I love L&P but HATE the smell! Any Gel recommendations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
I converted to acrylic last year and i LOVE IT! i use NSI or Ezflow, wonderfull products, but all acrylic comes with a potent smell. Ive had a bad chest lately and im wondering......So anyway, id like to test a gel out for now to see if the acrylic is affecting me, or even just change back to gel for the hell of it.

Some things i love about acrylic:
* Much quicker to do a set *Soak off no evil buffing * Easy apex building
* no Uv curing times * no running into side walls by accident

So with some of those things about happening in my previous gel use, im worried about them happening again.

Also, gel used to lift so bad on me, but acrylic doesnt....is that common?

Could anyome recommend a good gel and application method to avoid the above? Obviously i will never avoid the buffing off and i dont want to use an electric file.......if anyone can solve this problem ILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :D

And no, i wont keep both acrylic and gel, its one or the other.

I converted to acrylic last year and i LOVE IT! i use NSI or Ezflow, wonderfull products, but all acrylic comes with a potent smell. Ive had a bad chest lately and im wondering......So anyway, id like to test a gel out for now to see if the acrylic is affecting me, or even just change back to gel for the hell of it.

Some things i love about acrylic:
* Much quicker to do a set *Soak off no evil buffing * Easy apex building
* no Uv curing times * no running into side walls by accident

So with some of those things about happening in my previous gel use, im worried about them happening again.

Also, gel used to lift so bad on me, but acrylic doesnt....is that common?

Could anyome recommend a good gel and application method to avoid the above? Obviously i will never avoid the buffing off and i dont want to use an electric file.......if anyone can solve this problem ILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! :D

And no, i wont keep both acrylic and gel, its one or the other.

I trained with Bio Sculpture soak off gel, it doesn't have nasty smells & you can extend with it too.
It is not a cheap gel by any means but I do think you can tell the quality when you use it & it has a very good reputation.

I am using reveal gel by nail harmony I am usually a acrylic girl bit for the past 6 weeks I been wearing gels no lifting no problems at all. It also cures quickly if used with an led lamp 30 seconds in fact. X

I was under than impression that soak off gel is not strong enough for extensions? I may be wrong or this may have changed.

NSI Balance is fabulous... if you like the NSI acrylic I am sure you'll like their new gel range x They do cheap tester kits & tutorials x

I do use soak off gel but not with extensions, you cant keep up the long wear of the tip because if you soak off the colour for a colour change or due to lifting, you desolve the tip, right?? Also, theyre just not tough enough for some.

I dont like NSI balance :/ I did like ezflow gel it though from what i remember, but the filing is horrible.

Cant afford an LED lamp at moment, id love one though! x

Ive never tried Ezflow.

I know what you mean about the filing, the only thing worse is filing MMA.

I use an electric file went on a training course first and only use it to take the bulk off... xxx

I use EZFlow soak off gel and i love it! I used to do just acrylic, then bought in gel aswel and thats all i do now :)
My clients prefer the look of gel, they seem to last longer and look nicer for longer. I can also extend with gels, can use white tips and clear gel or natural tips with pink and white gel or a coloured gel.
EZFlow have fab range of colours and brilliant customer service so would definitely recommend!

Enjoy hun :)

Kayleigh xx

With regard to colour, i explain to my clients that they can change colour only if they go darker so the colour underneath does not show through..but if wanted to go lighter then would need to soak off the whole set :)

Kayleigh x

If you are already using NSI acrylic, why not try their Balance Gel range.

I use NSI (acrylic, Polish Pro, Balance gel) and fine them all to be great.

I used to lift with gel too and acrylic and I blamed the product for years UNTIL, I watched Holly's cuticle video and I went straight out and bought a curette and now I get no lifting......so it was me after all, not prepping well enough by getting ALL the cuticle off.

If you do try the Balance gels, one word of advice is, go for their new body builder gels, they are much thicker and easier to work with and keep their shape easier.

Sorry, I missed your post about not liking the Balance.

Why didn't you like it??
I find it hard wearing, doesn't yellow, stays shiny, is easy to remove and file and just generally love it....I love the colour range too!!

But in saying all that, I didn't like it as much until they bought out the body builder gel, cause the older gel was too runny and hard to work with but the new gels are just great.

