im gutted.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberley0699

Reaction score
I appologise in advance for this depressing rant but need to tell someone......

Just had a call from the Hairdresser who owns the salon where I do nails. A client whos nails I did on Saturday has gone in to see her. Apparently her nails (L&P sculpted) are in a real mess and have all lifted, are the wrong shape and one is cracked.
I just cant understand it because, to be honest, her nails were actually one of the best sets I have ever done! I made sure that they were THOROUGHLY prepped, the shape was exactly how she wanted them (and I asked her several times if they were OK, as she told me she wasnt good at talking up and telling people how she wanted things), everything was fine. She was so happy with them when I had finished, as was I.
Then to top it off the hairdresser (I will get to her in more detail in a bit) said that she (unqualified to do nails and pretty damn rubbish at them too - ive seen hers) has had to file them for her because they were all the wrong shape!??! What!?! She has told her to either return on Saturday when im next there for her money back or go and buy some acetone and soak them off herself.
I told the hairdresser that without me even seeing the nails I cant comment on how this may have happened etc. Apparently the client said that she hates them and cant do for them to be on any longer (so doubt she will be back on saturday). No one else's nails I do have this problem, and I do my own and they are fine. But, the hairdresser says that this lady "hates to complain" (she was actually really nice) and offered to call me and tell me on behalf of her.

Now for the hairdresser - who insists on doing her own nails and they look a STATE. She asks me how she has done and I try really hard to give her some good points, and then gently suggest she lets me have a go. She is really nice - especially to her clients, which at the end of the day I am one of (I actually approached her about doing nails on a saturday). Then she tries to almost put me down to clients. She says things like "oh, I dont know why you would choose to sculpt nails, tips are so much better, I can do them so easily". All this in front of clients. Then I find myself having to justify why I prefer to sculpt (strength, cost etc). Who knows what she has said to the lady who came back.

Somehow, I can see this all ending in tears. Its a shame because I dont NEED to be there doing nails. I work full time in another job which I also like (lucky I know), but at the end of the day my passion is nails. I do the nails at her salon because I enjoy it.

Sorry guys, I just feel really bummed out about going back there now. Thanks for listening.... well, reading.

Thats a bit rough - have a hug first :hug:

It's not right that the Hairdresser is not supporting you, the nails may have been awful (not saying there were!) but she should never say that, she's not qualified to make that judgement. How would she feel if you criticised her hairdressing skills after she'd finished a do :evil:

Is there no way you can see your client yourself this evening or tomorrow rather than make her wait until Saturday,or do something daft like bite them all off - surely it would be worth making a quick visit to resolve it in your favour? It would also take back some of the control from your Hairdresser friend.

It sounds like a conversation needs to be had with her about the line between your clients and hers, it will be hard to do, but stay calm and friendly - go along the lines of you feel unsupported by her, rather than she's annoying you, but that support doesn't involve her rectifying problems, that's your job.

Sorry I can't help much apart from listen :hug:

Trin
xx

thanks for that - needed the hug!

I dont think I would dare say anything bad about her hairdressing - not only is it not my place and very rude - but she does my hair! There could be some angry chopping on her part very easily!!

Dont think I will even get chance to see the nails. What with the go buy acetone and soak of advice from hairdresser and the apparent "cant bear to have them on any longer" comment from the client. GGgrrrr, sooo mad!!

I think if nothing else comes from this, the hairdresser is going to have to learn that my clients come through ME not her. They even phone her for bookings at the moment. I have told her I like to allow 2 hours for a set (takes me about 1 hour 45, but I like to not have to panic), but she just tells the client what they want to hear - then I have to explain when they arrive.

hi
i agree with trin, you need to bite the bullet and have a calm and friendly chat with the hairdresser.
keep your chin up and keep up the good work, dont let her get you down.

Kimberley0699 said:
Dont think I will even get chance to see the nails. What with the go buy acetone and soak of advice from hairdresser and the apparent "cant bear to have them on any longer" comment from the client. GGgrrrr, sooo mad!!

You must have a client record card or contact number, call her if nothing else and chat it through - she'll probably appreciate the effort

Don't upset the Hairdresser too much, angry chopping of hair is never going to end well, you're right :lol:

Bless you :hug:

Kimberley0699 said:
I appologise in advance for this depressing rant but need to tell someone......

Just had a call from the Hairdresser who owns the salon where I do nails. A client whos nails I did on Saturday has gone in to see her. Apparently her nails (L&P sculpted) are in a real mess and have all lifted, are the wrong shape and one is cracked.
I just cant understand it because, to be honest, her nails were actually one of the best sets I have ever done! I made sure that they were THOROUGHLY prepped, the shape was exactly how she wanted them (and I asked her several times if they were OK, as she told me she wasnt good at talking up and telling people how she wanted things), everything was fine. She was so happy with them when I had finished, as was I.
Then to top it off the hairdresser (I will get to her in more detail in a bit) said that she (unqualified to do nails and pretty damn rubbish at them too - ive seen hers) has had to file them for her because they were all the wrong shape!??! What!?! She has told her to either return on Saturday when im next there for her money back or go and buy some acetone and soak them off herself.
I told the hairdresser that without me even seeing the nails I cant comment on how this may have happened etc. Apparently the client said that she hates them and cant do for them to be on any longer (so doubt she will be back on saturday). No one else's nails I do have this problem, and I do my own and they are fine. But, the hairdresser says that this lady "hates to complain" (she was actually really nice) and offered to call me and tell me on behalf of her.

