IBD GelLak & CND Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I read those instructions right? You apply the base coat with a nail wipe?

So many steps to do these coloured gels .. And they are not applied like Shellac (sorry Victoria but they're not even similar)
Buff the natural nail
Apply a bonder. Let it dry
Wipe the inhibition layer off the base coat
Cure thumbs separately
Sound familiar?

I'm spoiled by the ease and simplicity of Shellac:
No buffing
No bonder
No wiping or removing of inhibition layer on base
Cure all five fingers at once (an amazing time saver)
Applies like a polish
Removes in 10 ............ really!
A no brainer in my opinion. :green:

So many steps to do these coloured gels .. And they are not applied like Shellac (sorry Victoria but they're not even similar)
Buff the natural nail
Cure thumbs separately
Sound familiar?

I'm spoiled by the ease and simplicity of Shellac:
No buffing
No bonder
No wiping or removing of inhibition layer on base
Cure all five fingers at once (an amazing time saver)
Applies like a polish
Removes in 10 ............ really!
A no brainer in my opinion. :green:

No, you don't apply the base with a nail wipe. They just suggest that you blot the base coat with a wipe because most people end up applying it too thick. And IBD wipes are like sponges, so I don't think it would work with a normal cotton round. If you can apply it thin enough, it looks kind of grainy on it's own after it cures. And this makes the color go on more smoothly.

I think the only difference between all of the new color gels and the ones we've had for years is that they are in polish-like bottles. Which is much easier than applying them out of pots. But they're not new technology, like Shellac is. They're just thinner, and remove more easily.

I do have a question about Shellac's 'no buffing' feature? Isn't that just because most nails are not shiny anyway? I mean, it you had a natural nail that had been buffed with a glossing file, wouldn't you have to hit it with a sponge buffer at least before applying Shellac?

Buff the natural nail
Cure thumbs separately
Sound familiar?

I understand what you're saying, but I didn't follow 'their' instructions exactly.
I did NOT use a 180 file on clients nails, as prep suggests.
I didn't wipe off the inhibition of the base coat.
I did things like the Shellac way, which as was told to me by the local distributor.
I use a tunnel lamp, so all 5 fingers done at the same time, didn't do thumbs separately.

Sorry, I hadn't even read the Gelac instructions that I posted above. I just googled them, and linked for the above poster. My bad for not reading them.
I applied Gelac same as my distributor told me, which was exactly how I do my Shellac, and it all turned out fine. I should have specified.
So, if you're following directions (which seem quite odd to me, looking at them now), yes, it's more complicated. But that's not how I do it.

Gelac is also quite different from a coloured gel I had tried recently, which turned out thick and applied more like 'gel' as opposed to polish like Shellac and Gelac. And the Gelac stayed put too. Mind you, haven't tested long enough to see it go beyond 2wks.

Just had a client come in today with an OLLLLLLLLD french from Oct 16th in Shellac.... NOT A SINGLE CHIP lol posting pic on my FB laters :green:
LOVE LOVE LOVE Shellac, just not pleased with stock issues and limited colours. But making do :green:

I have Gelac on me atm, it looks awful compared to shellac i have one hand applied as per shellac and one as per Gelac instructions.

Shellac hand looks terrible but slightly worse than the other hand. They are all dull and look like they have scratches all over them. And they have only been on since Sunday.

Either way they don't last 2 weeks on me they also feel very different to the shellac but try it out for yourself then you will know and see the difference its amazing the difference between things when you see them for yourself x

I have Gelac on me atm, it looks awful compared to shellac i have one hand applied as per shellac and one as per Gelac instructions.

Shellac hand looks terrible but slightly worse than the other hand. They are all dull and look like they have scratches all over them. And they have only been on since Sunday.

Either way they don't last 2 weeks on me they also feel very different to the shellac but try it out for yourself then you will know and see the difference its amazing the difference between things when you see them for yourself x

You're making absolutely no sense. WHICH is worse? First you say Gelac, then you say Shellac.
As for either not working out 2 weeks, then either A) you're application is wonky or B) you're exposing your hands to a chemical that is causing them damage.

The yellow damage is from client attempting to remove them with buffered/department store acetone like you would polish.
This is NOT a doctored photo. These belong to a client that works in retail but also in a warehouse.......................................
OBVIOUSLY, it's NOT crap!
76513_173214249373882_100000559231990_486450_3975434_n.jpg

Like I said.... NOT crap. My mom actually filed a couple of the edges on these ones because they grew too much and they STILL didn't peel/chip.
40027_143134085715232_100000559231990_313775_3992358_n.jpg

I think she meant shellac hand was better than the other hand :) I think lol.
I have loads of pics of ladies with shellac when first applied and they send me pics at 1week then 10 days then I take pic@ 2 weeks and the shine is unbelievable like day 1.