At the risk of being accused of bias etc I will still tell you, that you should at least look and try Brisa gels if you can make the opportunity.

Brisa is a gorgeous gel to work with. Easy to apply, holds it's shape, superb clarity and never yellows. There is a wide range of options including masking colours, opaques, clears and whites, metallics and glitters.

I do think you need to be aware that odour itself is not harmful nor does it indicate something is harmful either. Many substances that will kill you are odourless in fact.

Gels still release vapours even if you cannot smell them so you still need to take the same precautions as with L&P in regards to ventilation and clean air.

If you wipe your acrylic brush on paper while you are working, then this practise alone releases a huge amount of vapour and therefore smell in your working area. Wiping is the largest source of vapour and you should avoid doing it or manage it better by wiping on a damp gauze pad.

Dampen your gauze pad with your sanitiser and place to one side as your wiping pad. The slight dampness will draw any monomer odour into the pad and reduce the smell hugely. I'm sure you know about using metal bins and putting caps on dap pen dishes, which will also reduce vapour levels.

Good luck with your choice and don't forget to have a look at Brisa Gels. With the CND Uv lamp you would also be set up for Shellac and any other new and exciting things CND will be introducing in the future. The lamp also cures 5 fingers at a time which saves at least 10 minutes on the service time. All good stuff!

I was under than impression that soak off gel is not strong enough for extensions? I may be wrong or this may have changed.

NSI Balance is fabulous... if you like the NSI acrylic I am sure you'll like their new gel range x They do cheap tester kits & tutorials x
Soak off gel and a gel polish are not the same. ;)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Soak off gel and a gel polish are not the same. ;)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Not really sure I get what you mean... I am not talking about polish.

I am talking about soak off gels not being strong enough for tips. If there is a brand out there that does it with tips in mind and not just as an overlay i'd love to hear about it, it would save me so much time x

I am talking about soak off gels not being strong enough for tips. If there is a brand out there that does it with tips in mind and not just as an overlay i'd love to hear about it, it would save me so much time x

I use EZFlow gel it alternative, which is a soak off gel, with tips, they are strong enough and lasts brilliantly xx

Bio Sculpture have different gels for extending too.

oooh excellent, thanks guys will look into this x

With regards to the Ezflow soak off for extending...is it really strong enough? Which ones do i need? and is there one inparticualar that i would need for extra strength?

Which Bio is for extending, i have forgotton because i never got on with it.

Im going to have to try a soak off one i think but in my experience, infills are a pain in the butt on rubbery soak off gels :/

Interesting Geeg about gel having as much vapour as l&p but not smelling :/

God i hate filing gel hard gel though, i just want an alternative. Really am scared of using an electric file, i cant be the only one out there :/.

Thanks for your help guys. x

With regards to the Ezflow soak off for extending...is it really strong enough? Which ones do i need? and is there one inparticualar that i would need for extra strength?

Which Bio is for extending, i have forgotton because i never got on with it.

Im going to have to try a soak off one i think but in my experience, infills are a pain in the butt on rubbery soak off gels :/

Interesting Geeg about gel having as much vapour as l&p but not smelling :/

God i hate filing gel hard gel though, i just want an alternative. Really am scared of using an electric file, i cant be the only one out there :/.

Thanks for your help guys. x

When just doing a natural tip, i use the clear builder gel then the normal clear over the top :)
Then with the colours i just do two thin coats over the nail and tip and this is more than strong enough..the consistancy is about the same as the builder gel.
Not sure on bio but it does have good reveiws hun.
Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Kayleigh xx

When just doing a natural tip, i use the clear builder gel then the normal clear over the top :)
Then with the colours i just do two thin coats over the nail and tip and this is more than strong enough..the consistancy is about the same as the builder gel.
Not sure on bio but it does have good reveiws hun.
Anymore questions feel free to ask.

Kayleigh xx

What is the name of the Ezflow soak off gel you use? Ive used the non soak off Gel it and thats really good, but as i say, it like to use a soak off for extenions now.

Thanks hun x

Its the 'EZFlow gel it alternative' hun. I bought the starter kit then got lots colours to add on :) xx

Latest posts

Back