available are run by competetant nail techs, so maybe they are the ones "looking to earn a quick buck" and perhaps are the ones people on here should be pointing the finger at.

Us newbies come on here for advice and tips but most importantly some friendly support, so cut us some slack and maybe think back to your ealy days when you were in the same position as us.

I have to say i am pretty saddened by some of the posts on this thread which are really quite snobbish to new techs - yes we may have done "cheap" courses in comparrison to what others have done but that doesnt mean we dont care about the service we offer and it certainly doesnt mean we think "doing nails" is an easy option.

Most of us have had very demanding careers/full time mothers and are just looking for a different direction in life and flexibility to fit around family comitments and willing to put in the work to be successful. Its only once on the jouney you learn who are the best eductors, which products are best etc, so cut us some slack and support new techs not sit there and have a go!

I would also like to point out that these quick courses that are so readily available are run by competetant nail techs, so maybe they are the ones "looking to earn a quick buck" and perhaps are the ones people on here should be pointing the finger at.

Us newbies come on here for advice and tips but most importantly some friendly support, so cut us some slack and maybe think back to your ealy days when you were in the same position as us.

I think this is way over the top as a reaction. All we do all day on this site is help newbies ffs.

This whole thread was started to help newbies not to make the mistakes that so many have made and are still making with education.

We point the finger all the time at those trying to make the quick buck offering quick courses ... you should look around the site a bit and read some of the many threads about it before condemning this site wrongly.

For 10 years this site has offered friendly support and seen hundreds of newbies go on to run successful business. It is a fantastic community here on salon geek.

Finally it is not the only option 'once on the journey' to learn who the good educators and companies are ... people can learn it right here and avoid mistakes and wasting their money. They can find out anything they need to know right here on salon geek.

If just some of the posts on this LONG LONG thread seem to you to be a bit snobbish ... then those who have made them are as entitled to their opinion as you are. Most of us here are also wives and mothers of both large and small families and many of us have also had demanding and successful careers before, during and after nails. Like any other job, nails as a profession is full time vocational and demanding and doesn't fit easily around the family unless it is a 'hobby' or part time commitment.

Bit of a contradiction, but hey ho, seems youre only entitled to an opinion if its what people want to hear.

Nails is a career and demands commitment but lets not kid ourselves that it is as demanding on your time as working 8hrs a day for someone else, struggling to find child care for children who are sick or off school - thats what's good about nails - working for yourself - the flexibility to fit work in around other commitments when necessary.
Thats why so many people choose this career, not because its easy so give us some respect as individuals with enough courage to go out there and try something new!

Bit of a contradiction, but hey ho, seems youre only entitled to an opinion if its what people want to hear.

Nails is a career and demands commitment but lets not kid ourselves that it is as demanding on your time as working 8hrs a day for someone else, struggling to find child care for children who are sick or off school - thats what's good about nails - working for yourself - the flexibility to fit work in around other commitments when necessary.
Thats why so many people choose this career, not because its easy so give us some respect as individuals with enough courage to go out there and try something new!

Nails as a 'hobby to fit around family' is as flexible as you want it to be .. nails as a profession is as demanding as any of the most demanding jobs there are --- talking about respect :D where is the respect form you regarding the real professional?? Most professional salons are open 5 days a week ... in my case it was 6 days a week and from 8am until 8pm (officially) and mostly longer by the time the salon was cleaned and put to bed for the night. Then I often worked after that doing accounts or planning for the next promotion etc. So .. I'm not kidding myself about how demanding the job is (I think you may be)..
I had 5 children and and a live in mother in law at the height of my salon days (thank god for family support in a job like having a nails only salon). In fact without family support it is impossible to run a successful professional salon. Quite allot easier for a part time hobby tech.

As for your first silly sentence perhaps taking a little longer to read my post will show why it was so silly. I'll make it easy for you.

f just some of the posts on this LONG LONG thread seem to you to be a bit snobbish ... then those who have made them are as entitled to their opinion as you are.

