Infills too thick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kay welch

Reaction score
I have read my nail class book back to front and front to back but my infills are to thick.I thin and try and not apply to much white just on the smile but when i look at the nails from underneath they are still to thick:grr: its really annoying me.From the top looking at the nails they are fine but its like they need thinning from underneath and you cant get your file in there.Maybe a drill would be handy for this not that i can afford one so that is out of the question.Also i think i am working to wet as when i put down my bead i see a little ring of monomer settle around it should i wipe more or dip longer.I think this is why i get dingle berries (geegs words) as when i smooth it sort of comes down and of the free edge.i thi because i am working to wet.

When doing a rebalance/infill I used to go as if I was going a full set, applying as much as I would even though I had only filled 1/2 of what was there making my infills 150% of what they were at a full set if that makes sense??!?!

Practicing with smaller beads seemed to sort out the problems!!

HTH

Have a look at the tutorial that Geeg did on this as its very helpful!
Good luck.x

yeah its the same as my nail class and i have read it over and over and know what i am supposed to be doing but it aint happening

when i infill, i only fill up to the highest point "the apex" then, when i shorten the nail it automatically creates a thicker end, i then taper this thickness off while moving the apex back at the same time. Shaping and shortening i leave till last. This always keeps the nail the same thickness and in balance at all times.
I hope this makes sense, i can visualise the process, i hope you can also.

I drill out my whites, so i can't help you there. (I have an even stranger method of doing whites)

I drill out my whites, so i can't help you there. (I have an even stranger method of doing whites)

What...?

and like we're gonna let you get away without telling us...:lol: ?

I have read my nail class book back to front and front to back but my infills are to thick.I thin and try and not apply to much white just on the smile but when i look at the nails from underneath they are still to thick:grr: its really annoying me.From the top looking at the nails they are fine but its like they need thinning from underneath and you cant get your file in there.Maybe a drill would be handy for this not that i can afford one so that is out of the question.Also i think I am working to wet as when I put down my bead i see a little ring of monomer settle around it should i wipe more or dip longer.I think this is why i get dingle berries (geegs words) as when i smooth it sort of comes down and of the free edge.i thi because i am working to wet.
I think you are definitely working too wet if you are getting a monomer ring around the bead when it settles. Try practicing beads on a piece of clear plastic..... try wiping the brush more on the edge of the dappen dish to take a lot more monomer out of the belly of the brush. Then pick up a bead and put it on the plastic, if again you get it settle almost flat and get a monomer ring then try again and wipe more...count how many times you do wipe and increase this one extra at a time until you get a correct bead....it should settle slightly and go smooth looking...if it stays about the same as when you put it on the plastic it is too dry. It all depends on how big a bead you want as to how long you leave the brush in the powder and how much you wipe the brush on the dappen dish....its practice again I am afraid. The good thing about clear plastic is, once the bead is dry you can flex the plastic and the settled dry bead will just pop off and you can re-use the plastic again....I use clear as I can see the bead from all angles including underneath.
If you file the white thin enough before you start to do the infills/rebalance then you should not get it too thick at the free edge, maybe you are leaving too much on there....I thin the free edge and the part of zone 2 that is now part of the free edge due to regrowth, right down thin and then I can get the application nice and thin again when I replace the smile line. HTH

Latest posts

Back