Ingrown hairs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shell-Perfect10

Reaction score
Hi there,

Got my first waxing done about 2 weeks ago since falling pregnant (17 weeks now) and my ingrown hairs are horrendous!! So itchy and I have rashes all over my lower legs, proper lumps on my bikini line and loads of red spots on my girly bits! I have been exfoliating and I'm pretty sure it's something to do with pregnancy as I'm really happy with the therapist and the lycon products she uses.
Any suggestions on what will help to clear it up? And what will help the itching on my legs? Xxx

What about using a ingrown/bump preventer like No Bump Skin Treatment. Or even a solution with salicylic acid, like OXY pads for acne would work. Ingrown hair occur because the pore gets clogged with skin cells, exfoliating the pores will keep it from happening. Being pregnant will also cause you hair to grow faster than normal in your nether regions, you've got more blood flowing to that area now for your little one. Just be careful with waxing, when I was 36 weeks pregnant, I decided to wax my girl parts and took a chunk of skin out...it required a trip to the hospital! I'm sure all the nurses and doctors had a good laugh that night. I learned my lesson, never ever wax yourself when you can't see what you're doing., LOL!!

Some people find that magnesium sulphate works really well on the ingrown hairs and helps to draw them out, so maybe give that a try.

I would normally suggest anti histamine cream to reduce the itch on the legs, if its okay to take these when you are pregnant they may help otherwise maybe something soothing like witchazel or aloe vera gel..

Jack

Some people find that magnesium sulphate works really well on the ingrown hairs and helps to draw them out, so maybe give that a try.

I would normally suggest anti histamine cream to reduce the itch on the legs, if its okay to take these when you are pregnant they may help otherwise maybe something soothing like witchazel or aloe vera gel..

Jack

I had to take anti-histamine while I was pregnant and I was allowed to take the drowsy type but not the non-drowsy ones...

Was it a different therapist to your usual one or a different wax? I wax women through every stage if pregnancy and none of them have had anything like this.

I get quite bad ingrown hairs and even when Im Due for my next wax i still have them!! They stick around for ages! I've used magnesium sulphate its ok but I don't find it great!! The last wax I had I used all my dermalogica ultra calming products and its been amazing!! Really calm and soothed it rather than get worse!

Prevention is better than cure and my clients get great results if they exfoliate with a dry brush or A Bit Of Rough - Japanese Style Wash Cloth (does front and back and is great wet too). Then when you are still wet from the show/bath, apply baby oil and rub in and then towel dry; that way you won't feel greasy.

Some people are just prone to them regardless of how much aftercare they do and some people do no aftercare and don't get one.

You may have a case of Folliculitis which can be caused when women receive waxing during pregnancy. It occurs when normally present levels of Staphlococcus bacteria on the skin enter the opened hair follicles and cause pustules, irritation and itching. I remember being told of folliculitis conditions when at college.

I believe the reason is due to the compromised immune system during pregnancy. Get yourself off to the GP he will be able to recommended a cream to ease the symptoms xx

Was it a different therapist to your usual one or a different wax? I wax women through every stage if pregnancy and none of them have had anything like this.

Yeah same girl and products I know her really well and trust her so I don't think it's anything she is doing. Shes very well trained, with you Kim and also with Lycon. She exfoliates with a dry brush before waxing and I do always get ingrown hairs but these are def the worst I've had but my hair is growing alot more quickly I wonder if that would have anything to do with it? I'm going to try a few suggestions thanks guys xxx

Prevention is better than cure and my clients get great results if they exfoliate with a dry brush or A Bit Of Rough - Japanese Style Wash Cloth (does front and back and is great wet too). Then when you are still wet from the show/bath, apply baby oil and rub in and then towel dry; that way you won't feel greasy.

Some people are just prone to them regardless of how much aftercare they do and some people do no aftercare and don't get one.

Just ordered this great tip thank you :)

Yeah same girl and products I know her really well and trust her so I don't think it's anything she is doing. Shes very well trained, with you Kim and also with Lycon. She exfoliates with a dry brush before waxing and I do always get ingrown hairs but these are def the worst I've had but my hair is growing alot more quickly I wonder if that would have anything to do with it? I'm going to try a few suggestions thanks guys xxx
That's good then, so nothing new that's caused it. Must be the changes in your body during pregnancy that's all. Hope you sort it soon. x

I use anti-histamine when it gets too itchy that I can't handle it anymore. It works in a snap.

Could be a condition called obstetric cholestasis which causes itching and nothing to do with waxing at all. I'd see your midwife and tell her what's been happening as can be quite serious x

Actually, as you're only 17 weeks it's highly unlikely but I'd still mention it anyway. Itching drove me mad in pregnancy!!!

caution!

if you do use the OXY pads with salicylic acid, just beware that salicylic acid is a natural form of aspirin. i have a allergy to products/foods containing salicylates and can't use these pads. being pregnant you need to be careful what you use on your body/skin

xxx

caution!

if you do use the OXY pads with salicylic acid, just beware that salicylic acid is a natural form of aspirin. i have a allergy to products/foods containing salicylates and can't use these pads. being pregnant you need to be careful what you use on your body/skin

xxx

If pregnant you shouldn't use over 2% salicylic acid! Not sure if the oxy pads state how much SA they contain

Hi there,

Got my first waxing done about 2 weeks ago since falling pregnant (17 weeks now) and my ingrown hairs are horrendous!! So itchy and I have rashes all over my lower legs, proper lumps on my bikini line and loads of red spots on my girly bits! I have been exfoliating and I'm pretty sure it's something to do with pregnancy as I'm really happy with the therapist and the lycon products she uses.
Any suggestions on what will help to clear it up? And what will help the itching on my legs? Xxx

Maybe not helpful but I within the last 5 years have had ingrown hairs resulting in 3 operations 1 on my bikini line, 2 on my lady bits also:o ( im not especially hairy) the doctors have just told me its just the way my hair grows. But like i say before 5 years ago ive never had it so it might not be to do with waxing or pregnancy xx

Tend skin is a fantastic product for ingrown hairs and Biodepyl from Thalgo is also very good!

The trouble with Tend Skin and the likes is that it is very drying to the skin.

Exfoliate, baby oil and if you still get them, Magnesium Sulphate.

I got a very firm cactus body brush and no itching or ingrown hairs since! Xxx

Latest posts

Back