Now for the hairdresser - who insists on doing her own nails and they look a STATE. She asks me how she has done and I try really hard to give her some good points, and then gently suggest she lets me have a go. She is really nice - especially to her clients, which at the end of the day I am one of (I actually approached her about doing nails on a saturday). Then she tries to almost put me down to clients. She says things like "oh, I dont know why you would choose to sculpt nails, tips are so much better, I can do them so easily". All this in front of clients. Then I find myself having to justify why I prefer to sculpt (strength, cost etc). Who knows what she has said to the lady who came back.

Somehow, I can see this all ending in tears. Its a shame because I dont NEED to be there doing nails. I work full time in another job which I also like (lucky I know), but at the end of the day my passion is nails. I do the nails at her salon because I enjoy it.

Sorry guys, I just feel really bummed out about going back there now. Thanks for listening.... well, reading.
Hi!
So sorry to hear about this hope things get sorted out soon for you and all is OK!its not nice when you work so hard on someones nails and do such a good job and then hear this from someone else.:evil: i do hope you feel better soon and do keep doing really nice nails,have a big huge :hug: from me to help you feel better.

Its bad coz I know Im heading into a mine field with her - I have spoken to her assistant (by the way I do her nails and they are fine too!) and the stuff the hairdresser has said to her infront of clients would make your hair curl!! I just think she is lacking in staff management skills..... although Im not her actual staff I should add.

Also - she has had a few nail tech's renting space from her and none of them lasted very long..... hmmm... suspicious.

Just had another thought - I told my client to come to ME with problems - not the hairdresser (made sure she had my card and aftercare advice).

That settles it - im going over there after work.

good luck hun! let us know how it goes x

Kimberley0699 said:
That settles it - im going over there after work.

How did it go??

Im back and boy is there gonna be some steam coming off this keyboard!

Went to the hairdressers on my way home from work. She said that my client had been in to see her this aft (yes her, the hairdresser, not me, the nail tech) and all her nails had lifted "really badly", one was cracked and the client hated the shape of them. I would just like to say - remember when I said earlier I had repeatedly asked the client if she was happy with their shape (she made a big point of wanting oval nails, so thats what she got - lovely, perfect oval nails)! Anyway, the hairdresser had taken it upon herself to take "a whole hour to put them right with a file" and apparently the client had wanted "square-oval" and "even her daughter had told her that this is not what extensions are supposed to look like". I said to the hairdresser - well you saw them before she left and they were gorgeous right? Then she bluntly said, well actually i didnt like them!!!!!!! I could have strangled her then and there but I held it together (just). When the client was in having them done she said they were lovely!
When she commented about the lifting I told her how long I had spent on prep (25 minutes!!!! Im soooo scared that my nails would ever lift I get a little over excited with the prep! And yes, have read tutorials a million times, and am confident im doing everything right.). This is why I cant quite believe that they could have lifted.... ever!! The hairdresser tells me shes booked her in on Saturday for a soak off and manicure (remember before she told me they were so bad she had advised her to buy acetone and soak off herself?!!).

So, I get home... fuming mad... and wait patiently... until my heart stops beating ...and my face returns to a less red with anger shade.... and I ring the client. WELL.... apparently one nail had cracked the day after I did them - on further questioning it was her right index finger, say no more. They had all lifted... which I am gonna have to see with my own eyes! She wouldnt comment on the shape even though I hinted. I said "so youre booked in for a soak off on sat, are you sure you want a soak off and not for me to have another go?" the client says she will let me know which she wants if thats OK! So they cant be THAT bad?! Or she would run a mile!?!

I have come to the conclusion that with this and everything else she does to p*** me off, this hairdresser has something fishy going on with her staff relations. I have my mate on standby for this saturday, and after I have done my appointments shes going to help me remove my stuff. I really dont think I want to stick around to watch things get worse and me end up REALLY hating her guts. I know that I am happy with the nails that I produce, and my clients (except from this one!) are happy with my nails - its just HER.... the untrained one!
I will just think myself lucky that I am happy enough with my other job not to have to rely on this one.
Dont get me wrong - I WILL NEVER GIVE UP NAILS... just will be doing them closer to home from now on.

Thanks for listening you guys - can you tell my boyf is out at football so I have no one to talk to?!

Hi

Oh my word what a situation you are in here! you poor thing. First thing i would advise is that you stay calm and very professional and show this lady (the hairdresser) how professionals handle themselves in the work place.

