impetigo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louwesley

Reaction score
Here's a quick question for all you aromatherapists! i practice aromatherapy and am after some quick advice whilst i have my client here! She has awful impetigo around the mouth it's really sore i have suggested some aqueous cream to take away the custiness of the scabs and tea tree oil plus lavender to help get rid of the infection. Any other ideas? many thanks in advance

If it IS impetigo then she will need antibiotics from her GP, impetigo is highly contageuos and is a contra indication to any beauty treatment.:)

yep already on antibiotics but face is a complete mess and am searching for ways to treat above the skin aswell as from with in

TBH I wouldnt advise you put anything on it, she should just stick to what the Dr has given her, it does take a while for it to clear up but if she leaves it alone it does go away completly. If it s really bad then maybe advise she goes back and speaks to her GP, but I really dont think that there is alot you can do hun.:hug:

I've done a quick search and this is the most popular remedy (to be used as well as antibiotics:
12 drops lemongrass and 12 drops patchouli in an aloe gel base.
Lemongrass is a powerful antiseptic and bactericide. Patchouli is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in effects. It is also a fungicidal that has healing effects on fungal infections.

i agree i wouldnt advise putting anything extra, then what the doctors given her to apply to the area. not only will she cross infect your oils, but also the skin is open and likely to respond differently to the rest of the skin.

i would say when the crusts have droped off and the is healed and not open, then to apply oils to speed up healing process, and help with scaring like lavender as you mentioned.

hth
Danielle

I have had impetigo before. I used a cream called fucidin on the skin affected, this was prescribed by the doctor. Personally I wouldnt advise putting anything on it, it could make it worse. It is highly contagious! and takes at least two weeks to heal. It is a horrile looking virus and made me feel pretty rough. Hope your client recovers well.

Julie

You have to be very careful here ,you should not be mixing anything up for anyone to take away with out a license especially if you are selling it i know it sounds petty but thats the law and you can get yourself in trouble.

i'm not going to give her any of my oils etc as wouldn't want a come back on myself she just wants advice as the impetigo is all around her mouth and hasn't eaten for three days or so as it's too painful! plus embarassing. i've sent the client away but will ring her tomorrow with all your suggestions. many thanks

i'm not going to give her any of my oils etc as wouldn't want a come back on myself she just wants advice as the impetigo is all around her mouth and hasn't eaten for three days or so as it's too painful! plus embarassing. i've sent the client away but will ring her tomorrow with all your suggestions. many thanks

I can appreciate that you want to help her, but in all honesty this really needs to be fully treated by her GP. As already mentioned, I would not advise her to put anything on the impetigo except what is prescribed by her doctor.

I have had impetigo before. I used a cream called fucidin on the skin affected, this was prescribed by the doctor. Personally I wouldnt advise putting anything on it, it could make it worse. It is highly contagious! and takes at least two weeks to heal. It is a horrile looking virus and made me feel pretty rough. Hope your client recovers well.

Julie

Sorry Julie :hug: but can I just add that impetigo is not a virus but a bacterial infection caused by staphylococcus or streptococcus. It needs to be treated with antibiotics of which Fusidin is one.

Hello there

I am a fully qualified Aromatherapist of 4 years.

I was just reading the thread and my advise is leave well alone impertigo is VERY contagous skin condition that takes time to heal.

The client should be going to her GP for antibotics like everyone else has said

Aromatherapy oils are good but with this problem which is a contra - indication after all should not be used as well as it being VERY contagious it can spread rapidly all over the face if NOT treated in the appropriate way.

you said you Practice Aromatherapy?

how long have you been doing Aromatherapy?
What qualifation do you have?

I only ask these questions because if you are a fully qualified therapist then you would know about this when you did your A&P?

And after all us therapists are only therapists we are not doctors and can only ask the client to be reffered to a GP and once everything has cleared the GP will give consent for the client to have treatments, but while she has this problem no treatment should be carried out.

hope this helps:)

I have to agree with everyone else here. Impetigo is NOT something you should be giving professional advice about, this should be treated fully by her GP.

Personally I'd stay well clear!! My daughter had this several years ago and I know how contagious it is.

Was she in your salon? Anything that she touched, door handles, chairs etc will have to be thoroughly disinfected to prevent cross-infection to yourself and your other clients! This is one of those things that really does spread very easily and very fast.

thanks for your replies i was only after different peoples opinions as to what you would say, more heads and all that! Said client wasn't in salon it was mother (slight typing error!) but i did see her from a distance the day before and i have never seen such a bad case beofre. GP that she saw is awful (nitoriously old school doctor who should have retired by now. He's caused alot of problems to clients in the past which i won't go into) I have told her told her to see another doctor or our local out of hours doctor as is a very small practice in the country! but did mention fucidin. and to ask about it as she was only given pills. I have been practicing aromatherapy etc for ten years plus and never seen such a mess before advised Lavender which will help her 'feel' like she's doing something to help. thanks for your help once again

Latest posts

Back