In your Salon - What Sex.......................

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitz

Reaction score
are your Stylists? In other words do you work with mainly Men or Women or do you employ mainly Men or Women?

A Guy has applied for a job in our Salon and tbh I don't know what to do. Of course like anything else there are 'fors and against'. It maybe a strange question to some but its rather strange trying to weigh it all up tbh.

what do you mean, you don't know what to do?
It's 2008 and almost 2009....
Don't tell me you are thinking of being sexist

what do you mean, you don't know what to do?
It's 2008 and almost 2009....
Don't tell me you are thinking of being sexist

Did I say that? No I don't believe I did. As I said I just wondered if there are any pro's and cons to having a Guy working in a Salon opposed to a Woman. Thats really why I asked, its nothing to do with being sexist. For example many people say that Guy Hairdressers are more creative - Maybe they are maybe they are not, I wouldn't know as I have never employed one. Hence my original question!

From a consumer point of view I actually far prefer having my hair done by a man. My wonderful stylist Gary is an absolute peach, and I adore him! He seems to have far more of a creative vision than any of the female stylists I have had- not sure if that is just him, or because he is a man! He has totally revamped my hair and hearing 'my God you look flippin gorgeous' after a cut n style from a guy seems to mean more to a woman imo!
If this applicant is the best hairdresser then go for it!

From a consumer point of view I actually far prefer having my hair done by a man. My wonderful stylist Gary is an absolute peach, and I adore him! He seems to have far more of a creative vision than any of the female stylists I have had- not sure if that is just him, or because he is a man! He has totally revamped my hair and hearing 'my God you look flippin gorgeous' after a cut n style from a guy seems to mean more to a woman imo!
If this applicant is the best hairdresser then go for it!

Thanks, that is almost identical to what someone else said to me the other day.

Personally I dont think it makes any difference, whoever you employ needs to be experienced, talented, qualified and insured, friendly, a good communicator and a good organiser, and have excellent excellent customer service skills. I dont believe a persons gender comes into that personally.

I've known 'guy' stylists that were terrible.
Some were great.
Some I didn't care for their personality.
Some I loved their personality.

It's the EXACT same as with women.
The only difference... the plumbing.

While I think that you believe you aren't being sexist... the very question says otherwise. Please don't take offense.
But I truly don't understand why there would be "pros" and "cons"

NOW if you were asking about a male esthetician/beautician... that I might understand.
"IF" I were inclined to get waxed, I certainly wouldn't want a guy doing my nether-regions.
But that's me, and not everyone.

Personally, it's all up to the qualifications and experience the stylist has and not where they wear pants or not.

I must say that it does seem a rather old fashioned view. Apart from anything else, it's illegal to employ anyone in the UK based on what sex they are.

Oh FFS, I knew it wouldn't be long before the 'Sexist Police' came on the scene :rolleyes:

If he/she is good at his/her job i wouldn't care if he/she was sky blue pink with yellow dots as long as my hair looked fab when i left hth

TBH i think the fact ur asking is slightly sexist, but I alos understand what you mean. I disagree that a man is more creative than a lady, surely its different types of people who are creative not necessarily a man or woman.
it should be based purely on the skills etc of the person
x

Oh FFS, I knew it wouldn't be long before the 'Sexist Police' came on the scene :rolleyes:

Ha ha.......even if that was directed at me, you still made me laugh. Love it!

Last edited:
If he's a fabulous stylist, why not go for it? Sometimes its good to have a change...X

It seems you have gotten defensive when sexism is mentioned,however there are NO pro's or con's of being a certain gender,the question should be,is this candidate better for the job than other applicants based upon experience and personality :idea:

I've worked in male dominated offices, and female offices where I was the only guy. Both work, its not about the sex its about the personality to get on with everyone and the quality of their work.

Unfortunately, if the guy you are looking to employ reads this and you offer someone else the job he could have grounds to take you to court if he so wanted.

Everyone needs to be very careful posting anything related to employment of staff or potential staff on public forums.

Mat

I've worked in male dominated offices, and female offices where I was the only guy. Both work, its not about the sex its about the personality to get on with everyone and the quality of their work.

Unfortunately, if the guy you are looking to employ reads this and you offer someone else the job he could have grounds to take you to court if he so wanted.

Everyone needs to be very careful posting anything related to employment of staff or potential staff on public forums.

Mat

talk about an over reaction. What rank are you in the 'Sexist Police', Sargeant, Inspector, Chief Inspector or Superintendent?

People like you and others make me sick with your high and mighty stance. Oh and your attempts to turn this thread into something it is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems you have gotten defensive when sexism is mentioned,however there are NO pro's or con's of being a certain gender,the question should be,is this candidate better for the job than other applicants based upon experience and personality :idea:

Because I cannot understand why sexism is even coming into it. It was a general question really about ability and who would make the better Hairdresser in many people's opinion on here. Afterall its others bringing up the 'sexism' ****e, not me.

I have to say there is something quite appealing having my hair done by a fella.....same as i am sure there are men out there who would find it appealing to have their car serviced by a girl....or maybe i am just a sexist flirt...PMSL

chill guys..xxx

Because I cannot understand why sexism is even coming into it. It was a general question really about ability and who would make the better Hairdresser in many people's opinion on here. Afterall its others bringing up the 'sexism' ****e, not me.

Which you got ! People's opinion is simply that it depends on the individual candidate rather than their gender :!:

Ok Fitz, answering your original question:-

I would hire a member of staff on two things, skill and personality. To be successful in business, you need one as much as the other. You can usually teach skill (not always) but you can never give someone a personality.

We all know people that have been going to the same stylist/tech for years because they like them, even though they may not be the best in world.

As far as men go.........women love a male stylist if he's good looking or gay..........expecially if he makes them laugh and chats. So if he's none of those, make sure he's brilliant at cutting hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back