This way you will show her up without even trying. I would extricate yourself from the situation as things can only get worse as you get busier.

Its really the last thing you need when trying to get your name and reputation known in the area. However do try to leave on good terms so she wont start bad mouthing you. Just explain that you don't feel it will work out or something, no need to make an enemy of her! Just class it as a lesson leaned.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Kim, you sound as if you have acted professionally here so far, just remember, not every has the same standards as you. Decide whether you want to or can work with this woman or cut your losses short FAST! These are great times for this industry as the beauty industry as a whole in growing fast. Try to leave on a good footing, charm her even if you feel like killing her, don't give her any opportunity to call you anything, just say it is time to move on.

Good luck, imo, don;t waste anymore time, use the time to restructure your time and move on.

Cathy

Hi Kim

I was so sorry to read about the treatment you have received from this woman, who is (I assume you pay her rent), you business associate....I hope you can move on from this situation and move on to a NEW business arrangement, where there is some trust and support.

I believe that a hair salon is a great place to set up, you have a captive audience and although it's still a hard slog, you are in a great position to get bums on seats.

I work 3 days in a lovely hair salon and I have the full support of the owners that I rent from and their staff. I have been doing their nails from day 1 and they fully supported me, through the early days of lifting, perfecting my technique and the sometimes dodgy sets which used to happen from time to time!!

On the rare instances that a client has complained to them, they have fully supported me as they know that my nails don't just fall off or lift for no apparent reason.

I hope that your experience hasn't put you off and that you can move on and seek out a business arrangement which includes mutual trust, there are some out there, so don't loose heart.

First of all :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

The only thing I can say is that the hairdresser must be jealous of the work that you produce - otherwise why would any professional be so unprofessional to a colleague?

You obviously have a much more mature and professional approach to business than she does. As an ex-employer I would always, and I repeat ALWAYS!!! back up a fellow professional in front of a member of the public (I may have a few words to say in private to my colleague but in public we must always stick together).

Judging by what you have said I think that you would be better off without her - so believe in youself and keep doing the great nails that you are doing !!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and I'm thinking of you. :Love:

Oh Mate! I didn't want it all to get out of hand - I must admit though, part of me is relieved you've decided to leave the arrangement.

Anyone who is not supporting you is working against you and you deserve better :hug:

Put it down to experience, next time you work out of someone's salon you'll know how to set the ground rules before hand so it doesn't happen again.

Hope you still manage to hang on to a friend and hairdresser though - keep us updated on how it goes.

Trin
xx

Hiya, i have been reading about all this and what can i say that hasnt been said already...you have been so good about it all, i am sure i would have got upset and made a complete fool outta myself. well done for keeping it together and to be honest i would get out of there myself. can just imagine one of her clients coming back cos she wasnt happy with her hair cut and you saying "yeah no probs take a seat i'll go and get my scissers, i'm not trained but hey it cant be that hard"

Hugs and respect to you babes. xxx

Firstly this hairdresser isn't your friend and if you work for yourself, isnt your boss.so treat her accordingly if not your boss. secondly, how would she feel if you contradicted her techniques? She is acting very unproffessional and obviously knows bugger all about nails to be brutally honest! L&P is a 90+% solid structure therefore, needs nothing to support it. Creative L&P and retention+ is KERATIN BONDING and if you de bulk your tips and blend till you can't tell its there will be just as strong as your sculpted nails I actually prefer to sculpt it looks much more natural! She shouldn't have told YOUR client anything and should have shown more loyalty to you and asked her to wait for YOUR PROFFESSIONAL OPPINION FIRST. I can't say you'll be staying long where you are. It sounds to me like your client has somewhat abused her enhancements. (not forgetting it takes upto 3 mins to "set" and 24-48 hrs to fully polymerise/cure. you dont know what she did in that first 48hrs of wearing them?? did you ask this client if she had hobbies? her job/lifestylePersonally, I would find a place where your more appreciated and given the situation. would refuse her money back. Let the hairdresser pay if she took the decision out of your hands first.Let us know what happens. On a happier note, WE LOVE YOU!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Awww, thank you so much everyone. I knew I could rely on you lot to cheer me up. Couldnt sleep last night because I was so down about it all, but after reading your comments this morning, I have decided to cheer up.

I will go in on Sat, do whatever the client wants done be it a soak off and manicure or another set (and I think if she wants another set, im going to have to make her cough up again). There will be no refunds as she hasnt come back to me (but a free soak off and manicure if she wants it). Then im going to take my stuff - may just say I need it for something else if I cant pluck up the guts to say what I need to say, as clients will be there. Then I will phone her in the week to tell her I wont be back as its not working out.

The thing is, im not having her bad mouth me to clients like this. Not after all my money, time and training.

Thanks again chaps.... I will let you know if theres any more drama on Saturday!

dreadful woman....cant understand people like, but then i like the world to be a happy place:biggrin:, Get yourself out of there and start fresh awaw from mrs negativity!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put it down to a learning curve!

Amb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back