If you could....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittone05

Reaction score
If you could offer only 1 piece of advice to a trainee tech, what would it be and why?

Thought this would maybe help to compile a list of key factors to think about for the trainees of the board :D ( including me lol)

Don't give up!! x

I would say as above dont give up. It is realy hard at first but it comes with practice-also make sure you are training with a well known top end product-start as you mean to go on xxxxxx

As a newly trained nail tech, the best piece of advice i would give.........dont worry about the length of time your taking, concentrate on the quality of your work & the time will reduce!

after my training i was always timing myself & was always about 2hrs! this frustrated the life out of me cause it only takes about 1 hour when i used to get mine done in a salon.i used to think my customers wouldnt be happy sitting for 2hrs. this also affected the quality of the nails i was producing because all i was doing was rushing!

Whenever i used to do my mums or my sisters i wouldnt look at the time cause i wasnt worried about what they'd think. The results were always so much better, there nails were perfect, my smile lines were spot on! i always felt great after it, and it was from then on i remember what i was told during my training 'once you get more confident, the time will come down' and its so true! i may only be at 1hr 45mins at the moment but im loving the end results and so are my customers! :)

never be afriad to ask your educators for advise.

For every problem and question you have seek an answer and solution,

sorry but i have 2
learning is a life long hobby :hug:

For every problem and question you have seek an answer and solution,

sorry but i have 2
learning is a life long hobby :hug:
I second that...being patient is a quality we could all possess!...sometimes it can be oh so difficult,and then one day it can click into place....i am one of those people that is still trying to "click" at some aspects,i just wish i was not a perfectionist...!

The only other point i have to say,is never to have sleepless nights over it....better said than done i know:cry:

don't try and run before you can walk :)

Treat every step as a job in itself and always take a pride in completing it to the best of your ability. Divide your service into steps, prep etc and take time and pride in each step. As you finish each step be happy and satisfied with it. Each step is as important as the other. Simples! :)

Some fab tips for us hoping to become as good as the professionals :D

Thank you for sharing :D xxx

Learn about overexposure and don't become a victim of it.
:hug:

I would also say dont give up! I never thought I would master creating lovely nails - that dont lift!!! But its amazing how after hours and hours of practise, it just clicks! xx

My advice would be: don't go out and purchase every nail tool under the sun. You'd be surprised how much you DON'T need. Stick with the basics. Good luck! :)

Mmmmm - is there an article anywhere which gives you details of the basic kit do you know hun?

I am a self confessed shop-a-holic and will happily buy every gadget under the sun haha be good to limit myself to a basic kit when I am ready to start college :D

My advice...which is maybe not for the trainee tech but more the pre-trainee tech

Get the best education you can and keep on being educated!
Or to put it another way...get the best training you can and keep on training...( do your research )

which takes me onto the the next advice which I know is against your rules but what the heck...I don't always follow the rules :hug:

Don't go hacking and cutting up your brushes!
When you answer the phone or see to the kids or something ( this is while practicing...trainee tech remember ) and leave your brush sat on the desk...to find it all ruined on your return 3 hours later because you left some product on it :eek: and instead of looking for advice decide to give it a little trim :eek:
DO learn from your mistake...and don't do it again a few weeks later...and decide to hack at it with a sharp instrument...AGAIN :eek: :rolleyes:

Don't go hacking and cutting up your brushes!
When you answer the phone or see to the kids or something ( this is while practicing...trainee tech remember ) and leave your brush sat on the desk...to find it all ruined on your return 3 hours later because you left some product on it :eek: and instead of looking for advice decide to give it a little trim :eek:
DO learn from your mistake...and don't do it again a few weeks later...and decide to hack at it with a sharp instrument...AGAIN :eek: :rolleyes:

Ah now you see, as Trinity The Brush Slayer, I have to disagree with this one :lol:

I don't even have the distraction of kids to claim as an excuse but I regularly leave product in my brush despite being really careful to clean it (obviously not careful enough) therefore, all my brushes are a little.......pruned.....lets say :lol:

That said, my tip for the new Tech is like a previous poster said, don't buy everything immediately. I have loads of stuff collecting dust and taking up space that I've never used, including a £250 airbrush kit, and about 4 drawers of nail art stuff I never use. Keep your money in your bank account until you know it's worth buying and will make you more money than it cost to buy.

Ah now you see, as Trinity The Brush Slayer, I have to disagree with this one :lol:

I don't even have the distraction of kids to claim as an excuse but I regularly leave product in my brush despite being really careful to clean it (obviously not careful enough) therefore, all my brushes are a little.......pruned.....lets say :lol:

That said, my tip for the new Tech is like a previous poster said, don't buy everything immediately. I have loads of stuff collecting dust and taking up space that I've never used, including a £250 airbrush kit, and about 4 drawers of nail art stuff I never use. Keep your money in your bank account until you know it's worth buying and will make you more money than it cost to buy.

So it's not just a trainee thing then??? :eek:
It's going to keep on happening... double???????? and double :eek::eek:

***** Actually I want to back track.... my advice wasn't stated clearly enough....

My advice was don't HACK at your brushes in a Trinity Bush Slayer way....or a Mercedes Massacre way....

my advice is that there is a way to SAVE your brushes...without the need for sharp instruments!

So yes you might always be a numpty and not clean your brushes thoroughly or be distracted for a period of time....but there is a way to save those precious brushes....DON'T HACK....

So thats my long winded and completely utter waste of time advice :lol:

OK strike the brush advice....lol

My advice would then be...BUY lots of brushes...you will need them!!!!!

I have bought a set of Kolinsky brushes and admit to already buying LOTS of nail art stuff but I do a lot of nail art with polish for friends and on myself already so I can justify that lol

I am a bit of a collector to be honest - if I like something then I will buy it or if a gadget catches my eye, it usually ends up being mine lol

I am okay space wise as I have a room that is my own to fill however I choose lol It currently houses my embroidery machine and my parrots but once the aviary is built then the parrots who live indoors will have more room and the sewing machine is povisionally sold :D

Mmmmm - is there an article anywhere which gives you details of the basic kit do you know hun?

I am a self confessed shop-a-holic and will happily buy every gadget under the sun haha be good to limit myself to a basic kit when I am ready to start college :D

I'm the same way...that's why I've accumulated so much stuff I don't NEED. One item I personally don't feel is a need is a tip cutter. They are expensive and a toe nail cutter works just as well. :)

Oooops I already have pink and silver ones of them - and probably black ones too lol MY excuse for that is that my hubby ALWAYS steals anything remotely tool like that I have so he can use it for his DIY lol

Latest posts

Back