Where do you think every nail tech started?? We all started by trying nails as something new ... and we all have plenty of respect for that .... just not for those who view our profession with such contempt and believe it is so easy that they actually think that they can become even close to competent or professional in 2 days.

FYI i have never attended a 2 day course and i wouldnt expect to be as competant as someone who has spent a large part of the career training and studying nails.

I dont want to spend my future years devoting my life to the art of nails, but that doesnt mean i cannot be good at what i do and it doesnt mean i am inferior.

I can appreciate there is alot to learn and you never stop learning, but this isnt brain surgery is it??!!

The contridiction was that you said this site here for newbies to support them but then go on to criticise.

Anyway im surprised you have time to post on here what with nails being so very very demanding!

FYI i have never attended a 2 day course and i wouldnt expect to be as competant as someone who has spent a large part of the career training and studying nails.

I dont want to spend my future years devoting my life to the art of nails, but that doesnt mean i cannot be good at what i do and it doesnt mean i am inferior.

I can appreciate there is alot to learn and you never stop learning, but this isnt brain surgery is it??!!

The contridiction was that you said this site here for newbies to support them but then go on to criticise.

Anyway im surprised you have time to post on here what with nails being so very very demanding!

I haven't criticised anything or anyone but, the short courses which is what this thread was all about if I'm not mistaken.

And if you had read my profile you would see that I am now retired from salon life and live in Spain so I have time to spend here teaching on this site and giving the benefit of my 25+ years experience to the new ones who need it and appreciate it. Those who don't, do not have to read it or respond to it.

Not brain surgery, of course, but in it's own way just as difficult and exacting and can be taken to an incredibly high professional level or ... not. Depends on determination, dedication, passion and an artists mentality plus allot of business sense and an affinity with people. Fail on anyone of those and one will fail on the lot.

Im aware it can be taken to a very high level, but thats kind of my whole point. Those of us who do not want to are still capable of producing good nails and still care about what we do.

Of course the advice on here is fab, but the unhelpful critism is upsetting when you are generalising me and others, as young girls who couldnt give a monkeys.

I am signing off now, feeling bit weary after all this!!

Great thread and although I agree with a majority of what has been said just wanted to add my point of view.

I would love to see the companies offering the world after 5 days brought to task for almost conning people out of money but I would also like to see tutors checked regularly for their commitment in what they do.

I'll be honest and say my decision to add nails to my list of salon treatments was more because I always thought they were my weakest point and therefore didnt "love" them like everything else I offer and I hoped by doing the course I would not only be able to add them to my list of treatments but would become passionate about them.

So after lots of thought and consideration, I decided that being of the more mature side of life ;), I would go for a 14 week course at a local college (slow & steady approach) of which being only slightly short of a grand was certainly not the cheap option.

My tutor may have been there in body, but I certainly don't think she was there in spirit. She mostly went through the motions, we were not shown how to re-balance, how to do pink & whites (because tips were much easier!) And we were given answer pages to go with our assignments, probably because she couldnt be bothered to check them only to give them back for corrections then have to check them again.

This women not only ran a successful salon, worked at the college in the day time but also ran my evening class and I really feel her motive in my class were money not passion for nails and producing good nail techs.

Nine months on my hearts sinks when a client rings for nails but still desperate to be good, I brought into Shellac and went on the Shellac Attack training for which I am entirely grateful.

It was there I met the lovely Liza Smith CND educator who has taken the time to listen to my grieviances and advised me to go on a CND conversion course with her where she will be entirely honest with me, and advise me on whether I need to go back to basics or for a more advanced course. She said she thinks that because I had no faith in my training that I have no faith in my ability (which even if that turns out not to be the case and I am infact really rubbish!) at least she has given me the confidence to try.

So some are talking about needing passion to be a successful nail tech but if you pay for a course and turn up with all the enthusiasm in the world and are faced with a tutor who is there purely for the money, I think that is just as bad as a company promising everything is 5 days.

Latest posts

Back