I am quite hard on my hands and shellac is the only thing EVER which has allowed me to have natural nails with free edge. It has changed alot of my clients ways of looking at their nails as alot of them now love colour and prefer shellac as opposed to l&p

I think the poster means that she has worn shellac previously and this time on both hands she has Gelac, One hand applied and per instructions for Gelac the other hand has gelac applied as per shellac instructions. Atleast thats how i read it.

Like I said.... NOT crap. My mom actually filed a couple of the edges on these ones because they grew too much and they STILL didn't peel/chip.

They wont , the capped free edge is for the cosmetic "LOOK" it is not a necessity as shellac is not a gel and dose not shrink back from the free edge ect like a gel might ,

the French ones look crazy! how long wear they on for? :eek:

We use all 3 within our salon, I am a big shellac fan and love it, however the extreme stock unavailabilty forced me into looking for other systems as i was loosing a large amount of money after heavily promoting shellac, we apply gellac and gelish exactly the same way we apply shellac, we do not buff the natural nail at all before application and it stays on just the same.

I just wish sweet squared had a consistent stock level of the products as i wouldnt of had to look elsewhere and i do understand volumes or orders were far beyond what they anticipated but I like gelish and gellac just as much as shellac and gellish in particular goes alot further as the price of the bottle compared to the size and price goes alot further!!!!!!!

They wont , the capped free edge is for the cosmetic "LOOK" it is not a necessity as shellac is not a gel and dose not shrink back from the free edge ect like a gel might ,

the French ones look crazy! how long wear they on for? :eek:

Says right on the picture, 6wks and 5days :green:
Yeah, she beat the crap out of them and they STILL stayed put.
Keeping in mind, I think it was only my third 'french' with Shellac... so I was still learning the right 'thinness' for the French to avoid wrinkling.
But 6wks? HOLY MOLY They're not the prettiest, due to my 'amateur' application AND to the battering they took at the warehouse, but I think they held up GREAT.

And I agree victoria , you can see the growth but hey that's not your fault and good on you for putting pic on

xxx

ps is there a special way you can post pics on here from your phone ??? Xxx

Jenski that is exactly what i am saying i have both the Gellac and Shellac the Gellac does the job I just think the Shellac is the better product IMO

I think she meant shellac hand was better than the other hand :) I think lol.
I have loads of pics of ladies with shellac when first applied and they send me pics at 1week then 10 days then I take pic@ 2 weeks and the shine is unbelievable like day 1.

I am quite hard on my hands and shellac is the only thing EVER which has allowed me to have natural nails with free edge. It has changed alot of my clients ways of looking at their nails as alot of them now love colour and prefer shellac as opposed to l&p

No chemicals used and Shellac certainly does not look like what i have on me atm (Gellac) after 3 weeks !!

Sorry if i confused you was comparing application technique mainly on the gellac

i have had many shellac treatments and all of them lifted and chipped....iv got ibd gelac on and some of my natrual nails have broke due to work causing the gelac to chip other then that i think they are far better then the shellac and the colours are fab!!!

I've just bought my first bottle of gelac, never used any of the curing gels before, hence I only got one bottle to see how I got on with it (still doing NVQ 2 at mo) I found it very easy to prep, apply and they looked really good when I'd done them.
I used my sister as a guinea pig, she has 2 kids under 4 so it should be a pretty good test for the gelac, have asked her to keep me posted on how they are lasting, so will keep you all posted
x x x

The gelac lasted a week on my sister which she was quite pleased with as traditional lacquer doesn't even last 24 hours with her.
I have done my own nails with gelac in french mani, but having my hands in water quite a bit, doing mani and facials) I've found my very soft natural nail is very bendy and the gel is very rigid so the gel is peeling off:confused:
Might try a full colour and see how I get on with that

i started using gelac about 4 weeks ago and ive had no good results with it yet. not sure whats going on! ive even had a rep come and demonstrate for me for a second time to make sure my technique is right...its still lasting only about 5 days on clients before cracking or peeling off. :irked:

I have trialled Shellac and Gelac, and imo Shellac wins hands down. I followed the instructions, given by IBD for Gelac, (quite a bit of faffing about). I found the product to be a lot thiner, and needed more than two coats on some of the colour to get a nice coverage, I also found that the shine was not up to my expectations, (having used Shellac for some 6 months) then some of the polish on the nails peeled off after a week. To make sure I did a fair trial, I used my usual guinea pig, whom I could trust to report the absolute truth back to me:) So for me, Shellac and CND win hands down again, as it does what it says on the tin:)

Latest posts

Back