In a predicament!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't charge to be honest but that's just my opinion. She was kind enough to give you £500 to start up. Personally i don't charge my mum or mother in law or gran or nanna. I would charge extended family such as auntie's/cousins but would give at least 10% discount. I suppose it depends on family dynamics though and im not necessarily saying you shouldn't charge her but thats just my opinion.

xx

I don't have a large family, but I have never charged. My neices and sister in law get free hair, but don't ever take the mick, and in return my brother does my electrics for free.

Hi everyone,

I have been a mobile beauty therapist for 2 years now and when i first started up my mother in law gave me £500 to help me with start up costs in return for some free manicures. 2 years on she's still not paying for any and i really need to draw a line under this and get her to start paying. Im always in an awkward position when she books in for something cuz i dont like to be confrontational about things and directly ask her to pay. All i get once ive finished her treatment is a thankyou and goodbye and im left feeling a bit put out.

Has anyone got any good ideas of how i can get her to start paying in a nice way without digruntaling my mother in law and causing tension between us?

Thanks Stacey x

I have a similar situation with my god mother she paid for me to do Hollywood lashes and paid for the training, the kit, a mag lamp n a new trolley...
In return for free eyelash extensions, she can have these done for free for life as she has helped me massively.
Also I can make money up by doing this treatment on paying clients.
Which I wouldn't have been able to do without her help in the first place.
Think back to the time you needed her, it's a good deal all round if you think about it xx

I would pay her the £500 back and then charge her a nominal fee for your products, afterall it is costing you in product!

Sometimes it is difficult to know where to draw the line with family and some will just try and push the boundaries.

Thanks for everyone's replies, i can see everyones point on this and if i had the £500 to give back i would but all the money i get has been reinvested into my business so far. I only work part time around my two young children so im not earning big bucks and thats why each time i dont get paid by her feels ouchy. I am totally grateful for what she did and the money was a gift from her which is lovely. I think what has confused me a bit is that she paid me the two times before last saying she should pay because it has been ages since she gave me the money. This raised an expectation with me that i might get paid again but yesterday all i got was a thank you and goodbye and it was slightly confusing.

If my business was booming i still wouldnt be giving freebies to family, just discounts otherwise i'd never make any money at all.

I guess when she helped you out she did it with her best intentions, it is only a 45 mins manicure and thanks to her you were able to get your business started. :wink2:

My family and my staffs immediate family all get free treatments in my salon. I guess I just would feel mean making close family members pay for treatments that lets face it don't cost an awful lot. Plus it does me a favour in my quiet times and makes the salon look busy! LOL

My view, she lent sorry "gave" you money when you needed it, I cant believe you begrudge the odd manicure. I wouldn't offer her the money back, I personally would be offended if I were your mother in law. Do her nails as an act of love, Im sure the gift was given to you from an act of love also.

Latest posts

Back