In need of a new look help me please!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello there newbie here,

I am desperate to help my boss. The salon needs a bit of a redecorate but money problems have got really bad the last few weeks. We have had let off two members of staff and another has handed in her notice. I'm only a recently qualified stylist but i really want to help as the salon also represents my work and want my clients to think they are coming to a nice salon. Can any one please give some ideas how we could give the salon a new look on a budget. Also a promotional offers ideas would be great. We are a hair and beauty salon we have two beauty rooms, spray tan room, a salon with 6 stations and a stand up sun bed. Thank you fellow salon geeks your help will be much appreciated

Leanne x x x

"two beauty rooms, spray tan room, a salon with 6 stations and a stand up sun bed." Have they bitten off more than they can chew?

Is the problem getting clients or retaining them? Do they have a website? What promo's have they/you run previously. Is the salon in a dilapidated state or is it just a lick of paint it needs?

Have you had a word with the proprietor about what plans they have? It's never a good sign when people hand in their notice, and obvously never good when people are getting laid off. Have they lost interest in the business?

Give us a bit more info on the business side of things (at least the things you're privy to) and there's lots of people on here who may have some good suggestions....

Surely the first thing to do is to give it a really through clean this will allow you to see what needs doing. Then give it a lick of paint, if you can't afford to paint all the walls choose a relaxing accent colour and only paint one wall in each room, this will also bring all the room together.

I would say the outside of the salon is also very important to think about washing down or repainting and making sure that it is presentable e.g nice window display.

The next priority would be flooring you can get a relatively cheap lino to make the whole place look fresh.

The other thing you could do is to get a luxury looking couch covers for the couches and new towels, these however can be brought very cheaply from Primark or Matalan. You could dye any towels that are looking a little bit worse for ware and then buy a few towels in a bold contrasting colour. Then use the new towels as the ones that are most visable to the client.

Changing displays in reception can also give the salon a real feel of change. Placing candles or other nice ornaments, related to the products e.g a small rolled up flannel or cleansing puffs next to body product retail items.

Get her to get a friend to take a fresh look and advise her. Less is more so a clean and tidy look are the main aims :hug:

I helped my last boss paint our reception and add a gold accent wall. It gives everyone the impression that the salon is doing well is modernising and everyone will comment on how different it looks.

How have you been getting on?

only just found this thread. If you need paint check out Don't Dump That theres bound to be a local forum for you, and I know I mention this site a lot but it's helped me out so much, I got most of my paint from there when we redcorated last year, just put a wanted ad on good luck and hope the salon is doing ok xx

There is a paint factory near me where I get all my paint, it sells paint and varnish at about 75% OFF. Have a look in your yellow pages and see if there is one near you. I painted my whole house last year for about £50.

Trish :hug:

thank you all so much for your advice the salon has really oicked up after a few adverts in the paper we had a good clean and lick of paint and has really turned things around and we have had clients that havent been in for a while return and new clients come in really enjoyin work again now thank you again though x x x:)

That is very good news, keep up the good work.

Trish :hug:

someone here mentioned a website and looking through another thread scoobydoo2 (i think) said that it is only £20 to advertise your salon on allaboutbeauty that seems like a very reasonable option to getting on the world wide web.

have you thought about sending out vouchers to old clients you haven't seen for over a year, it only needs to be a couple of quid or maybe a file and polish or better still a head massage with a facial do it when the mask is on and it takes no more of your time.

good luck with it all. I am so glad I'm not the only salon owner who hates February.

thank you all so much for your advice the salon has really oicked up after a few adverts in the paper we had a good clean and lick of paint and has really turned things around and we have had clients that havent been in for a while return and new clients come in really enjoyin work again now thank you again though x x x:)

So pleased for you, that's great. What colour did you go for? :hug:

for the salon we went for silver and black sounds different i know but looks great wit one wall wallpapered black and silver pattern both beauty rooms cream and brown and basin area 2 different blues all paint and paper we scooped up from each others houses he he doneon the very cheap just gave it a good clean and varnish floor, doors etc

I just found this thread. First I have to say that I love your attitude and you salon is lucky to have someone who's so involved and so keen to help. I'm glad to hear that things have picked up for you recently - I think January was a rubbish month for everyone with the recession and the weather.

A lick of paint on the inside or outside of the salon can make sure a huge difference and can really catch the eye of potential customers. I love fresh flowers in a salon - they look fab and give a great smell. They don't even have to be expensive to be worthwhile.

Re marketing - have you got a facebook page for the salon, a twitter account? Can you get flyers made and put up in local areas: supermaket or church noticeboards?

You should communicate with existing customers to remind them that you exist and to make them feel valued. A letter, email or text doesn't have to take a lot of time or money and can really pay off.

Have you done any special offers? At the moment everyone is looking for great value for money but it doesn't have to cost the salon a lot of money. Do a 2 for 1 special - a special rate for 2 treatments?

Can you do a referral scheme? If one of your customers recommends the salon to a friend, they get money off their next treatment or something free?

Good luck with it in the future.

Latest posts

Back